• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nubs Nob is selling the equivalent of its Pali Chair, the Blue Lift for $400 but to passholders only via lottery.

Half are being saved for charity and for parts/spares for their other Poma double chair, but about 25 are being sold.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nubs Nob is selling the equivalent of its Pali Chair, the Blue Lift for $400 but to passholders only via lottery.

Half are being saved for charity and for parts/spares for their other Poma double chair, but about 25 are being sold.
I rode that chair a fair amount. Went to look for pics with it, but didn't find any.

James

Out There
Instructor
They should raffle a few off to people who’ve held seasons passes. Maybe you start at 3 passes and get a certain number of tickets for each year. Something to increase the odds of winning for people who’ve had a lot of passes. Or you just hold raffles in categories. Like 10 years, 5 years etc. Then the winner pays a minimal fee to deliver it. At least build some good will.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I rode that chair a fair amount. Went to look for pics with it, but didn't find any.
I had heard, at least in early March pre Covid they had gotten over 200 requests. They joked they could’ve made a small fortune selling the chairs but wanted to keep it reasonable for the passholders. That way at least families and others in the community have a shot and can afford the price so they don’t all just become porch pieces for the 1% crowd out on Harbor Pointe or Bay Harbor.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They should raffle a few off to people who’ve held seasons passes. Maybe you start at 3 passes and get a certain number of tickets for each year. Something to increase the odds of winning for people who’ve had a lot of passes. Or you just hold raffles in categories. Like 10 years, 5 years etc. Then the winner pays a minimal fee to deliver it. At least build some good will.
i think the structure of the raffle for the opportunity to purchase for the chairs @$400-$500 is for the boring tax/accounting purposes, so in essense the $500 or so is the "minimum fee" or pethaps you'd say "nominal fee".

You wouldn't want this to be categorized as a sweepstakes with prizes that they'd have to create all the legal structure and documents and blowing this up to a big complicated thing (including typically write in for free entry). And with a prize of value, they'd have to send you a tax forms later as this would be a prize/winning which is due taxes making the winner mad, or they'd have to bundle in a cash component to the prize to prepay your tax+tax on cash making it even more complicated.
On the resort side, accounting also needs their books balanced too and the capex amortizationfor this to get to $0. And they dont want a big thing to have to account for a sweepstakes.
So still having it as a sale at the fair used / replacement equipment value makes it simpler for all parties.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Just limit it to pass holders. It’s not a contest. Can’t be that hard, come on. You might be able to say it’s value is the weight in scrap. If the chair weighs 500lbs that’s like $25 at the scrap yard, and you have to pay to get it there. It’s essentially close to worthless, but probably worth enough to get it hauled away for nothing.

I don’t see how the current raffle rewards multi year passholders. The endless attempts to make money off everything is ridiculous. Because then they spend money and debate advertising anyway. This chair issue is positive or negative advertising.

People spending $2,500 on a chair for charity can probably deduct most of it since the value is close to nothing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you're tying the chance to win something valued at $500 to having a pass and not for charity you fall under sweepstakes rules. Sorry thems the laws. Thats why often sweepstakes always have writein for free entry to get avoid having to write up the more complex structures for restricted entry. Raffle for the Opportunity to buy has $0 intrinsic value so that is defendable and you can run that promotion without legal stuff.

The sale has to be balanced on resort side. So even if scrap value is $25, the resort accountants might say on the books value still have it as $500, so youre asking them to write it up as $25 scrapped without it actually being scrapped. They would say its was still a sale have to categorize the $475 plug as a giveaway/loss on sale instead, and the accounting can of worms open.

Yes they can probably do it and fudge the numbers or categorization, and chances are nobody would spot it or likely care. But no resort or accountant is going to risk their reputation and audit over this stupid thing

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But I wouldn’t pay $2,500 for an old rusty chair. Or $50. I just don’t see the point. I have no use for it, no place to put it, and separated from its environment, it doesn’t seem to have any special meaning for me.
I’m a sentimental person, just not about objects.
Well I MIGHT pay $50.00 for one, but that would be about it. I've got enough semi useless/useless objects in my life to try to get rid of before I die.........................:ogbiggrin:

SamR

Booting up
Skier
Killington was selling triple chairs from the North Ridge Triple for about $300 each last year. The main sentimental value for those chairs was being the first lift to open in the East most seasons.

Killington also left chairs from the quad on Devil's Fiddle near the abandoned loading area. I kind of went exploring about five years ago. Maybe they are still rusting away? That lift was closed by the time I started skiing there, so I don't know if there is any sentimental value. All of the towers, and the loading and unloading areas, are still standing abandoned today.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the quad on Devil's Fiddle near the abandoned loading area. I kind of went exploring about five years ago. Maybe they are still rusting away? That lift was closed by the time I started skiing there
That chair was underused even when it was new. Maybe because the trail itself was underused, and the chair only served that one trail.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That being said, what establishes the value of a chair?
Do you have a favorite chair that you'd pay a premium for?

Demand and what people are willing to pay for it which I think for Pali chairs is about $5,000 each or so tops give or take.

Pali has extra value due to the fact that it is one of the iconic lifts in Colorado and North America. Lots of people want one on their property for show. Definitely a conversation piece.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That way at least families and others in the community have a shot and can afford the price so they don’t all just become porch pieces for the 1% crowd out on Harbor Pointe or Bay Harbor.

They will anyway :huh:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What establishes the value ? Think for some of us it’s more about the memories of amazing ski days gone by.

Somehow a ski chair showed up at my house, I’m not really sure how it got there :ogcool:

It is from a small ski area my wife and I skied at for almost 27years. All three of our kids learn, raced and even taught there.
On one hand it’s priceless to be able to sit on the front porch rocking away, having a cold one with my ski buddy but 6k for a Pali chair.....that would be a no !

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
6k for a Pali chair.....that would be a no !
1590182556737.jpeg

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Would love a Pali chair as I spent way too much time in the 70's early 80's lapping that chair with my van parked at the base. Now its the Beach and you pay to party there so I can see why the cost of these chairs are large and going up. When you rode the Pali you were making memories but it cost less back then.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Yes $2500 is a bit much for a useless ornament, however I would like to have one of these chairs. My guess is that there will be no shortage of patrons putting up $50 for the chance to purchase. I may do so myself, maybe even purchase more than one $50 chance????. It would be the first lift chair most kentuckians have ever seen.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes $2500 is a bit much for a useless ornament, however I would like to have one of these chairs. My guess is that there will be no shortage of patrons putting up $50 for the chance to purchase. I may do so myself, maybe even purchase more than one $50 chance????. It would be the first lift chair most kentuckians have ever seen.
Maybe we can pick it up for you and deliver it to Kentucky :)
Let us know if you need assistance for the "more than one" chance.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Thanks for the offer Tricia. Walked around the yard to find a good hanging place and came up with a few branches that might work. Candy has yet to appreciate the true value of my idea but has not kicked me out of the house - so I guess she approves. I requested her portion of the stimulus cash and she reminded me that none of it (neither my portion nor her portion) is available for me to spend.
Ill be in touch about upping the odds of being a lucky selectee to have their name drawn.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I would think that a chair would be a nice addition to one's outdoor living space. At $2,500, that's an expensive chair, but if you have the funds, need a seat and want to support the Basin in these troubled times, then maybe it's not too much.

I'd love to have one, but I don't have the need for one at that price; any price really. I'm cutting down on clutter in my life. Slowly, but inevitably.

Sponsor