• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would think that a chair would be a nice addition to one's outdoor living space. At $2,500, that's an expensive chair, but if you have the funds, need a seat and want to support the Basin in these troubled times, then maybe it's not too much.

I'd love to have one, but I don't have the need for one at that price; any price really. I'm cutting down on clutter in my life. Slowly, but inevitably.
Right now with the bids being where they are...the novelty of where the bidding is overshadows the idea of having a chair. Hell, I might consider a magic carpet to the peak of The Dog Bowl.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would think that a chair would be a nice addition to one's outdoor living space. At $2,500, that's an expensive chair, but if you have the funds, need a seat and want to support the Basin in these troubled times, then maybe it's not too much.

I'd love to have one, but I don't have the need for one at that price; any price really. I'm cutting down on clutter in my life. Slowly, but inevitably.
Much like my grandma's RR bench, which adorns my front porch, I could make room for a chair lift chair in my back yard, but I'm not sure how much function it would have over being a conversation piece.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Right now with the bids being where they are...the novelty of where the bidding is overshadows the idea of having a chair. Hell, I might consider a magic carpet to the peak of The Dog Bowl.
Dang, I just looked at the bidding. Currently $10500, with 4 days of bidding left.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dang, I just looked at the bidding. Currently $10500, with 4 days of bidding left.
Damn, for that price it should come with a liftie. If it hits $15K, the liftie needs to be able to pass a drug test.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister

Well, I guess one out of four ain't too bad. It would be a nice addition but we don't really need a seat. As for supporting ABasin - I have nothing against it but am more interested in my own funds than those of ABasin as they probably have more $$$$ than we do. With that said, they have the chair that I will get only if I give them $2,500.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool blog post today

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nubs Nob is selling the equivalent of its Pali Chair, the Blue Lift for $400 but to passholders only via lottery.

Half are being saved for charity and for parts/spares for their other Poma double chair, but about 25 are being sold.
I rode that chair a fair amount. Went to look for pics with it, but didn't find any.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Gary Stolt here's you're chance to get a chair for a price that the lovely bride won't notice!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got my chair from Crystal Mountain about 2012 and paid $250 for it. At the time, I knew they were going to sell them and bugged management to put me on a list for one which the did. They sold out quick. If I remember correctly, the money went to the ski patrol.
The current value of my powder coated and rehung chair ---- priceless.
Pics?

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Here you go. [ Was already in the chair lift thread]
P1050118.jpg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Per my prev post, I don't see how they can get away with this not being classified as an illegal lottery. Even the $50 "raffle" with only a portion and not ALL of that consideration going to a charity is really obviously breaking the law.
I suppose all the lawyers are busy with the passholder lawsuits and/or waiting for them to just step onto this landmine first and then they'll jump in and file a class action on the lottery losers. Or on the othet side the inhouse lawyers are just waiting to bill a ton of hours to help abasin mitigate this mistake and avoid fines/prison.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Per my prev post, I don't see how they can get away with this not being classified as an illegal lottery. Even the $50 "raffle" with only a portion and not ALL of that consideration going to a charity is really obviously breaking the law.
I suppose all the lawyers are busy with the passholder lawsuits and/or waiting for them to just step onto this landmine first and then they'll jump in and file a class action on the lottery losers. Or on the othet side the inhouse lawyers are just waiting to bill a ton of hours to help abasin mitigate this mistake and avoid fines/prison.
I can't imagine that the powers at A-Basin didn't look into it.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Not all of it was for a cost.

I don't think raffles are flat out banned in Colorado, even ones that charge for a ticket. I expect they obtained a license from the state.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not all of it was for a cost.

I don't think raffles are flat out banned in Colorado, even ones that charge for a ticket. I expect they obtained a license from the state.

Originally though the People drawing was Pay $10 to get a ticket to them for chance to win 1 chair. Losers get nothing. A straight up illegal lottery. I bet they probably even justified it themselves as we sell 255 tickets we're actually going to match the other sale, and if we sell more than 255, we're profitting! What a great idea.

It was only week later they changed it up and gave everyone's money back and re-released it with those rules as a no-purchase-necessary legal sweepstakes, but not before having to give the money back to those that paid in some $10 bills.

Because they initially had it so blatantly as an illegal lottery, I actually think they have no concept what's legal and not, so I would bet they didn't pursue a raffle license at all. Since the "list" sale offer still is up in it's illegal form, I guarantee they have no license.

As you pointed out, legally, you not only need to all the proceeds to charity or restricted orgs to hold a raffle; but you're also supposed to get a license and submit to other limits and prerequisites (usually frequency). Not everyone can get a raffle license, it's got a lot of prereqs plus a lot of paperwork and bookkeeping. Look how long that Legal doc is and all you have to do.

But I believe in practice, what I've observed in most areas, as long as 100% of your proceeds are funding a charity, I don't think the regulators enforce the law for the paperwork and licenses. It's like the brown paper bag rule for outdoor drinking at a tailgate or having a home poker game for money. It's technically still illegal. They look the other way since the spirit is there to 100% support a charity. Especially for infrequent events like once a year, unless someone complains.

When you're starting to keep any portion of the money, that's the line where you're breaking the spirit of the law, and you're pushing your luck on the enforcement leniency. Making it public and putting it in on the website is then flaunting the law.

What if you just kept 5% to "cover costs". Well how about slippery sloping this to keeping 25%, 50%, 95%, 99%? I think any kept money at all crosses the line.

So, even the $50 to join the "list" is technically illegal. If it all went to charity without a license they will likely not enforce . Without the money going to charity, it should draw the eye of the regulators. The losers of the list get nothing for their $50, but the winners get everything and that's gambling.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Huh? When was the drawing supposed to be?

If they refund everyone, that is an expensive deal 10000 people (guessing) x $20 x 2.5% = $5,000 in fees paid that you don't get back when you issue a refund.