• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What does "ski the slow line fast" mean?

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Just saw 4ster on the hill at Northstar, CA last week! We go way back and he is a great resource for sure! If you ever get over Tahoe way give me a call! Would be happy to take a look at your alignment and perhaps your skiing!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is getting into a separate thread topic, but take it from a dyed-in-the-wool Ice Coast skier. The firmer the "snow", the more perfect you have to be. An over-reached pole plant can ruin whatever edge grip you have. An under-reached pole plant can ruin your edge grip too. Too little outside ski pressure is bad. Too much outside ski pressure is bad.

I've had the opportunity to see myself on video after skiing ice several times. I participate in a race league on Tuesday nights, and they video every run, so I see what I looked like, every week, all season long. I usually finish thinking that I was sliding like crazy and fighting for whatever edge grip I can find the entire way... and then I look at the video. Now while the video doesn't make me look like the second coming of Mikaela, it never looks anywhere close to as bad as it felt either.

So don't be too hard on yourself when it comes to firm conditions. Those people you see who make icy conditions look effortless? They're probably sliding more than you think they are, and they're probably having more "oh s---" moments than you think.

Keep in mind the principles that we've discussed in this thread ("go" thoughts lead to skis that are traveling in the direction they're pointed more than they don't) and the end result winds up looking pretty good.
You are good for one's confidence for sure!
My husband did comment it looked like I was skiing well. I guess compared to the end of my season last year, it doesn't feel even remotely as well.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just saw 4ster on the hill at Northstar, CA last week! We go way back and he is a great resource for sure! If you ever get over Tahoe way give me a call! Would be happy to take a look at your alignment and perhaps your skiing!
Thanks, Bud! I appreciate it. I wish 4ster was still teaching at Snowbasin. I never did get to ski with him last season since he was mostly at Powder Mountain.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe what you're trying to remember was: "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great"
Yes! Thank you!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I am so disappointed that private lessons anymore are so expensive.

Hey Amy ... here's a thought for you:

http://www.skithebeav.com/c/mountain/lessons/private-lessons

You're probably more likely to encounter icy conditions there :0 ... and they do hourly rates rather than full day.

Private Lessons
Private lessons are available in hourly increments and are often available on a walk-in basis. However, reservations are recommended and may be made during the season by calling (435) 946-3610, extension 1. Lessons are available for the first-time beginner to advanced riders. There is no minimum age for private lessons.

Prices for Private Lessons

$55 for 1 hr, $20 for each additional person.
$95 for 2 hrs, $35 for each additional person.
$135 for 3 hrs, $50 for each additional person.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Amy ... here's a thought for you:

http://www.skithebeav.com/c/mountain/lessons/private-lessons

You're probably more likely to encounter icy conditions there :0 ... and they do hourly rates rather than full day.

Private Lessons
Private lessons are available in hourly increments and are often available on a walk-in basis. However, reservations are recommended and may be made during the season by calling (435) 946-3610, extension 1. Lessons are available for the first-time beginner to advanced riders. There is no minimum age for private lessons.

Prices for Private Lessons

$55 for 1 hr, $20 for each additional person.
$95 for 2 hrs, $35 for each additional person.
$135 for 3 hrs, $50 for each additional person.

I'd probably love skiing there. I love small mountains. But I wonder what the quality of instruction would be? I could ask around if anybody knows a good instructor up there.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'd probably love skiing there. I love small mountains. But I wonder what the quality of instruction would be? I could ask around if anybody knows a good instructor up there.

All I can tell you is that about 15 years ago I took a one hour private there that I extended an additional hour because I found it valuable. But I have family in Logan and could ask if there's a particular instructor they could recommend ... it probably wouldn't be direct experience, but might be someone they know.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Again, you are describing me. I have strength and rhythm but lack coordination big time.
You ride show horses or dressage correct? I have not done either but I was a decent horseman and was improving at team roping until my favorite horse went permanently lame. I got so depressed over it that I just quit riding all together. I know for a fact that good riding technique requires quite a bit of coordination so I I don't see how you can say you aren't coordinated. Don't be so hard on yourself.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You ride show horses or dressage correct? I have not done either but I was a decent horseman and was improving at team roping until my favorite horse went permanently lame. I got so depressed over it that I just quit riding all together. I know for a fact that good riding technique requires quite a bit of coordination so I I don't see how you can say you aren't coordinated. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Thank you, Gerry. Yes, it actually does require a lot of coordination and timing and feel. The difference is I started riding when I was 7 so it's second nature to me. Which is one reason I've been so frustrated that skiing hasn't come more easily to me. I'll keep working on it, though as I'm always up for a challenge!

Horses are surprisingly delicate creatures for as big and powerful as they are...

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
upload_2015-12-21_20-42-31.png

This was Charlie, 15 hands, former USTR and PRCA rope horse and the best uncle horse ever.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's awesome, Gerry! What a great looking horse!

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
What does "uncle horse" mean?
A male horse, generally a gelding, who takes over care of a foal after the mare is no longer around. The mare we had was not a very nice mama after the foal got to be about 4 months old. We moved Charlie into the pasture where they were because we were getting rid of the mama. Charlie and the foal, Magic, bonded instantly and he protected Magic from her own mother. She kicked Magic one day when I was at the barn and I thought Charlie was going to kill her. He backed her into a corner and kicked the hell out of her until I drove him off. I loaded the mama up that day and moved her to another pasture. He was also a great sprinter. The first time I tried him for roping he literally left the gate without me. He took off so fast when he bell clanged that the steer never got more than about 10 feet away, perfect for throwing a loop for team roping.

Sponsor

Staff online