• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What does reduces kick mean??

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ever used this stuff? What does "reduces kick" mean? Is that reduces grip? I have these skins: Black Diamond GlideLite Mohair Mix STS is our easiest and most versatile mohair and nylon mix system.

I like the sound of improves glide. I have them "wall to wall" on 185 cm Blizzard Zero G 108mm skis and I find they have plenty of grip, but not much glide. The more I use them (about 6 times now) the glide gets a little better, but in some snow types they are downright sticky.

1585173039573.png

DESCRIPTION

Sponge-on waterproofing for Ski Skins. Repels water, stops saturation, reduces kick, improves glide.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used it. I am sure, 'reduces kick' is a typo :D.
It's just a water repellant for skins instead of jackets. Hard to tell whether not it works better or worse than others, iI have never done a side by side test on each foot.
Mainly it is to keep the skins from getting iced up. Side benefit might be that they dry quicker.
I wouldn't expect it to improve glide noticeably when icing is not an issue. But it probably helps a bit in wet snow, just like waxing your skis in wet snow does.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't complicate with some special (and expensive) stuff that works worse then cheap option that you already have at home... Take any ski wax (I use Swix BP88 as it's softer then most of other waxes), and just "wax" skins. Drag wax block from tip to tail over ski and it does the job. Snow sticking is gone, and skins are noticeably faster. That's reason, why I always have small piece of it in my backpack too. Never used it myself, but few friends were greatfull :D I'm sure some HF10 would do even better then BP88, but it's "a little bit" of overkill in my mind :D
PS: That's for nylon/mohair skis, not for some plastic stuff like Fischer for example has. For that, I have no idea what would work.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't complicate with some special (and expensive) stuff that works worse then cheap option that you already have at home... Take any ski wax (I use Swix BP88 as it's softer then most of other waxes), and just "wax" skins. Drag wax block from tip to tail over ski and it does the job. Snow sticking is gone, and skins are noticeably faster. That's reason, why I always have small piece of it in my backpack too. Never used it myself, but few friends were greatfull :D I'm sure some HF10 would do even better then BP88, but it's "a little bit" of overkill in my mind :D
PS: That's for nylon/mohair skis, not for some plastic stuff like Fischer for example has. For that, I have no idea what would work.
After you rub the wax on the skins, iron them at low temperature

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
While I heard some do that, I'm not sure I want to try this, so for now rubbing does the job. And it holds surprisingly long. While for me, waxing skis is normal thing after every skiing, "waxing" skins is only maybe once every 2 months, so that's long for me :)
Maybe when I will have some old skins to throw away, I will actually try to iron them too, but for any of current 3 pairs I have, I just don't dare to do this :)

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I sprayed my skins with silicone water proofing and rubbed some glide wax on. More glide and less stick, I was pleased

Sponsor

Staff online