• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
But if you think you can, try skiing on langlauf ski's and see how it goes. Here is a taste:

There are quite some racing teams who do this to their kids btw. Even into powder. Very hilarious indeed! ;p Makes you appreciate shaped/cambered ski's lol!

Hmmm..... Good that they wear helmets while xc-skiing. Hope that was a compilation of crashes and not how it looks like in real time.

Don't think 1x time at the lift will help much but playing weekly on XC-skis will develop a lot of ski-feel. Average Norwegian kids would have done a lot better than that... ;)

Finding a relatively flat area would be better than going to lifts. Make rollers, small jumps, turns, elements where you have to bend. Play games where you bend down to pick up stuff at speed, throw bags, hunt each other while skating, relays, skate through turns, balance on one ski, ski in hockey-position etc. A lot of stuff will transfer to all types of skiing.

Taking my 8 year old to our first XC-cross race in February and looking forward to it.:)

Turning on XC-skis is definitively possible, but different than on alpine gear. Of course on can make turns on on reverse chamber/sidecut skis...

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
@James
You don't have to read anything.

What @slowrider posted is a very nice example. You can clearly see those wooden things going in a straight line after he pivoted them. That is the only way to make them turn. Pivot and go straight.
Edit 2:
Screenshot_20200105-214150_YouTube.jpg

This line is dead straight. That was my experience on planks too. Pivot, straight line, pivot, straight line...

Edit:
This one is nice too. You can see how hard it is to make those things turn even though skateboards have some shape.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
1000 Steps might help them turn. A series of gripping edged step-turns will do the trick, dontcha think?

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1000 Steps might help them turn. A series of gripping edged step-turns will do the trick, dontcha think?

I'm assuming you're talking about the folks on the 2x4s and the skateboards. If so, then yeah, they could step turn if they wanted to, but I'm not sure it would resemble the 1000 steps drills on skis. On skis, you're already turning, and stepping as you turn, right? In this case, they're not turning, so would have to step sideways and with a twist more to redirect themselves. Seems like it would be awkward.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I think it would work. In 1000 steps, the turn comes from the way you point your skis each time you step, not from the sidecut, not from the bend in ze ski, not from any on-snow turning of the ski. You walk yourself into a turn. Or march, whatever you want to call it. Notice in this video that the skier diverges the tips with each step to cause the turn.

Sponsor

Staff online