• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok, some good points here which I'll use.

@LiquidFeet !! That list looks like a month's worth!

I always wonder if I’ll remember how.

Yep. I also wonder how the major joints will cope this time around.

Did someone say work?

:doh:. Ok - how about "What are you fun-ing on?"

Getting my boots on without throwing my back out.

Which recalls all the other little do's and don't that seem to get forgotten from season to season... Like do recharge all the Li battery devices for 1st morning. Do remember to turn on Ski Tracker before coffee break. Do find last year's resort card to avoid paying admin fee for re-issue.

Getting the first fall over with..................

Ugh. Always, always try to ski the entire season without a fall. Sometimes it's a bit of a relief to get that 1st one out of the way so can stop being a candy a$$.

Find some ungroomed and ski the same line over and over until some bumps form.

Good idea. Easier with a bunch of people in a group.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
First day?? I work on not working on anything.

Turn off my brain and just revel in being on snow and having fun.

I generally love to drill and play with nuance and finesse when skiing on groomers, so succeeding at not working on anything for a whole day is a real achievement for me!!! :)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I spend a good amount of time getting comfortable in my boots.

I think my feet relax over the summer. ;-)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Have to laugh. One season, the local home hill in Japan had a hard open date. It dumped a couple of decent cycles before opening, so day one was an amazing powder day. No drills, no nothing. Brain off, point skis down, go. Amazing how it all kicked back in after 2 turns. ogsmile

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well to each their own. I used to leave my phone off all day skiing until my kid got a phone. Of course the one time they got split up in the woods towards closing neither he nor the 13 year old girl answered their phones.

I did finally put an app on my phone for biking since I go alone and hope my wife can find me and save me from the mosquitoes. Again, as long as I remember to turn the gps on.

James

Out There
Instructor
There's 2 types of ppl: those into personal metrics and ...

That reduces the distance covered metric. Although it can result in a better max speed metric. It's a trade-off.
What app tracks distance that closely?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What app tracks distance that closely?

SkiTracks and most other apps track distance traveled, and average and max speed, in addition to vertical. It's all just calculated from the GPS/cell position data along with the elevation data.

Last season, for instance, Ski Tracks shows I skied about 407,000 vertical feet, and 406 miles of distance, with a max speed of 55.2 MPH.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
SkiTracks and most other apps track distance traveled, and average and max speed, in addition to vertical. It's all just calculated from the GPS/cell position data along with the elevation data.

Last season, for instance, Ski Tracks shows I skied about 407,000 vertical feet, and 406 miles of distance, with a max speed of 55.2 MPH.
So if you make 100 turns versus 20 on a single run it’s going to have a different distance? Call me dubious.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well you can look run by run.... just looked at three runs down the same slope at Whitetail. They measured 0.66, 0.64, and 0.69 miles. I don't know if that's due to my turns, or normal inaccuracy/variation, as I've never tried to do a "turn a lot" run to compare to a "go straighter" run. Maybe I'll do that this winter. :) Looking at the 0.69 run, I did start to meander back and forth across the whole slope in the second half, moreso than the first. Maybe that's the difference.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fact: You cover more distance in an hour at 70 mph than at 30 mph (about 40 miles :D).

Has anyone ever done 70mph for one continuous hour on snow skis?

They do it on water skis behind a boat. I suppose it is possible to do behind a snow mobile but the vert feet metric is likely to be limited.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
@geepers You're missing the point; the faster you go, the more distance you cover in a given amount of skiing time.

Of course, it is a mute point. Eventually the thrill of pure speed diminishes and is replaced by the trill of the turn, or you have to keep upping the anti by skiing faster in more dangerous places, and that can't have a good ultimate ending.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm with @Skisailor I just ski and have dimple cramps, I'm so thankful for being back on snow, I don't do any drills I just ski as long as possible. The Last few years Day 1 has been at Whiteface Thanksgiving weekend, there's no slacking at the Face, just skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January