• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Now you're just estimating according to your earlier post below. The 240km included the food shopping?
Other than that, sounds great.

How many turns?

I rounded up slightly given the missing morning runs. But if you care to add up you'll see it's more than fair. Doesn't include the road mileage thanks to @dbostedo tech support.

IMG-3315.png

Interesting how Ski Tracks keeps adding to the 2018/18 season. Wonder when the cut-off date is for 2019/20.

I don't count turns and bumps. Lots of both.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
@geepers, for some reason I thought you were an instructor. Funny, that. I even thought you were working on a higher level of certification. DOH!

I am qualified CSIA L2 and am working on L3 - got the ski assessment, still to get the teach.

I do the CSIA courses rather than APSI as:
1. APSI require working as an instructor to progress **
2. I ski longer periods in Canada than I do in Australia which helps with preparation.

I've made no secret that I have not worked as an instructor. You'll see it stated on several occasions in my posts.

[Here's at least one: https://www.pugski.com/threads/psia...fication-and-teaching.9782/page-5#post-242770 ]

(Would I like to work as an instructor? Of course, but between maintaining domestic bliss and Canadian work visa requirements for anyone over 30 it's not going to happen any time soon.)

** I wish the APSI would allow progression without actual instructor experience. I think they are missing revenue as I know lots of Aussies who do CSIA in Canada for the ski improvement.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
How many turns?
QFT! He who makes the most turns wins :D

I would also agree that hop/spiess turns are pretty high on the list as self improvement drills.
Less than 100 days till northern hemisphere skiing :daffy:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I've not worked as an instructor anywhere and won't be on the cards until the wife retires.

Skiing time in Australia is all free skiing - not even booked for any courses. I'd really like to do Paul Lorenz's carving workshop but the schedule didn't work this season.

In terms of working as an instructor my guess is that it is similar to everywhere else. Irregular hours of work. Pay for new folk is probably better than some other places but Australians seldom tip. If you are not highly qualified most work will be beginner area. An APSI L2 buddy retired from instructing after 5 years mostly teaching the beginner area at the bottom of the mountain. Skied with him most of last week and he said he got more upper mountain skiing in that time than he had all of last instructor season! That's kind of sad after that many years experience.
Frankly, the most important job is teaching beginners and getting them to come back. And there's nothing you teach at advanced levels that isn't relevant at the beginner level. Teaching lower levels is like being paid to work on your own skiing. And it's the most important job in the ski school.

Mike

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
He who makes the most turns wins

Not sure about that. Not a lot of turns here but they sure are good ones.

Frankly, the most important job is teaching beginners and getting them to come back. And there's nothing you teach at advanced levels that isn't relevant at the beginner level. Teaching lower levels is like being paid to work on your own skiing. And it's the most important job in the ski school.

Undoubtedly a lot of truth in that however 5 seasons spent predominantly teaching 1st timers at Friday Flat would be taxing - the clue is in the name. At least a couple of the Canadian resorts I've been to tend to mix it up a little for the instructors so everyone (depending on capability) gets time further up the mountain.

Learning how to teach 1st timers on course turned out to be good fun and the couple of times I've had the opportunity it's been very gratifying seeing them progress and enjoy the sport. Certainly something I'd like to do more often.

At the same time I can't see how teaching 1st timers helps improve high speed pure carving turns or handling moguls. And there's been plenty of comments in other instructing threads regarding issues with making personal progress due to teaching workload.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sure big turns are fine if you’ve got high speed lifts & no crowds... or you’re lazy ;)
15647021631564702148.gif

Nice turns! :golfclap:

Lots of fun early morning when the cord is fresh and most people are still Vegemiting their toast.

Lazy? I'm willing to bet with that performance level you are working it harder than the guy cruising in front.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Lazy? I'm willing to bet with that performance level you are working it harder than the guy cruising in front.
Gotta ski the easy stuff hard before you can ski the hard stuff easy.
Guy in your ski tips video may be making wide turns but he sure has quick feet :ogcool:
Hope you’re having good snow ogsmile

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting my boots on without throwing my back out. Not even kidding. Its happened to me twice in the past five years.. And yes, I do stretch and exercise regularly.
I was going to say bending over far and long enough to get the boots on.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gotta ski the easy stuff hard before you can ski the hard stuff easy.
Guy in your ski tips video may be making wide turns but he sure has quick feet :ogcool:
Hope you’re having good snow ogsmile

Snow's snow - have to make the most of what's given. Quite a few "firm and fast" days...

Here's a couple of well known guys enjoying some wide turns. Can you pick 'em by their style alone?

And a different take, same two guys. A rare mis-steep by that particular individual!

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
My (northern hemisphere) season starts in a couple of weeks on indoor snow slopes here in NL. I booked a few clinics, all focusing on essential elements of skiing. They include perfpormance carving, bumps and short turns. All one-day clinics including video analysis. My first days in the Alps will be at the demo days on STubaier Glacier and in Sölden early November.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Snow's snow - have to make the most of what's given. Quite a few "firm and fast" days...

Here's a couple of well known guys enjoying some wide turns. Can you pick 'em by their style alone?

Is the front guy Lorenz? He has a pretty consistent "gorilla stance" while the other dude is swinging his arms around a little more. How's that for a scientific analysis?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
At the same time I can't see how teaching 1st timers helps improve high speed pure carving turns or handling moguls. And there's been plenty of comments in other instructing threads regarding issues with making personal progress due to teaching workload.

If you can't make the moves at slow speed, you aren't going to be accurate at full speed. Yet teaching beginners is not all you will need to do to progress -- you still need time in the environment.

Mike

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is the front guy Lorenz? He has a pretty consistent "gorilla stance" while the other dude is swinging his arms around a little more. How's that for a scientific analysis?

Ok, a candidate for 1st guy. Who's the 2nd guy? He's probably better known than the 1st guy, especially in the USA.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's Lorenz and Ballou. 100% certain. Ballou was at Thredbo last week on his way to NZ for the Rookies Academy.

Mike

100% right. (Except it was the week before last.)

Rode a lift with one of the Thredbo media guys who helped with the filming. They freaked at the tumble.