Featured What do you work on first day back for the season?

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by geepers, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

Personally, I think day one is the perfect day to practice your PSIA Level 3 maneuvers. First, start with at least 30 minutes of wedge Christies. For extra credit, do them switch. Next, now that you are warmed up, at least 45 minutes of hop turns. Extra credit do one legged hop turns. Next, some easy peezy stuff--backsided pivot slips. Finish up with some switch white pass turns.

The heat might have gotten to me...

Mike

Philpug, geepers, Mendieta and 2 others like this.
  2. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Maybe “firing up the ski app for the year” isn’t as neurotic as it sounds.

Sibhusky likes this.
  3. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Making fresh tracks Instructor

Total nutso!:roflmao:
    Oddly, those things I put in my list I enjoy.
    But wedge turns and wedge christies and hop turns, not on your life.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. James

Wedge/wedge christy - fun. Good thing to do. But the Wrod is not conducive to those.
    Hop- no.
    Switch Whitepass? Hmmm, now I’m going to have to try. Doing it on the outer or inner ski?

5. rustypouch

rustypouch Booting up Skier

Getting my feet under me, and feeling the center of the ski. After that, the basics. Mobility in all joints. Turning led by the lower body. Separation and angulation. Timing and coordination.

6. Steve

Steve Articulating Skier

I too like @Skisailor mostly relish in the joyous feeling of sliding on snow. I also generally have a fall on a very flat section in plain view. After that I don't fall again until possibly on a Western trip.

Edge to edge. Foot awareness. Good release. Focus on the fundamentals, but not really drills.

7. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

After I get my boots on without throwing my back out, the next thing I work on is remembering not to over do it! Take maybe a half hour to warm up then do some hard charging for another two hours or so. I may take a break and go back out for another hour or so... or I may call it a day and schlep the gear back to the car for the three hour drive home. I no longer feel like I've got to get x number of runs or vert to get my money's worth out of a ski ticket. Pushing it just to the point where I'm not miserable the next day is my optimum number of runs regardless of how much driving or ticket window cash was involved.

8. Thread Starter
    TS
    geepers

geepers Out on the slopes Skier

2 days so far. Mostly trying to find the middle of the ski - seems to be missing!

But guilty of fun-ing and not drilling.

Did get a chance to demo some front side skis at a demo day. Would have preferred more time on snow beforehand but you take the opportunities as they come. The Volkl RaceTiger SC seriously good.

Steve and LiquidFeet like this.
  9. Thread Starter
    TS
    geepers

geepers Out on the slopes Skier

ogsmile Got your point just fine. The ski quality metric runs in my head - pure speed is a smaller factor than being uninjured at day’s end. As you describe.

BTW it’s “moot point” not “mute”. :)

Sibhusky likes this.
  10. François Pugh

François Pugh Making fresh tracks Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    Sew much four spill cheque.

geepers, Rostapher and crgildart like this.
  11. James

So, let’s get to the important early season stuff. What are the metrics after two days?

12. 4ster

4ster Now with more photos! Instructor

Whatever I was working on at the end of last season.
    Skiing from the feet up
    Outside ski, outside ski, outside ski!

geepers, Suzski, peterm and 4 others like this.
  13. Don in Morrison

Don in Morrison I Ski Better on Retro Day Skier

Only thing I'm interested in knowing on the first day of the season is if I'm still agile enough to do a javelin spin. So far, so good.

crgildart likes this.
  14. firebanex

firebanex Getting off the lift Skier

Much like everyone else, I spend the first couple runs finding my balance and working on basics. Then I bust out a sled run to rescue someone who hasn't started out easy and blew their knee out on the first run. I figure I'm nice and ready for the season at that point.

geepers, Mendieta and LiquidFeet like this.
  15. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

What? No switch dolphin turns?? Slacker!!

Mike King and Mendieta like this.
  16. JESinstr

JESinstr Lvl 3 1973 Skier

Maybe this thread title should be WHY do you work on what you work on first day back for the season? So far, at the heart of most of the serious contributions here to fore, is the ability to properly balance. Most all the subjects in @geepers first video talk about balancing through the arch. More importantly, balancing through the arch in relation to one's sagittal (Fore and Aft) plane.

For most, there are few activities in the off season that require us to (while on the move) reliably and consistently align our mass though the center of the arch using the flex complex (ankles, knees hips) as regulators in such a combination that we allow for pressure management and dynamic balancing against the continual changes in slope and lateral angulation, not to mention lack of friction. When on edge, feeling the arch compress between the back of the ball of the foot and the front part of the heel is a sure sign that you are in position to work and ride the ski.

So it is no wonder that when you strap on the boards after months of using heel to/and toe based balancing (be it static or dynamic) that your body and brain need a refresher course in how you successfully balance on skis.

17. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Making fresh tracks Instructor

Agree with @JESinstr.
    My fore-aft balance needs to be seriously re-charged after 9 months of low battery.
    Someone who started skiing at age 3 may not need as much "work" on day one (and day 2 and day 3) as does this late bloomer.
    Lateral balance (outside ski balance with edging manipulations) needs recharging too.
    But fore-aft supersedes that in importance.

JESinstr likes this.
  18. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

You can work on dynamic balance on the drylands. This video was on the PSIA newsletter today:

My PT has had me doing agility ladder drills. I think they help a lot.

Of course, there is a difference between doing them with a slippery surface. But using a balance disc certainly moves you in that direction.

Mike

rocdoc and Stacks like this.
  19. eok

eok Slopefossil Skier

What's my drill for the 1st day back on the snow? Make sure I do my AM stretching/warmup exercises before heading out. Then, when on the snow : take my time, take it easy and take plenty of breaks during the day - even if I don't need to. Then, over a few more subsequent ski days, I ramp things up.

20. Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson Out on the slopes Instructor

What about before you go to that first day on snow?