• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
There's a difference between a survival kit, a first-aid kit and a car kit. While I could imagine a use for flares on the mountain, it's unlikely I'll need the tire pressure gauge.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmm on every trip I take i have my little medical kit. It has All the leftover prescription pain pills from the prior couple years. Often for dental work or injuries that they believe I'll need something and just don't need other than maybe one. So I have the current medical kit in front of me. I have 2 prescriptions bottles almost full of Tramadol. A few pills of Oxycodone, Propoxyphen, and because I can't take anything without something for nausea or it won't stay in, i have a bottle of Promethazine. I have a bottle of tylenol, Naproxen and Ibuprofen, Peptobismal caplets, pseudoephedrine (nasal decongestant), A&D cream (great for wind burn), hand sanitizer, 10mg promethazine hydrochloride (says SLEEP on one side MD on the other) is an antihistamine, sunscreen and Polysporin. That is what is currently in my large ziploc medicine bag. When Robin injured himself at Snowbird last time the doctor told me what to give him at what times out of my bag to lower inflammation and relieve pain. I hope to never need any of the things I bring but there's so many places away from town to ski or when i'm going to another country where they don't speak English and i can't trust the pharmacy regulations I'd rather have this stuff along not just for skiing I take this on cruises too.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Hmm on every trip I take i have my little medical kit. It has All the leftover prescription pain pills from the prior couple years. Often for dental work or injuries that they believe I'll need something and just don't need other than maybe one. So I have the current medical kit in front of me. I have 2 prescriptions bottles almost full of Tramadol. A few pills of Oxycodone, Propoxyphen, and because I can't take anything without something for nausea or it won't stay in, i have a bottle of Promethazine. I have a bottle of tylenol, Naproxen and Ibuprofen, Peptobismal caplets, pseudoephedrine (nasal decongestant), A&D cream (great for wind burn), hand sanitizer, 10mg promethazine hydrochloride (says SLEEP on one side MD on the other) is an antihistamine, sunscreen and Polysporin. That is what is currently in my large ziploc medicine bag. When Robin injured himself at Snowbird last time the doctor told me what to give him at what times out of my bag to lower inflammation and relieve pain. I hope to never need any of the things I bring but there's so many places away from town to ski or when i'm going to another country where they don't speak English and i can't trust the pharmacy regulations I'd rather have this stuff along not just for skiing I take this on cruises too.

I remembered that Snowbird event ! Next day he joined the easy skiers like my Trish and other gimps (Gumps ?) :)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunscreen
Vaseline lip therapy (chafing)
Earplugs
Mountain money (tp)
Medical tape
Sterile pads and band-aids
Kerlix and ace bandage
Blister stuff
CPR mask
OPAs, NPAs
Nitrile gloves
Alcohol and iodine wipes
Butterfly closures
SAM splint
Shears
Syringe/saline flush
Q-tips
Glue
Benzoin
Benadryl
Ibuprofen
Aspirin
Hydrocodone
Oxycodone

You hurt? I got your back. :) But I'm an EMT, so I'm pretty current on most of that stuff - things like NPAs and OPAs aren't really for your average Joe/Jane.

That stuff is in a couple-three bags that I mix-and-match/choose for different levels of perceived need. I usually carry stuff for ABC (airway, breathing, circulation) and some aspirin, and step it up from there depending.

But one thing that's important is CPR. Be ready for that, and if you haven't taken it recently (or ever) there have been recent changes that are important.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A dozen triangular bandages, some 8"x8" sterile dressings (gauze), scissors, safety pins, small shape-able splint, tongue depressors, surgical tape, gloves, barrier mask, sandwich bags for ice packs, pad and pencil for notes.

On the subject of pain meds, Had I been at my house the last time I hurt myself I would have helped myself to some left-over Oxies, but as I was not and nothing got prescribed for me I had to rely on Scotch (not covered by my health plan :nono:). So question is, what exactly is the problem with taking "expired" Oxycodone? How long do they really remain effective, and what harm can they do.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In bounds, just a cell phone and the management office number to contact ski patrol. Also, a whistle if it is deep and trees might be involved. Elsewhere else, same as I would take on foot with a back pack.

Jasmine

My mom says I'm a level 7
Skier
My first aid kit is on the heavy side also, as many of you have:

Glacier Gel - for blisters or burns
neosporin
band aids
4x4 gauze
roller gauze
CAT tourniquet
steri strips
sunscreen
chapstick
medical tape
emergency blanket
ammonia inhalents
alcohol swabs
hand wipes
hand warmers
moleskin
gloves
quick clot
SAM splint
OPAs, NPAs
kerlix
triangular bandages
tongue depressers
zip loc bags
ibuprofen
baby aspirin
immodium (don't want to be without it if you need it)
benadryl
zofran
blood pressure cuff
stethoscope
pulse oximiter
zip ties
knife
trauma shears
CPR mask
ammonia inhalent
epi pen

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When I was cleaning out the apartment after my mother moved to assisted living halfway across the country I found a box with 2 epi pens in it. I put one in my bug out bag/back pack that goes pretty much everywhere and the other one in the medicine cabinet at home. No one in my immediate family has ever shown the need for one but why not keep one handy in case a guest or kid on a scout hiking trip suddenly needs one and didn't bring one themselves?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've carried epi-pens, but they kept expiring so I just pack some Benedryl and hope no one's got bad allergies.

On the subject of pain meds, Had I been at my house the last time I hurt myself I would have helped myself to some left-over Oxies, but as I was not and nothing got prescribed for me I had to rely on Scotch (not covered by my health plan :nono:). So question is, what exactly is the problem with taking "expired" Oxycodone? How long do they really remain effective, and what harm can they do.
I'm not a doctor, so caveat my BS and all that - you should consult a physician, rather than strangers on the interwebz. That said, for my own personal use I don't really worry about expiration dates on opiates for a year afterward - then I make a mental note to take them in when the next old prescription collection day comes up at the pharmacy/fire department. I don't know how long they remain effective. I wouldn't want to use them for someone else after the expiration date. Harm? The usual - respiratory side-effects, constipation, drop in blood pressure. Addiction, drowsiness, allergic reaction, etc.

A cursory Google search pretty much says the same thing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've carried epi-pens, but they kept expiring so I just pack some Benedryl and hope no one's got bad allergies.

Well if you're a healthcare professional you can get in trouble for carrying expired supplies. However, with the epi pen, they are supposed to still be safe long after the expiration dates in most cases..

Takes up little room, I just would rather have one for real emergencies if a kid has no other fast option, bee sting, peanut/shellfish reaction, etc..

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The whole thing about drug expiration dates is interesting, but I don't want to drift the thread that much.

Jasmine

My mom says I'm a level 7
Skier
An expired epi-pen is supposed to still be effective once expired so long as the fluid is clear. Hold the epi-pen up to a light and look through the little window on the pen to check if clear. I carry my own prescription epi-pen to use for myself when I am patrolling. I can only help administer someone's if it is their own prescription when on duty. When I'm off duty, however, I'd use mine on one of my friends if it would help in a severe allergy reaction.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
The thing that gets me is that the really good clotting powder has a very short shelf life and ain't cheap.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting reading here. I started to built a good traveling kit since I go to/from steamboat over the pass down to summit frequently. I picked up a good sleeping bag, shovel, jumpstart tool, extra layers I have to put a decent medical kit together.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought of one other thing - not specifically first aid, but part of the system: a personal locater/alert beacon. I use the Spot, which has been called "yuppie 911" by some rescue organizations. But hey, if it rolls the rescue in, that would be just the thing if I'm bogged down hurt or helping someone that's hurt when I don't have cell reception.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A dozen triangular bandages, some 8"x8" sterile dressings (gauze), scissors, safety pins, small shape-able splint, tongue depressors, surgical tape, gloves, barrier mask, sandwich bags for ice packs, pad and pencil for notes.

Well, just speaking for myself, I have a lot of expired painkillers from previous surgeries where I used only one or two. I do use them on occasion, and for me they work like a less-effective (but still effective) version of the OG.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The reality (as explained by a military dr on a flight last week) is that meds are just fine for several years after the experiration date, now that's according to what he told me. The pharma's have to ensure the meds are at 100% potency so they just give them a one year date (ever see a med with a different expiration time frame?). So even if they Degrade 2% (as an example) per year they can't say that.

TS
DeAnn Sloan

DeAnn Sloan

ACLs are overrated.
Skier
Apparently there was a form of tetracycline (antibiotic) that, when degraded, was associated with renal tubular damage. But that form of the drug is no longer marketed in the US.

I will continue to carry my left over surgery/labor drugs in my ski kit.... Rather have them than not!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January