• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I race sailboats all summer . And try and go biking. Road and mountain.

@surfsnowgirl , you will have a lot of fun. More than just being on the water, sail boat racing is a lot of fun . It can be pretty exciting even when you're going slow. Once you get on a bit , the chess game part is quite satisfying

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I race sailboats all summer . And try and go biking. Road and mountain.

@surfsnowgirl , you will have a lot of fun. More than just being on the water, sail boat racing is a lot of fun . It can be pretty exciting even when you're going slow. Once you get on a bit , the chess game part is quite satisfying

Thanks. I'm pretty excited. Turns out my guy has time off on a couple of the wednesdays so he can join us. I've 4 days scheduled from May 30th until August 15th. Jenn said I can come as often as I like. I've grilled her on what to wear, what kind of shoes, pants, etc and she's given me some good information. I dont want to be cold, hot, etc. I imagine it's like skiing, getting the layering and what to wear down to a science takes time. Now I just have to remember what I did with my waterproof watch..................

We're going through a bit of a dreary weather period. We are about a month behind the time of april showers bring may flowers. We're on the May rain plan this year. Hopefully it settles down before my first time out. Worst case I have a gortex rain coat so I'm ready :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@surfsnowgirl , if you want to hit the deck running, you may want to look at some beginning sailing books and/or videos. Learn the ropes, so to speak. :ogcool:

Sailing terminology can be overwhelming so understanding the basics of sailing will make a huge difference in your experience.

Edit: Bring the rain pants, too. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hike, drink, camp, drink, hike-to-ski, drink, sit on patios, drink, listen to live music, drink, count down the days till the lifts start turning, drink
This is why we're friends.
My primary activities include working on Pugski stuff on line, drinking margaritas and eating chips with guac

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl , if you want to hit the deck running, you may want to look at some beginning sailing books and/or videos. Learn the ropes, so to speak. :ogcool:

Sailing terminology can be overwhelming so understanding the basics of sailing will make a huge difference in your experience.

Thanks. I think I've been on a boat twice in my life so Jenn knows I'm about as green as they come and the captain knows as well. I am willing to learn. I would love to have a good time my first time so that I'm encouraged to try it again.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. I think I've been on a boat twice in my life so Jenn knows I'm about as green as they come and the captain knows as well. I am willing to learn. I would love to have a good time my first time so that I'm encouraged to try it again.

You are going to love it!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Congrats! Building an indoor or outdoor climbing wall? We built one for the kiddos a few years back and it was surprisingly easy! Holds are expensive, though.
It's an outdoor..it will eventually attach to the play structure I'm building next but for now it will be bolted to the garage. We got some good prices on holds out of Montana. not as big as I'd hoped but not bad. He's a little monkey.. :D

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This is why we're friends.
My primary activities include working on Pugski stuff on line, drinking margaritas and eating chips with guac

Ok so it's not wrong that one of my favorite summer activities is tackling my reading pile whilst reclining on my chaise or hammock in the backyard while sipping a margarita or some otherwise awesome summer beverage. Ideally a nice breeze and of course my blue tooth speaker playing some awesome tunes. I consider all of this a solid summer activity all by itself.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok so it's not wrong that one of my favorite summer activities is tackling my reading pile whilst reclining on my chaise or hammock in the backyard while sipping a margarita or some otherwise awesome summer beverage. Ideally a nice breeze and of course my blue tooth speaker playing some awesome tunes. I consider all of this a solid summer activity all by itself.
Its not wrong, but its also why I'm 20 lbs heavier than I would like to be. ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Congrats! Building an indoor or outdoor climbing wall? We built one for the kiddos a few years back and it was surprisingly easy! Holds are expensive, though.

yfrx1x0.jpg
You're awesome!
This is why your kids are so awesome.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Its not wrong, but its also why I'm 20 lbs heavier than I would like to be. ;)

Ha me too. I've been 20 lbs over what I used to be for about 8 years now. I never go above this so I'm good at maintaining apparently. I'd just like to maintain at a slightly lower number. I only drink margaritas once in a blue moon actually. My beverage of choice actually is vodka/soda or tequila and soda. I love beer but curtail it to weekends. I''m actually down 3lbs so switching up my diet seems to be working ;). As the saying goes Life is short eat cake.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sort of like skiing, if you don't know what you're doing sailing is tough. Since my parents didn't ski or sail I've had to learn the hard way.

We take a sunfish on the ocean in Maine a couple times a year. I'm getting better but I usually have one or two boats ask me if I'm ok. Neither the ferry's waves nor the currents have taken me out yet but it can be frustrating just trying to get back to the island. My wife's grandparents had a place on a salt pond so she can zip around no problem.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sort of like skiing, if you don't know what you're doing sailing is tough. Since my parents didn't ski or sail I've had to learn the hard way.

We take a sunfish on the ocean in Maine a couple times a year. I'm getting better but I usually have one or two boats ask me if I'm ok. Neither the ferry's waves nor the currents have taken me out yet but it can be frustrating just trying to get back to the island. My wife's grandparents had a place on a salt pond so she can zip around no problem.

I get it. My friend Jenn will be the main person. She's been sailing for years and years. I'm sure she'll start me/us off slow. I doubt I'll be given a very important job from the get go. I'm sure she'll break me in slow. Yeah my family didn't ski or sail either. Noone in my family was athletic, The only reason I started snowboarding years ago was because someone I was dating was a boarder. I learned the hard way with skiing that's for sure. I'm hoping my learning to sail will be less painful.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I get it. My friend Jenn will be the main person. She's been sailing for years and years. I'm sure she'll start me/us off slow. I doubt I'll be given a very important job from the get go. I'm sure she'll break me in slow. Yeah my family didn't ski or sail either. Noone in my family was athletic, The only reason I started snowboarding years ago was because someone I was dating was a boarder. I learned the hard way with skiing that's for sure. I'm hoping my learning to sail will be less painful.
If she's got a big enough crew you might just start out as rail meat..

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Our work is year round so we will be in front of the computer a good amount byt actually will try to limit it to about 4-6 hours a day unlike last year where we rarely got away from it. We need to get on the bikes more and even some over night get aways in the Miata. I would like to get to the (driving) range more than I did last year which shouldn't be hard because I never made it there.

No patch skiing?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am retiring at the beginning of June so life is about to get a bit exciting. Since Gavin has another year of university, we have a gap year in our parenting and are putting the house on the short term rental market and moving into our 1200 square foot cabin in Big Bear. That is not our permanent landing spot, but it will be home for the next year while we travel and decide where the permanent landing spot will be. So I guess my summer activity will be resettling into a new "home," making new friends, road tripping in the RV, and of course my favorite summer pastime - reading. I confess that there will likely be some drinking mixed in also. I'm looking forward to some time at B's - which used to be a bar/dog beach on the lake. Now it's a bar/dog beach without much lake. We need snow and rain in So Cal.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Just bought a new trailer this summer, so putting KMs on it in the local area with a long trip to visit family in Ontario and then over to OOB in Maine on the way home.
Soccer season started last week. Bit of fishing, Bit of gardening. Hopefully work my way through a survey of local craft beers.

Sponsor