• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it can be slow at times and I was thinking about the boats getting close to each other. I'm a little afraid too because I'm terrified of deep water but I'm with Jenn who's sailed around the world and knows what she's doing. Plus I'm assuming I'll have a life jacket on. This is an attempt to overcome my fears. We'll be in the Long Island Sound, not the open ocean so I anticipate things being pretty calm. I wonder if I should take a dramamine just to be safe. I've been on cruiser boats before and been fine but I don't want to take any chances.

A friend who does a lot of sailing once told me that if you want to experience sailing without actually doing it, then "Stand in a cold shower and tear up $100 dollar bills".

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
A friend who does a lot of sailing once told me that if you want to experience sailing without actually doing it, then "Stand in a cold shower and tear up $100 dollar bills".

I love that. HILARIOUS and I'm sure quite a true analogy. I'm fortunate as my friend has a boat and belongs to this club. She told me it doesn't cost anything to me. She checked with the captain and he's fine with my participating. Perhaps her membership allows guests. No idea. Either way I'm excited because I've never sailed and I'm excited to learn something new.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dramamine can make people drowsy, I think. And yeah, you're supposed to wear life jackets, but we always took them off after the start. Think we had to put them on for the finish, too, but I don't honestly remember. We did wear them a few times when it was really, really blowing - there were actually a couple of times we went out when it was probably not smart to do so. There was one time it was only three of us, and I was the one in charge of the sail. Only problem was that I wasn't strong enough to pull it in, so one of the guys had to do it, which was a little hairy at times.

And we were on an inland lake most of the time, although sometimes on the big lake (Lake Michigan). I didn't do the cross lake races though, because I can't go below long enough to pee without getting queasy seasick!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually, lots of swimming, cycling (road and mountain), hiking, camping and running. I spent half of every week in Tahoe for four months during ski season, so I had some sadness when I turned in the keys to our seasonal rental. But summer activities are fun too. It is very hot in summer where I live, so I end up going to my boyfriend's house near the coast often (haven't been there since November). We like to ride there, where it's cooler and hilly. This summer will be a little different because he's moving, I need foot surgery, and he has a separated shoulder from being hit by a car while on his bike.
Some things I'd like to do more of in the summer: Stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, sailing. We had a small sailboat when I was in high school, but I never got very good. Paddle boarding I've only done once, but it was a blast. I like being on the water. I would also like to get back into rock climbing and inline skating. Clearly I don't have enough time for everything. Sigh.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Mandatory PFDs on a racing boat are club specific. Dillon Yacht Club doesn't require you wear them. Of course they have to be on board. I always wear an inflatable PFD when I race as I usually end up on the bow. I also wear dry pants and/or top depending on the weather. An inflatable PFD and foulies (rain gear) are worth asking about in advance as some boats supply them, some don't. @surfsnowgirl , do you know what kind of boat you'll be on?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Road bike, mountain bike, camping, running, travel. This summer I have trips to Sisters Oregon, San Francisco, and London (twice). I always mean to do more hiking but just don't get around to it.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Summer for me means surfing. The ocean is 30 minutes away (Huntington Beach).
Camping trips also mean fly fishing. But I only get a couple of those trips per year.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Mandatory PFDs on a racing boat are club specific. Dillon Yacht Club doesn't require you wear them. Of course they have to be on board. I always wear an inflatable PFD when I race as I usually end up on the bow. I also wear dry pants and/or top depending on the weather. An inflatable PFD and foulies (rain gear) are worth asking about in advance as some boats supply them, some don't. @surfsnowgirl , do you know what kind of boat you'll be on?

I'll ask my friend what kind of boat.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am retired and I do some volunteer work with the Victoria Blues Society, usually working the door or the merchandise table at one of our dances. I also travel in my truck camper to a few blues festivals.

Along with my dog Tia, we volunteer with the Pacific Animal Therapy Society (P.A.T.S.) We visit a day care centre for delayed development young adults, group visits to several retirement homes and a one-on-one visit with a Parkinson's patient. Tia loves it.

I live about a block from Victoria's Inner Harbour and I have an inflatable kayak. Also a block from the start of a 3km sea wall for walking Tia.

I have a pair of roller skates from 40 years ago when I was a partner in a small roller rink and outdoor rentals business. I keep saying I am going to go roller skating again.....maybe this summer.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hike, drink, camp, drink, hike-to-ski, drink, sit on patios, drink, listen to live music, drink, count down the days till the lifts start turning, drink

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Physio is going well. I'll be going canoe camping this summer. My rule for PFDs is I wear them in class III or higher rapids (to keep me higher up in the water and off the rocks should I end up body surfing, and so they can find the body easier), or if I'm farther from shore than I can swim. Note: if you used to swim a couple of miles out to "the island" when you were young, but haven't swam three pool lengths in a row for decades, you might want to re-assess how far you can swim.

Anecdote: A friend and I swam across a small (about a mile across) lake once on a canoe trip, and I played a cruel joke on him. As we got closer to the shore I told him I didn't think I could make it. Very close to the shore I told him, "I can't make it. I'm going back." The joke was on me! Without my glasses on, I mistook a rock/tree/something for our canoe left at the starting point on the opposite side of the lake from our camp. I ended up pretty much swimming around the lake instead of across it. I was exhausted when I got back to camp with the canoe.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We actually have a new boy arriving in July. So that's going to blow up most of the summer! :) But I'll try to get in the usual..road bike, mountain bike, kayak, fishing, little golf maybe if I can find a few hours in a row, cottage, family time. Boy #1 is at tee ball, swimming, bicycle and soccer stage so I'll be working on that as well. I also have to build a climbing wall, exterior house painting, brake job on the Outback and of course, drinking weissbiere on the new lounger furniture on the patio! :beercheer:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mountain biking, golf, camping, hiking, kayaking...really anything that keeps me active and outside. Then there’s beach lounging, patio lounging, BBQing and catching up with friends I’ve neglected all winter.

A few trips booked this summer; a wedding in Park City next month which I plan on getting some biking in. Chilean ski trip planned for August. And another wedding in Crested Butte for September, in which I'm planning on going early and signing up for the Dirt Series clinic in Fruita.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
'
I asked my friend and she said the boat is a J-37c. I know nothing about boats hopefully that means something to you.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
We actually have a new boy arriving in July. So that's going to blow up most of the summer! :) But I'll try to get in the usual..road bike, mountain bike, kayak, fishing, little golf maybe if I can find a few hours in a row, cottage, family time. Boy #1 is at tee ball, swimming, bicycle and soccer stage so I'll be working on that as well. I also have to build a climbing wall, exterior house painting, brake job on the Outback and of course, drinking weissbiere on the new lounger furniture on the patio! :beercheer:

Congrats! Building an indoor or outdoor climbing wall? We built one for the kiddos a few years back and it was surprisingly easy! Holds are expensive, though.

yfrx1x0.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
'
I asked my friend and she said the boat is a J-37c. I know nothing about boats hopefully that means something to you.

It is a beautiful big racing inspired boat. I've only raced on J-24s (same brand, smaller, great racer) and Ensigns (classic old design). I'm a little envious. :)

http://www.jboats.com/36-j37c/j37c

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid