• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I get very into skiing in case some of you couldn't tell ;). I go through a bit of withdrawal when I'm done for the season and usually spend a weekend moping a around wondering what the hell I did with myself before I skied. I eventually snap out of it and faster forward to fall and football and pre-ski season hype and I'm wondering what happened to summer. Skiing is all consuming from November-May so I like to do lots of other things that we don't have time for during ski season.

My favorite things to do are go to the weekly farmers markets because I get very into grilling in the spring/summer/fall and buy all our vegetables here. We also go wine tasting next door and I stock up on wine as I don't have time to buy it in the winter. You have to go to a package store here and I usually don't have time to do this in winter so buy up from May-October. We also camp, go for drives, watch as much live music as we can, pick strawberries, blueberries and hit a fair share of breweries. We also head up to Vermont a few times and either stay at our friends house or one of our other favorite places. Probably go downhill mountain bike a couple of times, rent a kayak. My backyard reading pile is pretty stacked by May and I spend the summer whenever I have a chance reading in the backyard with a cold one.

So far my reverse SAD hasn't set in yet and I'm wondering if that's because we skied until May 6th, not sure. Regardless, I'm not depressed yet

Looking forward to seeing Def Leppard/Journey in June, spending 10 days in the Scottish highlands in July and seeing Boy George with Tom Baily (Thompson Twins) in August. Going to try to squeeze in Elton John sometime between September-November.

We also are planning a trip up to Magog in the eastern townships of Quebec to do some hiking, drinking and pick up my Dynastar SL cheaters that are waiting for me.

We also make a couple trips to Newport, Rhode Island for some beach time. We have beaches here but we're socked in by the Long Island sound so coming from California these beaches don't count. Newport is my playground.

Lastly, my friend Jenn is part of a sailing club and they sail every wednesday and then have a nice dinner. She's invited me to go with her. I'm excited to learn how to sail.

I'm not much of a lounger and I like to keep busy.

What winds your watch during the summer time.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
  • Lots of mountain biking
  • Hiking with the dogs
  • Escaping the front range to the cooler temps of the mountains
  • Growing veggies, especially tomatoes and tomatillos
  • Intend to go to farmer's market (but rarely get there)

This year, I'm going to Chicago for a wedding. Happy for the couple; not particularly looking forward to flying and a huge event, though.

It also looks like there may be a weekend trip to a national park with a *koff* friend. TBD. I've actually never done a road trip like that (only to visit family).

My parents will be in town for a good chunk of time immediately on the heels of the wedding (flying back with me) - I'm trying not to get too anxious about that. It rarely goes well when we're together for more than 5 days (sometimes even that's too much), but my mom always forgets that and wants to spend more time together. So I'm working on a punch list of house things (window treatments, that sort of thing) that I can do with my mom, and I've scheduled a couple of medical procedures to take advantage of having family in town to drive me :)

And I'm hoping to make it to Park City for the Dirt Series mountain bike clinic and to see the parts of my family around whom I can be myself.

A big goal for the next few months, not really particular to summer, is to make the house more "mine" and less "ours." Do a lot of things that I wanted, but he didn't <want to spend money on>. There's the new custom dining room to replace the hand me down from 20 years ago. A retractable awning to make the deck usable in the summer. We'll see what else. And decluttering/donating/selling. Plenty to do on rainy days.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I cycle almost weekly throughout the year. In the ski off season I just bike a lot more. Both road and off road. Gonna add some alpine hiking this year. Overnights as well. Gotta start sorting out my camping gear.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Everyone I have spoken to thinks I'm crazy for growint tommatilos, but now I know I'm not the only one. I love carne con chile.

Bike, hike, fish, garden, beach, camp. Kids' soccer ends in June but travel baseball goes through July.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our work is year round so we will be in front of the computer a good amount byt actually will try to limit it to about 4-6 hours a day unlike last year where we rarely got away from it. We need to get on the bikes more and even some over night get aways in the Miata. I would like to get to the (driving) range more than I did last year which shouldn't be hard because I never made it there.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Biking
20180516_103807_Tiger Road.jpg

Yesterday at Keystone Ranch

Sailing
20161012_081913.jpg

Frisco Bay Marina on a foggy morning last summer,

and of course...

Skiing!
20170716_064833.jpg

Early one morning at Summer Fun Nationals, Mt. Hood last summer

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Everyone I have spoken to thinks I'm crazy for growint tommatilos, but now I know I'm not the only one. I love carne con chile.

Pork green chili. OMG. I make a ton and then freeze it for quick meals during the cold months.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've made arrangements with my friend to go sailing with her and her club. She sails every wednesday evening from end of May until the end of August. Every wednesday night is a race, Jenn will teach me everything I need to know and it won't cost me a thing. I've only scheduled 3 times to make sure I like it. I can go every wednesday if I wanted but I want to see if I like it first. Sail for 2.5 hours and then sit down for a nice meal; sounds good to me. \

I'd like to try disc golf too, seems fun.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've made arrangements with my friend to go sailing with her and her club. She sails every wednesday evening from end of May until the end of August. Every wednesday night is a race, Jenn will teach me everything I need to know and it won't cost me a thing. I've only scheduled 3 times to make sure I like it. I can go every wednesday if I wanted but I want to see if I like it first. Sail for 2.5 hours and then sit down for a nice meal; sounds good to me. \

Oh ya, that too!

20161027_104717.jpg

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier

We used to race on a friend's sailboat every Wednesday. So much fun, and so relaxing to know we'd be on the water. You will be amazed at how slow a race can be sometimes! You will also be amazed at how close boats come to each other in the frenzy.

I'm envious.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We used to race on a friend's sailboat every Wednesday. So much fun, and so relaxing to know we'd be on the water. You will be amazed at how slow a race can be sometimes! You will also be amazed at how close boats come to each other in the frenzy.

I'm envious.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it can be slow at times and I was thinking about the boats getting close to each other. I'm a little afraid too because I'm terrified of deep water but I'm with Jenn who's sailed around the world and knows what she's doing. Plus I'm assuming I'll have a life jacket on. This is an attempt to overcome my fears. We'll be in the Long Island Sound, not the open ocean so I anticipate things being pretty calm. I wonder if I should take a dramamine just to be safe. I've been on cruiser boats before and been fine but I don't want to take any chances.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January