• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was able to remove a big item from my honey do list and the Mrs. is very happy with her new plant stands. We have a 12 X 10 concrete slab just off our sunroom and my wife wanted to have a few plant stands for her large flower pots. So I put together some patio blocks and set an alternating design and this is what I ended up with.

upload_2018-6-26_23-9-30.png

upload_2018-6-26_23-11-1.png

The hardscape was easy the only difficult part was leveling the ground and than leveling the ground up rock bedding for the patio block to set in level.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Going sailing again tonight, we'll see what the weather decides to do. There hasn't been much wind the past couple wendesday nights according to my friend so she's hoping Michael and I bring some good luck and make some wind show up.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Really fun night sailing last night. The wind came. This was only my second time sailing and probably only my 4th time on a boat. I'm terrified of deep water so this is something fun for me to do but also an exercise of confronting my fear. I had the same jobs this week, writing down the course, helping balance the boat whenever I hear the word tack and my favorite what they call butt boom. Getting more used to the side to side motion when the boat turns but it still scares me. Standing up against the sail using my weight to hold it out is terrifying to me as I have to lean back into it so it's a major exercise of trust with the sail and who's navigating the rope pulling and pushing the sail. It was another night of boats coming close to each other but I'm getting used to that too. Not a beautiful sunset kind of night but the rain held off until afterwards so that was good. Beer and dinner never tasted so good after this. I wasn't sure what to expect from this crowd and the yacht club given it's in Westport and all but the people are actually cool, there's no dress code and it's pretty darn casual so I was pleasantly surprised. Here's a few pictures, of the boat, my friend Jenn who usually "drives" and then when we were out on the water. Tom, the captain invited us all on the boat on July 2nd as that's when Wesport/Norwalk are doing their fireworks. I've never seen fire works from a boat before so I'm looking forward to it. This summer is turning out a ok so far after all.

20180627_200610.jpg
20180627_200631.jpg
20180627_200641.jpg
20180627_195650.jpg
20180627_195646.jpg
20180627_195642.jpg
20180627_174315.jpg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just got back from a week in Yellowstone with the family. 2700 miles altogether! We camped out of Canyon and spent each day exploring different areas. It was an amazingly awesome family adventure. The only downside was that it further cemented our desire to live in the mountains.
20180628_193018.jpg

20180628_182701.jpg

20180626_211914.jpg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not much of a hiker despite living in Colorado but Monday I got the urge to hike Mt Sanitas in Boulder. Of course I chose the steep rocky trail that gains 1300 feet in 1.3 miles. I got to the top and turned around went down the steep trail again. It was hard but tons of fun. However, I can barely move today. Down stairs or hills is nearly impossible. I did manage to get a bike ride today so hopefully that will help flush things out.

52245208-5F03-4752-95AA-4FBC7E08B8F8.jpeg
88F3BBD6-CF1B-41CD-A38D-3D82F8A2569C.jpeg
38FB1DB5-D538-4C23-87E9-1FE42ED2838C.jpeg
648A3C1F-7EE4-4269-A4FE-B40F4564F3F9.jpeg
2CD8828E-0948-4BEF-94CD-8A6372B57EFA.jpeg
A57A07CF-59D3-4016-8B52-5F4AA861D9BF.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I had a BBQ this past Sunday. A few people had suggested a party to celebrate an awning, and hey, any excuse for a party, right? I also timed it for my parents' visit - they always like to meet my friends, and it also takes some of the pressure off of me to "entertain" - not that they ask for that.

I guess the really big new thing this summer is, *koff*, my new boyfriend. Who is an old friend and ex-co-worker, so I've known him for over a decade. The awning party guests were carefully chosen to be people who I thought would be okay with this. He's not really that new anymore, but I feel anxious about judgment from people who think it's just "too soon." Which, frankly, would include me if I saw someone getting into a relationship less than three months after their spouse died. But I guess that's why the say, "Humans make plans, and the gods laugh." Anyway, he catered the whole deal. Big BBQs are sort of his hobby, meaning that he had not just a ton of food, but electric chafing dishes, benches, a pop-up canopy for the yard, his own tables, a standalone setup for boiling brats so that the grill was used for burgers and such ... it was impressive.

My life is so different now than it was last year. It's astounding.

To answer the inevitable question: No, he does not ski, and he's not interested in learning to ski. He says he's fine doing other things during the day, and having cooked a nice meal by the time I get back. Some weekends, anyway. We'll see. If we get that far, ski season will be an interesting test.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had a BBQ this past Sunday. A few people had suggested a party to celebrate an awning, and hey, any excuse for a party, right? I also timed it for my parents' visit - they always like to meet my friends, and it also takes some of the pressure off of me to "entertain" - not that they ask for that.

I guess the really big new thing this summer is, *koff*, my new boyfriend. Who is an old friend and ex-co-worker, so I've known him for over a decade. The awning party guests were carefully chosen to be people who I thought would be okay with this. He's not really that new anymore, but I feel anxious about judgment from people who think it's just "too soon." Which, frankly, would include me if I saw someone getting into a relationship less than three months after their spouse died. But I guess that's why the say, "Humans make plans, and the gods laugh." Anyway, he catered the whole deal. Big BBQs are sort of his hobby, meaning that he had not just a ton of food, but electric chafing dishes, benches, a pop-up canopy for the yard, his own tables, a standalone setup for boiling brats so that the grill was used for burgers and such ... it was impressive.

To answer the inevitable question: No, he does not ski, and he's not interested in learning to ski. He says he's fine doing other things during the day, and having cooked a nice meal by the time I get back. Some weekends, anyway. We'll see. If we get that far, ski season will be an interesting test.
Not Too Soon, life is short and because it is new it does not diminish any thing you had before. Good Luck

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My friend Kim passed away at 41 leaving a husband behind missing her a lot. John soon afterwards began hanging with Nita, one is Kim's best friends and part of our group. We've all known each other since high school. No one cared, Life is short and Nita had known John and kim for over 20 years. Everyone deserves to live life and be happy. I know kim would want John to be happy and we all felt that way. That was 5 years ago John and Nita are getting married next month.

Glad you had a good BBQ Monique and your new boyfriend sounds awesome.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The great outdoors was humid and hot today. It reached 114 at our place :eek:

20180706_201458.jpg
We went to the Freeway series
at Angel Stadium this evening and left after the 6th.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
In vermont for the weekend and the weather should be gorgeous. Looking forward to disc golf, hiking around bromley, maybe some mini golf, live music at bromley and magic also. Fireworks at magic tonight so that'll be fun. High of 75 today. It got down to 46 last night ahhh.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finally the heat broke, 41 this morning at my house Southern Adirondacks.. AHHH So much better for showing and selling Lake houses- 2 sold yesterday. Feel sad for the Colorado and S California people fighting fires.. Stay safe.. hydrate and find shade... Counting down til snowmaking starts

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I’m sorry I missed it.

In other news, I was able to down stairs normally today. :roflmao::golfclap:

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Working on convincing my SO to buy a condo/house in southern Vermont since we are there so freakin much. I love the area around Route 11 in Londonderry because that gives us access to Bromley, Magic, Stratton, Snow and then Okemo and Killington to the north. We just spent the weekend in Londonderry and their local 4th of July fireworks were July 7th at Magic mountain. We have friends with a trailside condo and we had a literal front row seat to the fireworks, BBQ'd and then walked down to the BLT to listen to the band and have a cocktail. You can literally ski out of your patio down to the lifts or when we're going to other mountains it's just a short drive away. We are just here an awful lot and I'm getting tired of booking motels all the time. Granted 80% of the time when we're skiing/working bromley we're staying at our friends house in Andover but it would be nice to have a centrally located place where we can keep our stuff and not have to haul so much every weekend.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not much of a hiker despite living in Colorado but Monday I got the urge to hike Mt Sanitas in Boulder. Of course I chose the steep rocky trail that gains 1300 feet in 1.3 miles. I got to the top and turned around went down the steep trail again. It was hard but tons of fun. However, I can barely move today. Down stairs or hills is nearly impossible. I did manage to get a bike ride today so hopefully that will help flush things out.

View attachment 48773 View attachment 48774 View attachment 48775 View attachment 48776 View attachment 48777 View attachment 48778

Oh man, that was my morning hike when I went to school there! Thanks for sharing the pics! I rented a small house 2 blocks away from the trailhead, so I was lucky to have that trail so close by. *Memories.*

Sponsor

Staff online