• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
FUN! Put back pressure on your pedals as if you could backpedal. You’ll slow down. You’ll never be able to stop quickly as if on a freewheel bike, but you can learn to judge your stopping distances to be just fine on the roads. I found that I could modulate my speed better in traffic on a fixie than with a freewheel bike with brakes.

If you learn to do a track stand, you will be super cool. :ogcool:

I used to ride a fixie all winter long here in rural PA, up and down big hills. I gave mine to my nephew who now commutes to work on it in Seoul, South Korea. ogsmile

I’m sort of jealous of your ride. Fixies are great (I raced them for years on a velodrome).

AWESOME that you actually raced! YOU'RE the badass!....I switched to fixed a couple years ago but left both my handbrakes on. I had a couple friends who convinced me to do it and I'd always been curious. I do like the sensation of feeling connected to the road..However, 2 years later I'm still relying on my hand brakes. I started off trying not to use the breaks and just using my legs to control my speed, but this made my commute to work REALLY slow and I'm already always running late. I would start slowing down for a stop light maybe, halfway down the block. hahah. My friend tried to teach me to do back wheelies to stop, but we were on the streets of the city with traffic going by....Not very conducive to learning and pretty scary......

So...this summer, I think I'll make a real effort to learn how to stop properly (with the back wheelie and maybe even those fishtail skids). Track stands look way easier than they are. Never seriously tried. I think they are actually much easier to mimic on freewheel bikes.

This week, I started practicing using just my legs to control speed on the ride home, since i'm in no rush. I'm no where near the stage where I'll feel comfortable with just a front brake. Are you around Philly? I've always wanted to take my bike down there for a Philly city tour. If I do, we should ride together and you can show me how it's done!

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Our first win of the season....
my spring finish.jpg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
AWESOME that you actually raced! YOU'RE the badass!....I switched to fixed a couple years ago but left both my handbrakes on. I had a couple friends who convinced me to do it and I'd always been curious. I do like the sensation of feeling connected to the road..However, 2 years later I'm still relying on my hand brakes. I started off trying not to use the breaks and just using my legs to control my speed, but this made my commute to work REALLY slow and I'm already always running late. I would start slowing down for a stop light maybe, halfway down the block. hahah. My friend tried to teach me to do back wheelies to stop, but we were on the streets of the city with traffic going by....Not very conducive to learning and pretty scary......

So...this summer, I think I'll make a real effort to learn how to stop properly (with the back wheelie and maybe even those fishtail skids). Track stands look way easier than they are. Never seriously tried. I think they are actually much easier to mimic on freewheel bikes.

This week, I started practicing using just my legs to control speed on the ride home, since i'm in no rush. I'm no where near the stage where I'll feel comfortable with just a front brake. Are you around Philly? I've always wanted to take my bike down there for a Philly city tour. If I do, we should ride together and you can show me how it's done!

I’m about an hour or so northwest of Philly, near the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, or whatever it’s called now. I no longer own a fixie. :-(

Philly is a cool place to bike....I used to race time trials down there...they close some of the roads on Sunday AM. There’s a huge cycling community down there.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Proud to say that I escaped the renfest with almost all my money still in hand. I bought an ear cuff. Fortunately the store was out of leather Wonder Woman bracers, or the damage would have been more severe.

As a teen, I definitely viewed the fest as a shopping expedition. I think I saw more shows yesterday than I ever did back then.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Oh, hah. No no no. I wore some random bits and pieces - high leather boots, a peasant blouse, some bracers, a belt with a leather pouch - all purchased. I still have the boots - not sure about the rest. I may have purged it all. I did have a suede bodice that's about 100 sizes too small for me now. A chain mail choker, too, just for fun.

That was at the Maryland renaissance festival, many years ago. I viewed the fest mostly as a shopping expedition, I think, albeit often just window shopping, plus watching the jousts. I think this time, it will be mostly watching the jousts :) And probably buying a turkey leg, thinking it looks delicious, and then realizing for the 400th time how annoying they are to eat. And no one else in the group is dressing up, anyway.

The Maryland Ren Fest still goes on every autumn. It's been quite a few years since I've gone. Never costumed up, sometimes got the turkey leg. "Hack and Slash" was always my favorite side show, though they haven't been together for quite some time.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Devils Postpile NM road opened 50 hours ago. Great hiking, sightseing and camping (all open) Unless
you are camping or go very early/late you park at The Mammoth Mountain main lodge (Skiing ends today :( )
and ride $8 shuttle busses.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Its not wrong, but its also why I'm 20 lbs heavier than I would like to be. ;)
Same here. I've taken off 5 since skiing ended and am working on the other 15lbs.

Too bad I had no success before ski season. Slowed me down a lot. (Part of problem: :beercheer:)
This would be better::margarita:.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Block Island.....actually, Noank CT to BI. Stay for a week on the boat.
Or sometimes just to Watch Hill, RI for a day or two.

We try to get out the Block once and a while on the boat. Did you ever catch the "Young Guns" at Capt' Nicks on Sunday night?
Great band, great party.
This pic was taken out by the Southeast Light on the Block.
Tiki on the Block.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
As Uncle Louie continues to recover from his broken neck, we've been thinking about
ways to get more active outside since skiing next season seems unlikely. ..
Sorry to hear that. Say it's not so ! . . (this could be in Gathermeister Down thread)
:poo: :(

Trish here is afraid to ski due to a lower back vertebra fracture 2 years ago. Not ski related at all.
So why did she tag skiing? She fell on a carpet in town before a Qi Gong class.
:(
(edit probably L3 also)

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Sorry to hear that. Say it's not so ! . . (this could be in Gathermeister Down thread)
:poo: :(

Trish here is afraid to ski due to a lower back vertebra fracture 2 years ago. Not ski related at all.
So why did she tag skiing? She fell on a carpet in town before a Qi Gong class.
:(

Sorry about the thread drift for the moment folks.

John, This is actually my 2nd back fracture. I fractured L3 (lower back) back in 88 when my truck was totaled by a semi. If at this point she feels fine there is probably no reason she can't get out. Chiropractic has done wonders for me for the last 30 years keeping me aligned as my vertebrae seem to always seek out a new parking spot. Might be worth considering. Sorry to hear about her injury, wish her well for me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Cube and I got out for a quick hike through the woods this morning at a local Nature Reserve. We only went about 3 miles do to time constraints, temps in the 90's with high humidity and dew points. We still had a good day.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Block Island.....actually, Noank CT to BI. Stay for a week on the boat.
Or sometimes just to Watch Hill, RI for a day or two.

Love both Block Island and Watch Hill. 2 of my favorite anchorages. Favorite watering hole on Block is at Payne's Dock, Mahogany Shoals. Walter singing and playing his Martin. Has a fun song based on a true story called "We Iced Him Down and Kept On Fishin'" Request it if you are ever there.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love both Block Island and Watch Hill. 2 of my favorite anchorages. Favorite watering hole on Block is at Payne's Dock, Mahogany Shoals. Walter singing and playing his Martin. Has a fun song based on a true story called "We Iced Him Down and Kept On Fishin'" Request it if you are ever there.

I will do that!

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We try to get out the Block once and a while on the boat. Did you ever catch the "Young Guns" at Capt' Nicks on Sunday night?
Great band, great party.
This pic was taken out by the Southeast Light on the Block.
View attachment 47985

Yes, I’ve been to that Sat night party at Capt Nick’s!
Nice “Tiki bar!”
BI has beautiful beaches....turns out, after doing some family tree research, that I had ancestors who lived there around when New Shoreham was founded.
My favorite thing, though, is sleeping on the boat and watching the stars through the hatch window.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Proud to say that I escaped the renfest with almost all my money still in hand. I bought an ear cuff. Fortunately the store was out of leather Wonder Woman bracers, or the damage would have been more severe.

As a teen, I definitely viewed the fest as a shopping expedition. I think I saw more shows yesterday than I ever did back then.

Glad you had a good time. I went to my first renn fair ever last summer and it was fun.