• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Top soil and overseeding the back lawn... That count?

Mowed the lawn, planted remaining veggies and herbs, cleaned up my mountain bike, got pedal traction pins swapped, hung a wasp trap ...

I was moving nonstop from 8:30 to about 4, and I do not know how it managed to take up all day to do that stuff. There must have been more in there somewhere.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I threw my back out trimming some trees and hauling the limbs into my woods. Good thing I see my chiropractor tomorrow.

Skiing never bothers my back!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I threw my back out trimming some trees and hauling the limbs into my woods. Good thing I see my chiropractor tomorrow.

Skiing never bothers my back!

Oof. I hope the chiro helps!

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't really do anything special in the summer that I don't do in the winter. Gymnastics and piano are year round for me. I signed up for a swimming class this summer to get proper instruction on the various swimming strokes, and I've toyed with the idea of trying horseback riding. Alas, only so much you can do on top of working full-time. Stupid job thing.

ETA: Oh, I do get some SUP in with @Olesya C and @Wendy in the summer.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yesterday we drove down to philly for a rock show. We got there early and spent the day walking around and eating.

I just registered for a pottery wheel class that starts in July. It will take up 8 Saturdays plus any extra studio time. I took a wheel class years ago and found it super satisfying and relaxing.

I’ve started my fire-escape herb garden:
0CD43D88-C517-43AB-9D8F-B4253D318900.jpeg

Basil, lemon thyme, orange thyme, pineapple mint, ginger mint, and assorted hot peppers(cayenne, tobacco, jalapeño)...I’ve never grown hot peppers before. Hopefully I get some yield. I also got a bay leaf plant which is sitting inside:
A4C19104-8BA2-4981-A97A-504C295F05D8.jpeg

Other stuff I want/need to do: start exercising, backpacking, learn how to stop properly on my fixie.....

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Trying to figure out how we can get to see Def Leppard/Journey this summer. They are coming to the Garden in the city this wednesday but not sure I can pull that off. They'll be at Fenway on 8/11 which is a saturday so it might be an excuse to spend the weekend in boston. TIckets are pricey but I was going regardless. Good news is Michael feels guilty because I'm a better sport about going to his shows than he is to mine so he'll likely spring for the tickets and go with me tee hee.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ren fest Saturday! I haven't been to a Renaissance Festival in ... probably 15-20 years. Unlike when I was a teen, I will not be dressing the part. (Anyway, those clothes haven't fit for a loooooong time.)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Love summer and am a lesser ski nut than some of you as I am generally done with winter and skiing by the end of March and don't start up again usually until late December or early January.

Guitaring is a year round thing for me though I play outdoors a heck of a lot more in the summer.

Mountain and road biking. I used to mtb through the winter, though maybe like once every other week rather than the 3 - 4 times per week I get out all spring and summer. It has been a couple of years since I got all dressed up in layers to ride in freezing temps so it is now definitely a spring - fall activity.

Kayaking - we tend to get out about 6 or so times a summer - have been once so far this year.

Sailing - hate racing and I have done a lot of it over the years...never again! My boat is too much of a PITA to sail to go out for a bunch of day sails so I tend to go just a few times per summer unless I take it up the coast for a few weeks which is always a great adventure! The kayaks always come with.

Grilling and gardening. We live in a small apartment with a small garden and grow a lot of herbs and a few tomato plants. Mucho basil growing this year. Have been using the dill for grilling salmon already. I let some go to seed every year and it comes up all over the place in the spring.

Music festivals. Have been to 2 already: French Quarter Fest in NOLA, and NOLA themed Crawfish Fest in northern New Jersey. Heading to the Grass Roots Fest in Ithaca NY in July (very hippy dippy with no big name headliners), Lockn Fest in VA in August (hippy dippy with lots of big names) and Blues and Brews in Telluride, CO in September!

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
......learn how to stop properly on my fixie.....

FUN! Put back pressure on your pedals as if you could backpedal. You’ll slow down. You’ll never be able to stop quickly as if on a freewheel bike, but you can learn to judge your stopping distances to be just fine on the roads. I found that I could modulate my speed better in traffic on a fixie than with a freewheel bike with brakes.

If you learn to do a track stand, you will be super cool. :ogcool:

I used to ride a fixie all winter long here in rural PA, up and down big hills. I gave mine to my nephew who now commutes to work on it in Seoul, South Korea. ogsmile

I’m sort of jealous of your ride. Fixies are great (I raced them for years on a velodrome).

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ren fest Saturday! I haven't been to a Renaissance Festival in ... probably 15-20 years. Unlike when I was a teen, I will not be dressing the part. (Anyway, those clothes haven't fit for a loooooong time.)

OMG, there’s a huge renaissance festival in central PA in the fall....

Who did you dress up as? Did you act as well?

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got out on my 14’ SUP for the first time yesterday. I did about 3 miles. I keep judging myself against the old Wendy who used to race SUP and I get frustrated that I can’t travel as far or fast. I’m hoping that paddling a few times a week will help me build up my endurance and strength.

Mid July, we head up to Maine, where I love to SUP in Casco Bay. I’d like to do some longer paddles than I did last summer.

Last summer I was recovering from breast cancer surgery and I never got all my fitness back. I’m finally starting to feel like the old Wendy is coming back...

We’ve got a 16 week old puppy who is keeping us on our toes as well!

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just started running again after a bit of a hiatus and it felt great. My coworker gave me this high intensity workout that toggles between running and walking at various inclines and speeds and I really liked it. I might sign up for a 5 or a 10k race come September.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy - My goodness, so flippin' cute. Where's the emoji with the hearts in the eyes when you need it? Love the name too!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
OMG, there’s a huge renaissance festival in central PA in the fall....

Who did you dress up as? Did you act as well?

Oh, hah. No no no. I wore some random bits and pieces - high leather boots, a peasant blouse, some bracers, a belt with a leather pouch - all purchased. I still have the boots - not sure about the rest. I may have purged it all. I did have a suede bodice that's about 100 sizes too small for me now. A chain mail choker, too, just for fun.

That was at the Maryland renaissance festival, many years ago. I viewed the fest mostly as a shopping expedition, I think, albeit often just window shopping, plus watching the jousts. I think this time, it will be mostly watching the jousts :) And probably buying a turkey leg, thinking it looks delicious, and then realizing for the 400th time how annoying they are to eat. And no one else in the group is dressing up, anyway.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I still have a pair of carved gargoyle horns from the PA ren fest waaaay back in the day, you're welcome to borrow them for the tiniest bit of festivity.

Sponsor