• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Summer activity: escape to Breck's cooler temperatures and let the dogs watch people from the deck.

20180601_090655.jpg

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
As Uncle Louie continues to recover from his broken neck, we've been thinking about ways to get more active outside since skiing next season seems unlikely. We've done some hiking and may experiment with kayaking too. Nothing too extreme, just nice to be outside enjoying the fresh air and the challenge. Not enjoying bugs and the slime that results from all the rain on the clay, but so far, pretty good.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The usual: tennis (yr long), cycling (road and mtb), fly fishing (backpacking and car).
The new: will visit Alaska this summer for the first time. It's a family trip, so tame site seeing. Not much on adventure.

WRT tomatillo's --- don't grow them like a few here... but love The Two Hot Tamales version of Pork Chile Verde. To me, the tomatillos make the dish. But, this is an autumn/winter dish for me.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Whatcha got @Uncle-A ?
Here's my two loaded touring mounts from the early 80's
1982 Specialized Expedition
1983 Lotus Éclair
You'll note they are sporting the wonderful half-step plus granny drivetrains, perfect gearing for loaded touring.
Then for lighter weekend tours these two beauties
1973 Gitane GranTourisme
1980 Bruce Gordon Sport Touring

View attachment 46894 View attachment 46895 View attachment 46896 View attachment 46897
I have two 1972 Royce Union 5 Speed Touring bikes. It was great to see your photos and list. One item that I am interested in is your 1973 Cycle Gitane GranTourismo because the ski shop that I worked in 1973 sold bikes in the off season and we sold that very bike as well as a few other lines. It was not as popular with our customers so we eventually dropped the line but I found it to be an interesting cycle.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Haven't had this out in years. Seems that every time I could try, it was too windy or overcast. It's sitting out back right now waiting for it to get dark. A few things I like to view will be out around 11, more about 1AM ( don't know if I'll last ).

20180602_190449.jpg

Last edited:

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Ended up a pretty good night of viewing. Spent some time looking at Jupiter which was a very good view. Toured around to a few galaxy's and star clusters. Finished the night with a view of Saturn very low on the horizon. Looking through all the atmosphere made the rings look like they were doing the wave.

Next time out, I'll take some images.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Started doing yoga regularly again and it feels amazing. I've also begun organizing/reorganizing the kitchen/cvs and the general living room area. We aren't home much from November till May so come June things can get a bit unorganized.

Today's activity will be mimosa'ing in the backyard.

:bloodymary:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I teach high school, summer is a real off season for me.

I grow my own vegetables, do lots of landscape projects with my husband, stand up paddleboard, run and hike with the dogs, and read. Usually I have some sort of reading goal.....this summer it is to read all of Daphne du Maurier’s novels and short stories. I’ve read about seven so far. Last summer, I read everything I could about North Korea. The summer before, all the Icelandic Sagas and a bunch of novels by Icelandic authors.

I maintain my boxing/MMA class regimen that I do throughout the year.

We have a new puppy, Domino, who will need some extra attention and acclimation. ogsmile

This summer, I’m researching my family tree, so there’s a few trips to some small PA towns’ historical societies to solve some mysteries.

I also volunteer at the organic farm down the road. I’m partial to the animals....goats, sheep, pigs, cows, chickens. I love getting dirty and I don’t mind animal poop. :)

We take a couple week vacation....this year, we are returning to South Portland, Maine for 3 weeks. It’s a good place to take the dogs, SUP, swim, ride bikes, and visit breweries/distilleries.

I also sail with my brother. He has a 29.5’ Hunter moored in Noank, CT, and we usually do a week-long trip out to Block Island. Sailing is awesome but I’m glad I don’t own my own boat. Twice we’ve sailed back from BI right before hurricanes (Irene and Sandy) and the boatyard preparations were laborious and intense. We’ve also sailed in fog and some pretty rough water, which is great adventure, but nerve-wracking. My husband usually only goes out for day sails with us on LI Sound and leaves the multi day sails to me and my brother, lol.

Otherwise, I enjoy a slower pace of being home and not having to rush off to school at 6:30AM. Last year I was recovering from breast cancer reconstruction surgery, so I’m thankful to have a more “normal” summer this year.

Working the “pooper pumper” after a sailing trip, lol:
95B12F8A-5280-4E38-B92E-1D67B25313C1.jpeg

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Started doing yoga regularly again and it feels amazing.

I'm struggling with scheduling (mostly because I have *one* favorite teacher and *one* favorite class with her, and it's only available twice a week), but yoga makes such a difference for my knee, my shoulders, and my mental health.

I've learned that my favorite instructors have a sense of humor ("Monique! Jazz hands!") and do NOT always exhort you to push. No matter how many times I tell myself to listen to my body - if the instructor is constantly talking about pushing, I'll hurt something. The instructors I like encourage you to listen to your body - and give you cues for when to push vs when to pull back. They remind you repeatedly that your body is not the same as your neighbor's body - you may look like you're barely in the pose and be at the end of your range, while they may be contorted like a pretzel and still not be pushing themselves.

My favorite is hot flow (95*). I want to be dripping sweat at the end of the class.

I grow my own vegetables

The "new" drip system has been a blessing for this; I can still go out of town on the weekends, which preserves my sanity.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm struggling with scheduling (mostly because I have *one* favorite teacher and *one* favorite class with her, and it's only available twice a week), but yoga makes such a difference for my knee, my shoulders, and my mental health.

I've learned that my favorite instructors have a sense of humor ("Monique! Jazz hands!") and do NOT always exhort you to push. No matter how many times I tell myself to listen to my body - if the instructor is constantly talking about pushing, I'll hurt something. The instructors I like encourage you to listen to your body - and give you cues for when to push vs when to pull back. They remind you repeatedly that your body is not the same as your neighbor's body - you may look like you're barely in the pose and be at the end of your range, while they may be contorted like a pretzel and still not be pushing themselves.

My favorite is hot flow (95*). I want to be dripping sweat at the end of the class.

The "new" drip system has been a blessing for this; I can still go out of town on the weekends, which preserves my sanity.

I have 2 yoga instructors at my gym I like. Both are very different as far as energy level goes but the common denominator they share is they don't push, they always give alternatives to movements and they always stress that you should listen to your body and not your ego. I'd like to go to more classes but given where my job is and where I live, at this point I can't even get to one of the classes I like at 645pm on Thursdays. Now I can only get to the Sunday 8am class during the off season. I definitely need to find alternatives but right now I'm doing this when I can. I love the stretching and it so helps my mind and balance. I've tried slower movement yoga, more traditional I guess you'd call it. I don't care for vinyassa. I'm terrified of hot yoga because I don't do heat well. I don't sweat much and just get hot and miserable. I'm like a cold weather dog who just doesn't do well in hot/humidity. Hot yoga sounds like a miserable time, for me. I know others love it and I'm not knocking but I don't think I'm enjoy it much at all. In general though I love yoga and just feel so good after a class. I'd like to try barre I think it's called and then there's some kinda class with these rope things hanging from the ceiling and you entwine yourself in these and perform various movements, this looks interesting.... not sure what it's called.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hot yoga sounds like a miserable time, for me.

I hear ya. In general, I hate heat. I don't know why I feel differently about hot yoga - but it works for me. I think it just lets me go deeper, and I think there's also something about allowing the discomfort. But that's not a knock on you or anyone else who doesn't like it. There are soooo many styles.

Sponsor

Staff online