• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
More than a few remodeling and home improvement projects. Here is the main floor laundry going in. The grapes are going off right now so there has been a break in the taping. Not nearly enough golf though. Go back to work end of the month so there is still time to cure the inequity.

20190902_202535.jpg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I signed up to run a half marathon Oct. 13th and have been training for it all summer. Every Sat I run the farthest I have ever run in my life:roflmao: This week's long run will be 10 miles. I did hill repeats today, on the road I affectionately call, "the hill of doom." Half mile down, half mile up. And again. And again.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I admire anyone who trail runs because my middle name is not grace and its best I don't try that.

Still off season for another 5 weeks thereabouts and now there's this.

IMG_20190905_202556_589.jpg

Stoll lots of hiking and dsic golf to come on the weekends so not quite done with off season yet. Biathlon charity event this Saturday at Magic so I'll burn lots of calories then.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A photographic recap of the more fun parts of my summer. I did more camping and hiking than I had in the past few years, which was enjoyable. I love being in the mountains!

I tried to ride my bike as much as I could, but I have fallen into a tough pattern of not very consistent rides followed by epic, tough rides (most of those with @Rainbow Jenny and @LouD-Truckee, lol). I have not done nearly as much riding on dirt as I would like, but it's still summer/off-season (and I just bought a new mountain bike)!

I tried to run as consistently as possible, given the heat, still recovering from foot surgery, etc.

I also did lots of swimming, which is a constant in my life. Glad I kept that going during ski season; it's been a much easier summer because of that.

I didn't take any long, major vacations: most of my trips were long weekends, day trips, and one 11 day trip to Tahoe and then Eastern Sierras.

3EDBCE23-9618-4004-A7D4-F47BDF09D306.jpeg

Started summer skiing at Squaw (my last ski day this season), followed by a Truckee dirt ride.
668E160E-A0ED-4CED-93D0-CF601D84357F.jpeg
6AB96FC8-08DF-42F8-9372-0887C9D83F04.jpeg

Spent a day in San Francisco for my daughter’s birthday, visiting SFMoMA, eating at Greens, and walking along the water front.
31FC81B5-E2E7-4ED5-8F6B-FF1C3ABD8CB4.jpeg

Swam in a mountain lake on a hike.
FC84BCCD-0FF0-45F2-B0E7-9CFDB940344E.jpeg

Hiked through snowfields in the Eastern Sierra.
A4BCAF89-994F-4168-91E5-E0D78A77F209.jpeg

Mountain biked Mammoth Rock Trail.
88C34275-F9FA-4CDC-AA9C-0E342B9D09E7.jpeg

Camped at Convict Lake.
A8624CA9-1E15-4A62-B248-F79497FF3AA6.jpeg

Bike ride on Donner Pass Road.
C8DD3C78-24BA-4DBB-8E81-3D740E5D0121.jpeg

Mammoth Bluesapalooza
7D241649-F070-4788-A623-368D5780AF0B.jpeg

Sierra foothills ride

743BFA93-9DB3-4C2E-9B4C-23D8EAF0481E.jpeg

Nordic Center mountain bike
028C7EA8-B370-4E7C-A57B-64A8D00E3F72.jpeg

Local ride
A5BC2E2C-E1DA-424A-860D-3D7280131C34.jpeg
51A1A3DB-C546-4D82-B0BD-1C8B6F3E1C76.jpeg

Rode Point Reyes
5D51F512-B121-445E-ACE3-B93F539F437D.jpeg

Quick overnight to Tahoe City: we were going to mountain bike, but daughter got sick.

Attachments

• 1F2B285D-2EE5-4BC4-B4D6-BB5F70FEAEFC.jpeg
    1F2B285D-2EE5-4BC4-B4D6-BB5F70FEAEFC.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3
  • B9EC3A6E-8443-4ABC-905F-7B6415BB4839.jpeg
    B9EC3A6E-8443-4ABC-905F-7B6415BB4839.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A h
I signed up to run a half marathon Oct. 13th and have been training for it all summer. Every Sat I run the farthest I have ever run in my life:roflmao: This week's long run will be 10 miles. I did hill repeats today, on the road I affectionately call, "the hill of doom." Half mile down, half mile up. And again. And again.
A half marathon is the most I ever did before I hung up the running shoes. Bad back did me in, but doesn't stop me from skiing! My regular 5 and 7 route was all hills, so I mixed in track work outs to increase my speed. Good luck to you with your race!

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I survived my first charity golf tournament and my friend and I are still friends. 9 holes in scramble format. We we with 2 guys for the day. It was a best off so Jenn and I would each hit the ball and work off the best shot which was almost always Jenn because she's the golfer not me. That said we used my ball a 2-3 times because it was in a better position. We actually made par in at least 2 holes. I got to take my bloody mary to go and drive the golf cart sometimes. It was so much fun. Going to the golfing range 2 weeks ago helped me more than I realized because I only had 2 scratches and hit the ball straight every time. Back to Magic for a quick lunch on the deck and then we went off with Andy and Thomas for the disc golf portion. I'd never played at magic before but all our hiking has paid off because the uphill course didn't bother me at all. Then we had a nice steak dinner afterwards. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing it next year.

We're going to come back a couple times toward the end of September and the month of October and play some and enjoy fall. We'll do best ball and just have fun. I never thought I'd enjoy regular golf but it was fun.

We took Jen disc golfing sunday at bromley and she had a blast. She got me into golf and I got her into disc golf............................

Frank from Bromley who was instrumental in bringing disc golf to Bromley suggested we check out the free disc golf course in Manchester. It'll be a nice place to practice/play when the mountain locations close. Now we have something to do in stick season wooh hooh.............

I'm super stoked to ski and can't believe we'll be skiing next month but I might actually be a little sad when we put out golf stuff away for the winter seaosn.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Placed 3rd overall with old wood rifles. 3 rifle aggregate. Garand, Springfield and a Krag. I won the Springfield with a margin, shot the Garand well, but didnt do to well with the Krag. Its a 121 years old so I will give her a break. I was surprised when they called me.
d.jpg

A 1897 Krag built in 1898. Sights are made for younger eyes than mine but I get by.

f.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As snow season slowly creeps closer will amuse you folks with a few camp site images from 3 of 4 backpacking trips this summer.

am1694y.jpg

Image near sunset in Desolation Wilderness during a 6 day backpacking trip. Late afternoon I'd moved my freestanding BA CS UL1 tent sans fly, where it had been down beneath a lodgepole pine up to this spot on bedrock next to a small snow melt water pool where I had a nice open view of the night sky. The black cylinder is a Garcia bear canister though note I didn't see any bears during that trip into the Glen Alpine Creek basin above Fallen Leaf Lake near Tahoe.

am1626y.jpg

Lounging mid day along Half Moon Lake with Dicks Peak in the background where I had taken a dip into the cool waters, ate lunch, and listening to MP3 earbuds. Was very green and flowery at the peak of summer late July at these 8k and 9k elevations.

am1761y.jpg

Another of my 4 camp sites during the trip with Susie Lake in the background. A minor cliff was just behind where my drying shirts are hanging. Had taken a dip into a nearby pond earlier as will do so to feel clean most days regardless of how chilly water may be. My camp spots are almost always in remote areas well away from trails or popular lake edges.

ao2432y.jpg

Bro J and his tent above Duck Lake on September 6. J caught several eastern brook trout we enjoyed dining on. First 3 days on the 5 day backpack had cold front storms. We sited our camp at this spot no other groups had used below whitebark pines maybe 100 feet vertical above the trail that routes near the lake edge. Upon reaching the spot about 8am on the second day, a violent thunderstorm was upon us as we barely escaped into our frantically set up tents before a gusty cold rain poured down. It was also one one the only places around the large deep lake that had a running fresh water spring.

an2292y.jpg

August 27 at the notorious snowfield crossing just below and east of Shepherd Pass at 12.0k where the John Muir Wilderness borders Sequoia National Park. I'd crossed the snowfield and pass earlier on 8/22 and was on my way out on the 9 day adventure. The snowfield drops down steeply 400 feet where a slip could be fatal upon crashing into the talus below. Without crampons or ice axe, I'd waited till 9am as the sun warmed up the firm snow a bit before crossing. The 6370 feet of uphill over 10.5 miles to the trail pass is the most strenuous in the range, however I did so over 3 days while carrying a bit over 60 pounds and note little me weighs just 133#. The worst section is a 4.9 mile 2.8k waterless section I knocked off most of day 1 by hiking with a headlamp in cooler evening temps after parking at the trailhead in 96F heat.

ao2119.jpg

Camp spot at 11.2k on Bighorn Plateau on August 24 with Tawny Point in the background. Had sunny mild though breezy weather the whole trip. The strenuous adventure really strengthened my bump skiing legs that am now trying to retain till snow arrives.

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We are still playing disc golf every week. Bromley is now closed til the snow flies and they take down their baskets so we still have Magic and have this awesome free course in Manchester that we played last saturday. Only did the front nine. This weekend we're playing all 18 and then checking out the Albany ski show and craft beer expo on Sunday which will be fun. My off season is almost over as I'm waiting for Mount Snow and Killington to open so that I can get some early season turns in before Bromley opens on 11/23. Still off season but not for much longer. Entering stick season in Vermont and we will relish the quiet before the insanity ensues.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use to do a fair bit of drag racing and other car related activities but that has dwindled quite a bit. It turned in to haulingmy car long distances to break it, work on it, give up, and drink beer with friends.
Drag Racing.jpg
Broke 1.jpg
Broke 2.jpg

A few years ago we got in to RVing (I hate to call it camping). We stick mostly to commercial campgrounds that offer a ton of stuff for kids. We started out with a travel trailer in 2016 and moved up to a fifth wheel this year. We've been to Disney, the Outer Banks, amish country in PA, and a ton of other places withing a few hours of home.
old camper 1.jpg
old camper 2.jpg

New Camper.jpg
New Camper 2.jpg
Disney 1.jpg

Campfire.jpg
Fishing.jpg

We also have our son involved in scouting including actual camping....usually in the mud or freezing cold.
Scout Camping.jpg
Peterloon.jpg
Scout Camping 2.jpg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With Memorial weekend coming, and a quick end to lift served skiing, this thread needs a good bump.

I know @Andy Mink is on his second primitive/glamping weekend with his usual camping crew. Maybe he'll share pics when he gets service.

@Philpug and I are expecting @Tyler Pugliese for the weekend,(maybe longer) :yahoo:
We'll find some remote places to hike and do some back yard grilling and chilling.

As we slowly sneak out from under the SIP shroud, let's start to find some fun things to do to bring some normalcy to our world. Healthy and happy FTW

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm riding, cutting up deadfall, raking the yard, staining decks and rails and maybe soon, building my toy barn for my truck. I am staying close to home and not socializing. It seems I only socialize, and only a bit, during ski season.

And quite fortunately (normally I'd say 'Of course') I'm working my derriere off as no one's PC issues have stopped.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm doing a Garmin Connect running training program -have to run now before it gets too hot around here. I hope to do some trail running this summer once I feel comfortable leaving my area (I've only left town once since SIP, and that was to get COVID testing in Sacramento).

We have a day permit to hike Mt Whitney in July. I'm trying to figure out if I can realistically do that if I can't get time off work (I have the day before the planned hike off, but work the day after). Ideally, I'd like to be at elevation for at least 5 days before the hike, but I made my PTO request too late. There's no way I'll be able to work my usual 12 hour shift the day after, either. It's a long hike to do in one day.

My daughter and her boyfriend are planning to visit at the end of June, hoping we'll do some mountain biking then!