• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you collect?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In the past I collected figurines for a couple different anime or video games I liked, I still have them but they never got set back up after we moved into our house 4 years ago. I've also got a pretty large collection of manga on the book shelves too.

Now.. Knives, mostly because I actually work in a job where I can use them daily and can rationalize them that way. I have nine in my edc tray and another dozen or so in various places for specific uses.. nothing really expensive but everything is decent and usable. Plus a large kitchen block full of a mix of mid range kitchen knives. The picture is missing two of my Kershaw Blurs, one lives in our RV and the other lives at work and all of my Leatherman tools live in either my ski patrol bag or my car.

View attachment 105744
Nice collection, and it is great that you use them for work. I believe that to 98% of the world a knife is a tool and that for the other 2% it is a weapon. I carry a Swiss Army Knife with my keys and don't think of it is anything but a tool. Of course a lot of people would think I am a 2% carrier of a weapon. If I walked around with a pliers in my pocket no one would care. SAD.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nice collection, and it is great that you use them for work. I believe that to 98% of the world a knife is a tool and that for the other 2% it is a weapon. I carry a Swiss Army Knife with my keys and don't think of it is anything but a tool. Of course a lot of people would think I am a 2% carrier of a weapon. If I walked around with a pliers in my pocket no one would care. SAD.
I've got a Swiss Army Officer model that my grandfather gave my for graduation in the 1980s. Small, simple, but the tools it comes with are easily the perfect things to have handy in my pocket. Everything still works perfectly.. No comment on what the tweezers and pick got used most forback in the day LOL! Due to the sentimental value, it's the only knife that I'd walk back to the car and leave there rather than surrender at a venue or airport checkpoint to enter quicker.

Uncle-A

Skier
I've got a Swiss Army Officer model that my grandfather gave my for graduation in the 1980s. Small, simple, but the tools it comes with are easily the perfect things to have handy in my pocket. Everything still works perfectly.. No comment on what the tweezers and pick got used most forback in the day LOL! Due to the sentimental value, it's the only knife that I'd walk back to the car and leave there rather than surrender at a venue or airport checkpoint to enter quicker.
I have more than one SAK and one dates back to the 1950's. The most common brand of SAK is Victorinox but did you know that another company is also authorized to make SAK's can you name that company?

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I have more than one SAK and one dates back to the 1950's. The most common brand of SAK is Victorinox but did you know that another company is also authorized to make SAK's can you name that company?

Thought Wenger was the other one, although I don't think I've ever seen one.

I seem to collect cars, although it wasn't intentional.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
did you know that another company is also authorized to make SAK's can you name that company?

No clue. My only other "nice" knife is a Buck knife I bought in high school. Quality piece of metal.

1594048033805.png

Uncle-A

Skier
Thought Wenger was the other one, although I don't think I've ever seen one.

I seem to collect cars, although it wasn't intentional.
Yes, you are correct Wagner is one of the authorized manufacturers. Are there more?

Uncle-A

Skier
No clue. My only other "nice" knife is a Buck knife I bought in high school. Quality piece of metal.

View attachment 105754
Buck makes a good product, back in the 70's and 80's I would carry the smaller model in my pocket. It was a good tool and very durable. Although I found it easy to lose maybe I should have used the next size up with the case like yours.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
60 skateboards, mostly 70s and 80s gear. Here's some freestyle reissues..
1594245485657.png

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, you are correct Wagner is one of the authorized manufacturers. Are there more?
Its a bit of a trick question since Victorinox purchased Wenger in 2005 so its only One manufacturer.

If you've been on a swiss tourist trip tour they go over the knives history when you visit the factory. All the red plastic ones that you are familiar with with the gadgets while still functional are more of a novelty and collectible rather than a tool. I have a few. They also come in different colors, before you could only get these colors in Switzerland, but now they are widely available and now can be cross branded with hollywood movies and as promotional gifts. Just like Zippo is more for fun rather than pure practicality. Perhaps though with all the cross promos you can say they "sold out" a bit.

The actual Swiss Army issued knife there have only been a very few number models and they haven't changed. You may find it interesting that they are not those red collectible products.

Still applicable, is the Soldier 1961 which is most like the red knives. From 1961 to 2007 it is metal aluminium textured knife though, not red smooth plastic! But I think it has an amazing timeless classic look.
show_image.php

The biggest notable difference between this and the red products, is the main blade and tools are considerably more robust then the red models. The typical red "swiss army knife" blade is pretty flimsy and can be broken relatively easily. It is a bit harder now that their product line also uses this design in the other models, so you need to look specifically for the soldier 1961 if you want this.

From 2008, the swiss finally updated new soldier08 model (which perhaps ironically was first developed for the German Army Knife), Perhaps not as visually appealing to the timeless 1961, but also not red!
show_image.php

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade if you like swiss army knifes, I have several saks myself.
Just giving my 2cents on the background and classification of the red ones are more like an executive toy or collectible gift, and the swiss military never actually used the red knives.

For practical purposes, for example if you were thinking of getting a new scout a gift of a knife to use, unless it's really about having fun with the gadgets; I would discourage you from getting the red smooth plastic knifes popularized in MacGyver; and either get one of these actual Soldier style models, or as an alternative the Camillus BSA scout knife. The main blade in the Camillus is also much more robust and less likely to get broken in actual usage. Of course, a dedicated single blade knife is also magnitudes more robust than either(but without the fun gadgets).

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The actual Swiss Army issued knife there have only been a very few number models and they haven't changed. You may find it interesting that they are not those red collectible products.
Hmmmm... I carry a smaller red plastic SAK backpacking because it's about perfect. My most used tool is the tweezers to remove splinters. Occasionally the main blade gets used to clean a fish, certainly not a heavy duty task. Don't suppose either of the actual "soldier" models come with tweezers? A more durable version would be nice.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmmm... I carry a smaller red plastic SAK backpacking because it's about perfect. My most used tool is the tweezers to remove splinters. Occasionally the main blade gets used to clean a fish, certainly not a heavy duty task. Don't suppose either of the actual "soldier" models come with tweezers? A more durable version would be nice.
Answering my own question.... The version I seem to want is
show_image.php

Uncle-A

Skier
Its a bit of a trick question since Victorinox purchased Wenger in 2005 so its only One manufacturer.

If you've been on a swiss tourist trip tour they go over the knives history when you visit the factory. All the red plastic ones that you are familiar with with the gadgets while still functional are more of a novelty and collectible rather than a tool. I have a few. They also come in different colors, before you could only get these colors in Switzerland, but now they are widely available and now can be cross branded with hollywood movies and as promotional gifts. Just like Zippo is more for fun rather than pure practicality. Perhaps though with all the cross promos you can say they "sold out" a bit.

Still applicable, is the Soldier 1961 which is most like the red knives. From 1961 to 2007 it is metal aluminium textured knife though, not red smooth plastic! But I think it has an amazing timeless classic look.
show_image.php

The biggest notable difference between this and the red products, is the main blade and tools are considerably more robust then the red models. The typical red "swiss army knife" blade is pretty flimsy and can be broken relatively easily. It is a bit harder now that their product line also uses this design in the other models, so you need to look specifically for the soldier 1961 if you want this.

From 2008, the swiss finally updated new soldier08 model (which perhaps ironically was first developed for the German Army Knife), Perhaps not as visually appealing to the timeless 1961, but also not red!
show_image.php

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade if you like swiss army knifes, I have several saks myself.
Just giving my 2cents on the background and classification of the red ones are more like an executive toy or collectible gift, and the swiss military never actually used the red knives.

For practical purposes, for example if you were thinking of getting a new scout a gift of a knife to use, unless it's really about having fun with the gadgets; I would discourage you from getting the red smooth plastic knifes popularized in MacGyver; and either get one of these actual Soldier style models, or as an alternative the Camillus BSA scout knife. The main blade in the Camillus is also much more robust and less likely to get broken in actual usage. Of course, a dedicated single blade knife is also magnitudes more robust than either(but without the fun gadgets).
Thanks for the information, it made me dig up just a few of mine.
IMG_20200709_065721.jpg

IMG_20200709_065906.jpg

The first photo is just a few of my SAK's, from the top down is my first model that is 60+ years old. The second is the Soldier that I have for several years but not used very much. The third is a fake SAK that I picked up in Aspen when on my honeymoon 41 years ago and it is funny that the only thing that broke was the corkscrew and I don't know if that says something about me or the fake SAK. The fourth is one of the promotional versions mentioned above, we would give them to our customers. That is the last of a few I had leftover, it was fun to see customers dressed in business suites playing with the little SAK after they received the gift. The company logo was printed with ink but wouldn't last very long, but the small model is always good to have in your pocket. BTW it is not red but black. The last one in the first photo is the one I use the most. As I talked about in an earlier post it has my keys attached and keeps me happy when I need a tool.
The second photo is a close up of my oldest 60+ years old. It was made by a third company called Overland in Solingen Germany, I guess that it is made of Solingen Steel and the only thing that broke was the ring on the end of the SAK that would have been used to clip it on to a lanyard or belt. From what I have been able to find out it is not a fake, just one made in Germany.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thanks for the information, it made me dig up just a few of mine. View attachment 105906
View attachment 105907
The first photo is just a few of my SAK's, from the top down is my first model that is 60+ years old. The second is the Soldier that I have for several years but not used very much. The third is a fake SAK that I picked up in Aspen when on my honeymoon 41 years ago and it is funny that the only thing that broke was the corkscrew and I don't know if that says something about me or the fake SAK. The fourth is one of the promotional versions mentioned above, we would give them to our customers. That is the last of a few I had leftover, it was fun to see customers dressed in business suites playing with the little SAK after they received the gift. The company logo was printed with ink but wouldn't last very long, but the small model is always good to have in your pocket. BTW it is not red but black. The last one in the first photo is the one I use the most. As I talked about in an earlier post it has my keys attached and keeps me happy when I need a tool.
The second photo is a close up of my oldest 60+ years old. It was made by a third company called Overland in Solingen Germany, I guess that it is made of Solingen Steel and the only thing that broke was the ring on the end of the SAK that would have been used to clip it on to a lanyard or belt. From what I have been able to find out it is not a fake, just one made in Germany.
I decided to go look and see if I could find a photo of mine online rather than taking a photo. I found a black one for sale on Ebay but two pages of google photos for "swiss army 5 blade officer knife" didn't yield one exactly like mine. Mine is like this but red.. no corkscrew or bottle opener..
1594298632714.png

I've had some others, but this one is by far, my favorite. It's slightly bigger than a tube of chapstick

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Best model ever, a most useful tool.
Main thing I don't like about the slightly larger ones especially with a corkscrew, is that they wear holes in my pants pocket pretty quickly if I carry them around often. So, slightly smaller without those two things, bottle opener and corkscrew, is better for everyday use. I can open a bottle with just about anything and never need a corkscrew, not a wine or champagne guy..

James

Out There
Instructor
I decided to go look and see if I could find a photo of mine online rather than taking a photo. I found a black one for sale on Ebay but two pages of google photos for "swiss army 5 blade officer knife" didn't yield one exactly like mine. Mine is like this but red.. no corkscrew or bottle opener..
View attachment 105908

I've had some others, but this one is by far, my favorite. It's slightly bigger than a tube of chapstick
I used to have the “Cadet” model. Victorinox. Very basic. It had an aluminum case, but the ridges in the aluminum were longitudinal. Really nice looking. Haven’t seen it in years.

Get the “Tinker” model. Instead of a corkscrew, it has a phillips screwdriver. They’ve made it for at least 30 yrs.

Sponsor