• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I carry a lot of gear.....

- Black Diamond JetForce Saga 40L pack.
- Comprehensive first aid kit (SAM splint, facemask, quick clots, glacier gel, moleskin, plus all the bandages, wraps and everything else in a 1st aid kit, everything stored in waterproof pouches). Accident reporting form in zip lock bag. I do need to add a couple of tourniquets..... note to self!
- Skins (not just for touring, but also to give uphill capability incase I need to get uphill to someone in soft snow).
- Rescue bubble (no longer made unfortunately, but this is an all in one rescue sled, rolled up, ready to deploy, with paracord).
- Beacon (Mammut Baryvox S, always worn, always on, beacon check done at the accommodation before leaving for the day), probe (BCA aluminum 300cm, I don't use the storage bag it comes in), shovel (BCA B-2 Ext with snowsaw).
- Snow science kit (notebook, pencil, crystal card, a couple of different hand loupes, rutschblock cord (knotted paracord, multiple applications), slopemeter/compass (kept in my hip pocket).
- Garmin InReach Explorer +.
- Multi-tool.
- Survival kit (all in one from SOL, includes whistle, knife, light, spark, fuel impregnated kindle, fishing line, hooks, aluminum foil, signal mirror).
- Spare part kit (zip ties, duct tape attached to ski poles).
- Water, energy snacks.
- Spare gloves.
- Inner gloves.
- Beanie.
- Baseball cap for touring.
- Helmet.
- Face buff.
- Sunglasses.
- Spare goggle lens.
- Puffy jacket in it's own stuff sack.
- Rubber ski straps.
- Cell phone.
- GoPro (for taking sick pow video and also I use a lot for my own liability protection).
- Radio's for internal group communication. I use it a lot to describe snow conditions back to group, to suggest other lines, if going beyond line of sight (includes speaker mike on my pack, so using the radio is convenient). Different radios depending on the country I'm in (eg Japan, I have to carry specific Japanese radios).
- Have a color copy of my passport info page stored inside my bag (so I can be identified, if something goes wrong).
- Cash, credit card, driver's license.

That's my general OB kit, sometimes that'll have other items in it (NZ we use harnesses and a nutcracker, for example).

- Matt

WxGuy

You are what you ski.
Skier
Interesting lists.

Did not see much mention/discussion about flashlights, though... I am kind of a flashlight geek, probably because our winter days are so short here at 62 N, especially at first of year.

I've been out with the kids for an afternoon outing (16 F), bushwacking up an animal trail. We're about 2.5 km up the trail when my son (14) breaks a ski right at the binding. I spent about 20 min trying for some fix for the ski, using what I had available. No go. It was about 2:15. We had lost the (weak) sun about an hour ago, with sunset @ about 3:30. I did the math and realized that what would have been a fun 20-minute downhill ski back to the truck was going to be a trudge of at least 90 min. Unfortunately, we had a good snowpack that year, about 80" under our feet.

Not a lot of viable options, since I was not going to leave my kids in that cold.. It took us about an hour to get halfway out. 1 km to go, sun was down, and since we were walking down in elevation, the temperature inversion was working against us. Both my kids are real troopers in the cold, but my feet were starting to get cold, (now 9 F) so I knew they were probably miserable, especially my son who was post-holing up to his crotch.

Fortunately we all had extra mitten liners and serious extra socks. The mitts were a no-brainer- but what about the socks? My feet were sweaty, and I would feel a lot better with those dry socks on. But changing socks at these temps- that is non-trivial. A quick vote went for changing sox, even though it was dark, so we made a little nest in the alders,. I changed their socks- quick as a fox- and refastened their boots by feel, with little timeouts to "warm up" my hands. We were all starting to get hypothermic from sitting down, and were ready to hit the trail

Except... no trail. we were lost! I am near panic point now. Cold is serious, dangerous stuff. How could I have done this to my kids? I do a quick search of my kit and find a flashlight (yeah!) , one of the ubiquitous LED guys about 4" long. I turn it on and a feeble light comes out, withering to nothing in about 30 sec. SH1T! Then I am blinded by light. My daughter (12) had the flashlight she always carries in her pocket (same model as mine) in case of moose encounters on the walk to the school-bus stop. GOOD GIRL! (She was grinning ear-to-ear, which means a lot given our hypothermic state. Can we dads ever give our daughters enough praise for their toughness?) We look around and realize that we had walked out of the alder the wrong way, and there was the trail, about 10 ft. away.. 15 minutes later we had the heater on in the truck, taking turns toasting our feet. -3 F on the truck thermometer.

As we were walking that last stretch, I dug a little deeper and found another flashlight, in my innermost layer. With good batteries. I never told my kids though. I was fine with my girl being the hero. W/o a flashlight we would have frozen a lot more flesh before someone came looking for us. She had just a touch of frost-nip on one little toe. (makes me wonder if that would have been worse w/o the sox change.)

So. Flashlights are a good thing even if you don't see an obvious need. Stuff happens

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
side not not on what to carry but related to letting trusted folks not going know your schedule.

besides the note in vehicle and telling, one can set up a delayed email to remind those you told to either double check now and in x hours or call authorities ..

In google email - under "Send" use the pull down menu under the arrow. Suspect similar on Outlook, other emails.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did not see much mention/discussion about flashlights, though... I am kind of a flashlight geek, probably because our winter days are so short here at 62 N, especially at first of year.
Because this was only a thread about environmental protection: clothes, shelter etc. For sure lighting deserves a place in most packs. In order to be able to have a effective discusion, I was trying to focus on one function/category at a time. Lighting and and navigation gear certainly deserves its own discussion.

I
I changed their socks- quick as a fox- and refastened their boots by feel, with little timeouts to "warm up" my hands. We were all starting to get hypothermic from sitting down, and were ready to hit the trail.
So have you started bringing more or warmer layers since that incident? Sit pads? What are you using now?

I
Fortunately we all had ..serious extra socks. ... She had just a touch of frost-nip on one little toe. (makes me wonder if that would have been worse w/o the sox change.)

So that brings up something that no one has mentioned until now, spare footwear.
Personally, my family and I use Intuition liners in our touring boots, so closed cell foam. Therefore, I feel fairly ok not bringing spare socks or such, since they will continue to insulate even if wet. Ski socks are so thin that a new dry pair wouldn't make much of a difference, since it would be equally wet in a very hort time.

In XC/Hiking boots though, I could totally see it (and certainly bring it when river skiing s the chance of getting a wet foot is so high). I do always bring chemical toe warmers.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I might switch from bringing a bivy sack to bringing a bothy bag.
If you are not familiar with bothy bags, they are basically a giant bag you pull over and sit inside, forming a ‘tent’ that you sit inside in wet and windy weather, using your body as the ‘poles’ and ‘stakes’. This provides a dry and wind still space to eat, pull out maps, adjust gear etc.

A bivy sack is pretty much limited to emergency use, whereas a bothy bag is nice to use for rest breaks and for preventing emergencies, like messing with gear in exposed, windy or wet conditions. The weight is not much more. Especially for outing with kiddos less experienced people.

SOL breathable ultralight bivy: 5.5oz single person ( https://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.c...vive-outdoors-longer-escape-litetm-bivvy.html )

Rab Superlight 4 person shelter (‘bothy bag’), 11 oz.

Here are some pics I pulled from BPL forum discussion about bothy bags:
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/is-a-light-bothy-a-winter-hiking-essential/

B356CDC3-E7FB-45D2-B7A0-560FC59B98C6.jpeg

0C79AB03-274A-43E0-85F2-45C763CA8A32.jpeg
5D145665-42F7-4088-B40C-FAEF61F6073C.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How about a micro puff sleeping bag?
10243749_zm

10243749_vPack

I'd thing that would be as good as anything, especially for someone who is hurt and unable to travel.. or if you're just plain stuck until the weather breaks or sun comes back out/up. The rest of the usual things folks want handy when not near a car or civilized structures above as well/

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@crgildart , for insulation, I prefer to bring a jacket and possibly pants vs a sleeping bag or quilt.. It is more multifunctional. A sleeping bag or quilt can can only be used while immobile, whereas a parka(and other clothing) can be used while moving or performing other tasks.