• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What did you forget your first day out this season?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot my boots. The first TWO times I went. Luckily I remembered soon enough to turn around and not waste too much time, but ... really??

Reminds me of one day last year I blanked getting my boot bag ready and left my boot liners sitting on the floor next to the boot bag as I packed up my boots and everything else :nono: Drove to the mountain and then realized "what have I done" Skiing in boots without the liners does not work. Luckily only an hour drive home. So, two hours later I was back and ready to ski.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last year I forgot my walet, i figured it out at the gas station, I had enough fuel to get to the Mt but not home from the Mt. Called a buddy and he said keep coming I will give you money for gas home. Nice to have good friends
That is why you make sure to tip the bartender well. I'm pretty sure that I'm putting my bartenders kids through college and that he would be happy to spot me a $20 if I needed to get home ;)

Seve

Live Free or Die Baby
Skier
First day of the season for me today at Killington and the only misstep was forgetting to put my stash of ibuprofen in the ski jacket before I left. Fixed it!

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Nothing forgotten on my first 2 ski days.... but I did forget my license, cash & cc when I went to work the past two days because I removed them from my wallet & placed into my ski jacket over the weekend. Noticed this morning at the gas station when I opened up the empty wallet. Thank goodness for smartpay apps

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
"Helmet, gloves, boots, and poles" is the first line of the song I sing to myself to remember stuff I've left behind before.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have a Season Start checklist, so the locker was pre-loaded two days before. And first day, no issues. But the second day I forgot these darned goggles which I need to bring home to charge. Fortunately, there's spares in the locker, do no harm done. Justified the locker (almost) in two days. I say "almost" because new goggles are less than the locker...

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Forgot to drop the shell and dress warm on Thursday. Only day 37 so I plenty of time to get up to speed on necessary layering.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I usually do some spinning around in both directions. Just a flat ski exercise and I don't really know why I do it, but. I have been doing it forever and always on the first run or so of the season. Skied 1 day so far and I forgot completely about it until reading this thread.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
On my first day this year, that was at Kirkwood 12/8, as I got on the lift, remembered I did not push any tissues into my coat pocket. Of course skiing in cold weather has a way of making ones sinuses a bit active. But hardly needed any that short 3.5 hour day.

Besides skiing, as a hi tech person that used much complicated test equipment, a long time photographer, and a backpacker, I tend to be excessively methodical approaching complex activities and tasks. Thus the week before had taken all my ski gear out of storage then carefully over days got it right.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"Helmet, gloves, boots, and poles" is the first line of the song I sing to myself to remember stuff I've left behind before.
In my head I hear:

Hel-met, glo-oves, boots and poles
Boots and poles
Boots and poles
Hel-met, glo-oves, boots and poles
Time to go ski-ing

(To the tune of London Bridge)

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Funny topic!
Not this season, but a couple of seasons ago I forgot my ski pass. Luckily the liftee was nice enough to let me on the lift to go back and get it LOL!

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first day was Breck's opening day Fri 11/8. I had my 9yo and 10yo boys with me. We parked in the north gondola lot. We started getting our gear on in the gondola like usual and my 10yo can't find his gloves. I pack their gloves, gaiters and goggles in their helmets so knew they were with us in the car. I got off at the 1st gondola unloading station and take the gondola back down while my boys stay on and go all the way up. His gloves dropped out of his helmet while walking in the parking lot. Someone kindly put them on one of the fence posts so they were easy to find.

I skied with my new Liberty V76 skis and forgot to stay on groomed only terrain. Towards the end of the day Crescendo was opened up, the lure of fresh snow was too great and got a small scratch in one of my bases. I keep telling myself that skis are meant to be skied but it still hurts my soul a little.

Sponsor

Staff online