• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Looking for an all-mountain West ski (85-95mm waist) that has a shape the same as the Scott Crusade. The key aspect of the Scott Crusade shape/sidecut is that the widest portions of the ski are in contact with the snow surface when the ski is flat. The widest point of the tip is not further up the tip. Also, the sidecut has a tighter radius with the widest points occurring closer to the midpoint of the ski. They look like this:
scott-crusade-skis-2014-159-detail%201.jpg
11058_pic1c.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think there are some Liberty VMTs that look like that shape.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Hard to say exactly from just looking since most manufacturers suck at posting actual rocker photos which seems to be important in this case. For instance the Sego Cleaver 88 has the right shape, but I'd wager the rocker puts the widest point not in contact: https://segoskis.com/collections/18-19-ski-lineup/products/cleaver-88

The Meier quickdraw looks close:

QD_product_crop_2048x.jpg

Or the Romp Skis 86:

80.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I use to own those Crusades.

buy some E93 a size up. from the Crusades. My E93 feel like full cambered 175 skis on packed snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just to be clear, you want a ski that the sidecut starts and stops at the contact points when laid flat?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you're being specific, why not just have Wagner build you what you want ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Get an older storm rider?
IMG_2105.JPG

I think that's 2013-15?

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just to be clear, you want a ski that the sidecut starts and stops at the contact points when laid flat?

Yes. It's more about the sidecut shape that I'm concerned about and not the rocker profile. I'm interested in skis with a tighter turn radius (<18.0m at 175cm-180cm) that don't have a hooky tip design. What Scott did with the Crusade is interesting and not common. They really pushed that widest point of the tip down the ski. Unfortunately they no longer have anything like it in their lineup.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Get an older storm rider?
View attachment 63479
I think that's 2013-15?

Yep, already have that exact ski (2015 model). ;)

The Crusade fits a very specific purpose in my quiver. It's a crud-buster ski that is absolutely as anti-hook as any ski I've ever ridden. So if I can't get out until 3 or 4 days after a good storm, it gets the call.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ebay saved search should eventually turn up the same ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah but what profile do you want to the tip? Long curve, short curve?

What you're talking about was kind of the Kastle Fx95 that came out several years ago. Except you want more sidecut.

Rossi Experience 88,94?
Fischer pro mountains?

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Yeah but what profile do you want to the tip? Long curve, short curve?

What you're talking about was kind of the Kastle Fx95 that came out several years ago. Except you want more sidecut.

Rossi Experience 88,94?
Fischer pro mountains?

I think the Rossi's and the Fischer's get wider as the tip turns up off the snow.

As I think about it, maybe what I want is something like a narrow'ish 5-point sidecut ski. DPS has that kind of going on with the Wailer 99. Who builds a 90-95mm waist 5-point ski?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Line Chronic looks quite close. Reminds me that maybe the new DPS Cassiar 94 would be a great replacement.
I was looking at a DPS94 this morning and thought of this thread. All the Foundation Cassiars (82, 87, 94) are pretty close to this, though the rise starts a bit before where the tip curve starts. The widest point on the tip is pretty close to where it touches though.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The thing about DPS that I'm not loving is how they're now changing the shape of their models when they have a different construction layup. They used to keep everything the same, but have different materials, etc. So if I want the Cassiar 94 with the shape I like, then I have to go Alchemist. For a "crud buster" I like a heavier damper ski. I skied the Alchemist Cassiar 94 and was surprised at how much better it feels than the old Pure layups, but it's still not considered highly damp (at least not to me).

Alchemist:
ac94.jpg

Foundation:

FoundationCassiar94-1.png

Last edited:

Sponsor