• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What counts as a day of skiing (backcountry/AT)?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique if you're looking at a different AT boot look at the Backland from Atomic. If you're in a 90 flex alpine boot and happy it should be plenty. Also the Lange XT has a pretty bitchen heal pocket if I recall. @Philpug weigh in?
I work, resort ski and skin all in one pair of alpine boots. They fit just about as just right as any boot ever will, and they ski better than any AT boot out there. Having a hike mode helps a ton, but at the end of the day its all about how they fit and ski.

Nice pic btw!

Thanks!

I'm not sure yet if I'm looking for a new AT boot. I will sort of keep your recommendation in mind, but my foot is really hard to fit, so I'm very very cautious about considering anything recommended by someone who hasn't had to deal with my feet. What do you mean by "bitchin' heel pocket"? Nice and tight? I have serious sixth toe pain issues and have already had a nerve removed due to morton's neuroma, so when my feet hurt along that outside edge or under the ball of my foot, I start freaking out. I get these crazy sensations like there's water trickling under my foot, even though there isn't. Creepy. I'm happy because when I started describing my issues with my fitter, he asked if I also felt like there was "something under my foot," which is exactly what I start feeling, like there's a piece of material under my foot. So I knew he was on the right track.

I hear what you're saying about fit and skiing. The Domina is a freeride boot that's supposed to be pretty burly, but it's definitely still soft compared to any alpine boot I've tried. I would like to eventually have a boot that supports more than the - argh, I forget the terms - well, I want to be able to click into Dynafits if I wanted to do that, not just the Fritschis I have now.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Bouncewhoosh, why don't you get one of those "crossover" boots so you then use the same boot for resort and backcountry skiing?

Example: I use a Tecnica Cochise Pro 130 and since I only do resort hiking, I ordered the boot with a DIN sole plate. But a soft AT lug sole is also available. The boot is light weight and has a walking mode. There are of course other boot makers offering similar models.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Bouncewhoosh, why don't you get one of those "crossover" boots so you then use the same boot for resort and backcountry skiing?

Example: I use a Tecnica Cochise Pro 130 and since I only do resort hiking, I ordered the boot with a DIN sole plate. But a soft AT lug sole is also available. The boot is light weight and has a walking mode. There are of course other boot makers offering similar models.

Never really considered it or thought it was an option. Do they make similar for women? Or similar that also have tech interfaces? ... I'm finally pretty happy with my Tecnicas for resort skiing and don't really want to mess with what works. Obviously a single pair of boots would be nice, if they really do bridge the gap effectively. I could potentially get something like that as my AT boot and then transition it to my everything boot as the Tecnica gets old. Even with variations among flex ratings, I'm sure 130 is way beyond what I want. I also don't know if having a walk mode is entirely the same as what's going on for skinning in a full-on AT boot ... so much that I don't know. I wonder if having AT soles makes the binding interface less reliable, so that you'd want to switch to the flat sole when skiing full alpine bindings.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Never really considered it or thought it was an option. Do they make similar for women? Or similar that also have tech interfaces? ... I'm finally pretty happy with my Tecnicas for resort skiing and don't really want to mess with what works. Obviously a single pair of boots would be nice, if they really do bridge the gap effectively. I could potentially get something like that as my AT boot and then transition it to my everything boot as the Tecnica gets old. Even with variations among flex ratings, I'm sure 130 is way beyond what I want. I also don't know if having a walk mode is entirely the same as what's going on for skinning in a full-on AT boot ... so much that I don't know. I wonder if having AT soles makes the binding interface less reliable, so that you'd want to switch to the flat sole when skiing full alpine bindings.

Yes, the idea is to use the DIN sole for inbounds skiing (skis) and the lug sole for the backcountry. As to "crossover" boots for women, I don't know which manufacturer or model, but I'm sure your boot fitter knows.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...I also don't know if having a walk mode is entirely the same as what's going on for skinning in a full-on AT boot ...
You want a walk mode for skinning.

so much that I don't know. I wonder if having AT soles makes the binding interface less reliable, so that you'd want to switch to the flat sole when skiing full alpine bindings.
Yes, AT soles are generally incompatible with regular alpine bindings, with a few exceptions. The thickness, rocker, and lack of a plastic plate under the ball of the foot make AT soles outside of the DIN specs of regular alpine bindings. There are some alpine bindings that (like the Marker Lord) that will accept and work with AT soles, and there are some DIN soles with higher-traction soles.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You want a walk mode for skinning.

Yes. I meant, I wonder if there's something *beyond* walk mode that AT boots provide. I remember having boots with a walk mode back in my intermediate days that were just for comfort. I don't know if it's the same sort of technology, or if the AT boots have differences beyond that. And of course beyond the fact that it's 15 years later.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd highly recommend trying on some modern AT boots. They've changed a lot since about '11 when the tlt5 came out. There are more choices, but they all tend to both tour and ski noticeably better.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'd highly recommend trying on some modern AT boots. They've changed a lot since about '11 when the tlt5 came out. There are more choices, but they all tend to both tour and ski noticeably better.

Mine can't be more than three years old. Looks like this:
BLU.jpg

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
It's a newish boot, but not a modern design, if that makes any sense. When you get a chance, try on a scarpa maestrale or dynafit mercury, etc (or the female versions).

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's a newish boot, but not a modern design, if that makes any sense. When you get a chance, try on a scarpa maestrale or dynafit mercury, etc (or the female versions).
That makes sense. Thanks. Again it is hard to justify spending upwards of $700 on a new boot when I have maybe 10-15 on this one. If I can get this one to work, I'll wear it out and then feel fully justified in getting a modern boot. If I can't wear the Domina without pain, even after a concerted fitting effort, I'll also feel fully justified (though cranky). But I really need to focus on fitting - not wear it, then forget about it till the next time I need it a few months later.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Looks like the women's equivalent is the Gea. Both men's and women's have the choice between regular and RS, which is burlier I guess. But again - the first issue is the fit, not the functionality. Functionality is useless if your feet hurt all day and you don't even want to get after it.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
For sure, if you can punch the boot to male it work, you should. With the huge rise in touring popularity in the states in the last few years though, boot manufacturers are making more "American foot" boots (wider lasts), so if you can't make the dom work, something else might. Also if you end up touring regularly, you'll want tech bindings.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For sure, if you can punch the boot to male it work, you should. With the huge rise in touring popularity in the states in the last few years though, boot manufacturers are making more "American foot" boots (wider lasts), so if you can't make the dom work, something else might. Also if you end up touring regularly, you'll want tech bindings.

Yeah. At the time I was looking for an AT boot, it was late season, and this was the only boot available at the shop that "fit" (for some values of fit) - and it didn't have tech. I'm not sure if I really want tech bindings at some point, but I do want a boot eventually that can do both.

I *think* (don't quote me) based on the pictures that the boot the fitter showed me as a possible improvement was a Gea RS. He said it was available with a stiffer or a softer tongue, by which he probably meant Gea vs Gea RS. Not swappable, so I'd have to choose one or the other. But - both look like they have sort of an aggressive forward lean for a modern boot, which I do not want. My quads get sore enough without help in that department.

Really curious to see what the punches will do for me this coming weekend.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
I think the lean is adjustable, probably like 15 and 20 degree option. I know zero people who use the higher angle, but it makes for a hilarious prank in the hut to switch it on somebody.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I have the Gea and for my feet these are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I don't have the RS, although in hindsight I might have liked them for the added stiffness on the downhill. Our feet have some of the same issues, but not all, so they may or may not work for you but they are worth trying (Kurt has the Maestrales and he also loves them- they are a gooood boot).

They do not have swappable soles, fyi.

Edited to say that yes, you can change the forward lean. I do not notice an issue with forward lean in the least aggressive mode. I tried them at the more aggressive setting and they were miserable to ski in for me.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have the Gea and for my feet these are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I don't have the RS, although in hindsight I might have liked them for the added stiffness on the downhill. Our feet have some of the same issues, but not all, so they may or may not work for you but they are worth trying (Kurt has the Maestrales and he also loves them- they are a gooood boot).

They do not have swappable soles, fyi.

Edited to say that yes, you can change the forward lean. I do not notice an issue with forward lean in the least aggressive mode. I tried them at the more aggressive setting and they were miserable to ski in for me.

Thanks for the info. I think I counted at least three times this weekend that you waxed poetic about how comfortable your boots were and how you wished you could wear them all the time - not to mention that you happily wore them on the drive up - so I will definitely take this into consideration. Although of course one person's perfect boot is another person's nightmare.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
If they had the swappable soles they would be my only pair of boots. Alas. Maybe I'll just mount dynafits on my downhill skis.... ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Are we now discussing rockered boots for rockered skis?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You are all terrible people. I am currently at the shop checking out the Geas.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid