• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What conditions do you use your Kastle MX89s

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I've been on my K2 Pinnacles most of the season given how much snow we've had. I like how easy and forgiving they are.

But as conditions firmed this spring, I've been using my Kastle MX89s for the edge hold and that incredible smooth ride. Today has been a much better than expected pow day, and I forgot how much fun the MX89s are in pow even in the 8-12 inches I've encountered today at Brighton's side country. Definitely more work than the Pinnacles in pow, but still fun and so smooth and damp on firm. I'm beginning to rethink conditions when to use my MX89s after today and use them in lighter pow days.

So my question is those that have the MX89 in their quiver, when do you use it? Where's that point that it's limitations (not as much float, more work in big moguls than a lot of skis) outweigh the benefits (speed stability, smooth ride, awesome edge hold).

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been on my K2 Pinnacles most of the season given how much snow we've had. I like how easy and forgiving they are.

But as conditions firmed this spring, I've been using my Kastle MX89s for the edge hold and that incredible smooth ride. Today has been a much better than expected pow day, and I forgot how much fun the MX89s are in pow even in the 8-12 inches I've encountered today at Brighton's side country. Definitely more work than the Pinnacles in pow, but still fun and so smooth and damp on firm. I'm beginning to rethink conditions when to use my MX89s after today and use them in lighter pow days.

So my question is those that have the MX89 in their quiver, when do you use it? Where's that point that it's limitations (not as much float, more work in big moguls than a lot of skis) outweigh the benefits (speed stability, smooth ride, awesome edge hold).
I bought the MX89 last year. Even though I have many skis I find myself grabbing this ski for all mountain conditions. I am 62 5'9" 250lbs. I am expert and mainly just a cruiser now. For me this ski does it all well. I no longer ski the bumps and have not had the chance to try it in powder yet. I agree it is very damp and does not chatter at speed. Does short and long turns well for me. I always feel in control on this ski and really like it.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I have a pair of MX88's from a several years back and they are my primary skis so I guess that means I use them for almost everything. I have some Nordica powder skis that I use when there are 6+ inches of fresh and of course they float way higher. The powder skis are great, but they chatter a bit at speed, which make me kind of nervous, especially since the MX88's never do that, no matter how fast I'm going.

But I use my MX88's in bumps, chopped up snow, on ice, groomers, etc... they seem to like wider turns. It takes quite a bit of effort and focus to do more narrow turns and bumps. I think they do those things fine and I've been on these skis so long they just feel like what "normal" is for me.

One of my favorite things about them is how confident I can ski through chopped up, crud conditions. These skis blast through and shove that snow with no problem.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wasatchman, just look around at what the skilled instructors are skiing on...in all conditions. Once in awhile, you'll see them on a day off out on powder skis (this year in particular) but for the most part, they are on skis under 90mm under foot.

So, you're not crazy in discovering that all-mountain skis are a hoot in most conditions, particularly where we live and ski. If you like the MX 89s, then get out there and ski them--don't overthink it! :D