• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi everyone, I would like to ask the community's advice on ski choice. I'm a level 7, perhaps 8 on good days (per the most recent instructors I trusted) 44 yo skier, looking to continue progressing and exploring terrain. I live on the East Coast, but try to take 1-2 trips a year to big mountains. Currently on a pair of Volkl RTM 84s, the 2016 or 17 model (the generation before they introduced the 3D glass business, so very similar to the current models I gather). I absolutely love these skis on hard pack. However, I find myself wanting more in a couple of different aspects: some versatility, with ability to get a bit off piste in some fresh snow (they didn't float in deep powder in the Alps, for example), and in moguls (also not a strength for this ski); and, if possible, a more relaxed ski, if that makes sense - this performs beautifully, but I always feel like I have to work hard and push fast. I'm not a heavy guy, 5'10 and about 160-165 lbs. In an ideal world, I would want all that without sacrificing the superb carving turns and edge hold that this ski allows. I know no ski can do everything, but let's say I would want something that compromises minimally if needed on the hard pack performance to allow some playfulness and versatility.
Does that ski exist? I have received varied advice from shops, coaches, and did my own online research. Some models that came up are the Salomon XDR 88, Head V Shape V10, Head Kore 93, Rossignol Exp 88 HD Ti. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. I should say that I am looking to stay with a one ski quiver approach, which is why I am looking at this type of "all mountain front" or "frontside with versatility" model.
Thank you.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I bought a pair of the same RTM 84's to fill the hard snow needs.

My driver at home in the PNW, is the Nordica Enforcer 100. Would recommend you look into the Enforcer 93 also. The Enforcer series has made its mark as a good all around ski that is a bit more soft snow oriented. Even the 100 will handle firm snow fairly well though. In addition they are a lot more playful than the RTM's.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Id avoid the XDR 88, they arent good to progress in the bumps, too torsinally stiff and too much sidecut.

EXP 88ti is kind of meh on packed snow.

Id look at the new Brahma or the upcoming Enforcer 88. At your weight probably the Enforcer would be better.

TS
rocdoc

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks folks. I looked at the Brahma too, but seems to be even more ski than the RTM, and perhaps not the best match for a less aggressive and lighter skier. The upcoming Enforcer does look great! I may try to demo the 93 too.
What about the K2 Pinnacle 88? Seems decent and there are some great deals on last year’s model.
BTW, do skis like the Enforcer 93 or the Pinnacle ski short? It seems I would need to look at 177 or so. Or should I try in the 170 range? My RTMs are 167, down sized on purpose, but I should probably go longer.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Enforcers ski short IMHO. I have the Enforcer 100 at 185 after demo'ing at 177.

Sponsor