• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What charger skis should I get?

Dudeabides

Booting up
Skier
I got a pair of Line Supernaturals 108 186 brand new for 300 bucks shipped last year. Seems like what you are after.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
In my mind a "Charger" is a ski designed to go over all terrain at speeds of more than 45 miles per hour with a very high speed limit, and specialized at making the type of turns possible at those speeds. Perhaps what you really want is not a "charger", but a ski designed to make short speed-controlling turns in steep terrain?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wondering too what style of turns you’re trying to do as the Monster/charger skis are for going fast with longer, GS style turns.

Before doing binding mounting changes, I’d be checking the tune to make sure the edges aren’t railed in sections and that base edge levels are even. The tune may be making things harder than they should be. Take a gummy stone out after to do some on hill tweaks if needed.

That being said, you do need a forward stance on those skis at all times and it sounds like you’re doing a better job of that on flatter terrain. Was common to move that mount forward a cm or two so it’s more forgiving of stance. The 2017 Monster 108 mount is about 1.75cm back from the Cochise mount and that’s because Head moved it up a cm from the year before.
A mount isn’t going to transform them but would make them a BIT more easy going.

TS
T

ToyBox

Booting up
Skier
I dunno, I was under the impression cochise was a charger which I quite like, but i could be wrong.

I really get the impression though that the recommended mount point is too far back. Compared to the cochise they are 1 or more 2 cm back, which is alot considering the lack of rocker on the monsters.

I also saw on the blister review for the version 1 year later than mine that the recommended mount point was moved up a bit.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So the only complaint about the Cochises was the durability?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heads mount points are very far back on the monster line of skis, but I wouldn't remount unless your sure you want to keep them.

Honestly you should have got another Cochise and hope for more snow this winter.

Eta: my avatar was on monster 98s catching a rope drop late last season in mt ogden bowl after a nice storm cycle. They float well enough for being a bit narrow and stiff. But purpose of skis like this isnt how they ski in good snow, its how the do in crud. If the 108 isnt floating your boat, its the wrong ski.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Have got 5 days on the monster 108s so far.

First observation is recommended mount point is far back. This leaves a fair bit of tips to drive which is not particularly easy since there is not much rocker.

There is really not enough rocker imo for even 6 inches of soft snow.

They do ski well on modest grades, but are too tough to drive in steep chop.

Overall, not impressed, prefer the cochise by a wide margin.

I may try and have them remounted 1cm forward and see if that improves things.

get stiffer boots.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Just guessing, but it could be the the 108s not having as much rocker as the Cochise that's causing your grief.

It's easier to over-rule what the tips want to do with the Cochise than make the tips want to do your bidding with the 108s. Stiffer boots help, but so does knowing what to do from experience on full cambered skis; skiing with tips engaged requires a different approach. You can't fight the tips, you have to give them subtle input and let them follow your lead and then go with them. With more rocker, they (the tips) are not really engaged when the ski is not on a big angle and you don't need to be on top of them. You just can't do the things you can do with rocker when there's no rocker there, unless you have a lot of brute force to use - using brute force is not recommended.

You got spoiled by the Cochise.

Moving the mount forward would not be my solution.

Of course I could be totally wrong; it's just a guess.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Cochise is a “forgiving charger” the Monster 108 is another step up on the charger scale. Similar weight and turning radius but the monster is stiffer.

Check the tune and then fine tune on the hill with a gummy and if you’re still not in love, move the binding up 1 to 2cm to be more in line with what you’re used to.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the first generation Cochise and the Supernatural in 100.
Before they added carbon and camber to make the ski more 'accessible' (code for easier) the original Cochise had 2 1/2 sheets of metal and, most importantly, zero camber. Stiff, solid skis that can motor through just about anything at decent speed but also stop, turn and slarve because of the zero camber. Tip'em and rip'em or flatten and pivot. I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs and have about 100 days on the skis. Perhaps the newer iterations are less durable due to carbon but mine are still going strong.

I can't speak for the Supernatural 108 but the 100 works very well for me. Not a stiff,pure charger, it is a fairly stiff ski that relies more on construction to provide a damp, smooth ride through all kinds of snow, crud, etc. It is not a 'crisp' ski like the Bonafide but will do exactly what you want in an understated sort of way. I hope that makes sense.

I would definitely go for the Supernatural 108 if my Cochise ever gave up the ghost. However I think I will end up packing it in before they do.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw a person on Teton asking about Monster 98 mounts and wondering if they could mount them a touch forward. Here is the response one poster gave.

“No experience on 98 monsters. But I have 108s mounted +2. And old 103s mounted +3. IME recommended mounting point from head is very traditional. I'd go at least +1.”

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw a person on Teton asking about Monster 98 mounts and wondering if they could mount them a touch forward. Here is the response one poster gave.

“No experience on 98 monsters. But I have 108s mounted +2. And old 103s mounted +3. IME recommended mounting point from head is very traditional. I'd go at least +1.”

Fwiw, my monster 98 is mounted +3.5. They ski great.

TS
T

ToyBox

Booting up
Skier
Update.....

After thinking hard bout it for a couple weeks, I had them remounted at plus 2.0. They are now mounted about same as my blizzard cochise.

They ski great now. No more problems driving the tips on the steeps, just comfortably hauling ass. Hard to believe but it really made all the difference for me.

I just think they did not pick a good recommended mount point. But I am quite happy now.

Attachments

• 20181224_121908.jpg
    20181224_121908.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 17

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Update.....

After thinking hard bout it for a couple weeks, I had them remounted at plus 2.0. They are now mounted about same as my blizzard cochise.

They ski great now. No more problems driving the tips on the steeps, just comfortably hauling ass. Hard to believe but it really made all the difference for me.

I just think they did not pick a good recommended mount point. But I am quite happy now.

Awesome! Glad you found your happy place on those skis. Happy charging!!

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update.....

glad it worked out!