• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What charger skis should I get?

ToyBox

Booting up
Skier
Last year I was on a set of current gen Blizzard Cochise in a 185 (at 6 foot even and 160 lbs). Very happy with them except didnt find them especially durable and after 70 days and a bunch of tunes and ptex they are pretty toasted at this point.

So I am looking for another 105-110 waist, stiff, heavy ski with metal inserts for the coming season. The invictus looks the most promising to me but they dont have a ski between the 178 and 188 size and I worried the 188s would be a touch long.

What do you guys recommend for me?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Last year I was on a set of current gen Blizzard Cochise in a 185 (at 6 foot even and 160 lbs). Very happy with them except didnt find them especially durable and after 70 days and a bunch of tunes and ptex they are pretty toasted at this point.

So I am looking for another 105-110 waist, stiff, heavy ski with metal inserts for the coming season. The invictus looks the most promising to me but they dont have a ski between the 178 and 188 size and I worried the 188s would be a touch long.

What do you guys recommend for me?

Where do you ski that you destroyed a pair of Cochise? :eek::eek::eek:

I have demoed a bunch of skis in that waist width range. Lots of good chargers in that range but it depends on what you want.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
yeah 188 is not long especially at 6' tall. That's women's GS ski length and whatever you got would feel shorter with rocker. It's only a 3cm difference from what you currently have you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
188 cm is not long for a Charger.

yeah 188 is not long especially at 6' tall. That's women's GS ski length and whatever you got would feel shorter with rocker. It's only a 3cm difference from what you currently have you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Remember, he is only 160lb too.

Some other options..
Nordica Enforcer Pro
Blizzard Bodacious (first gen reintro)
Dynastar PR

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Remember, he is only 160lb too.

Some other options..
Blizzard Bodacious (first gen reintro)

I agree the black Bodacious at 186 will be chargier than the Cochise at 185. The 196 Bods will be really fast. Rustler 11 in the big size is a different ski than the 188 and below as well....Maybe a bit long.

......I don't know if it solves the durability issue. My blizzards seem to hold up to the Canadian Rockies (they don't call them the snowies!) though, so I didn't think durability was a major concern with the brand.

ON3P has a strong rep for durable skis. Have you considered the 108 or 114 Wren at 184 or 189? No metal in 'em, but they're stiff(ish) and heavy.

The Head Monster 108s look like rocket ships....

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Add the Black Crows Corvus to your list. 2018 & 2019 are different, both are well liked. And +1 to the ON3P rec, even though there's no metal, they're still strong and well liked by the Cochise/Corvus/Line SN108 crowd. Just keep in mind they measure after they press the ski, so they ski long. When I demoed their 171 Kartels, it handled a lot more like the 174 Solly QST or the 175 Backlands.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Still 2017 and 2018 Monster 108 available online at great prices new. Kinda one dimensional compared to some other “charger” skis as they don’t really float great for their width but nothing I’ve skied that destroys bumpy terrain/crud as easily above 60mph as the 184cm monster 108. So much fun at speed!

Even the 177cm length hauls and they made a 191cm version which I can only imagine how stable it must be.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Still 2017 and 2018 Monster 108 available online at great prices new. Kinda one dimensional compared to some other “charger” skis as they don’t really float great for their width but nothing I’ve skied that destroys bumpy terrain/crud as easily above 60mph as the 184cm monster 108. So much fun at speed!

Even the 177cm length hauls and they made a 191cm version which I can only imagine how stable it must be.

I wish I could have demoed that ski but Head did not have it in their demo tent last season. All the hoopla was with the new kore series. They did have a lonely Monster 98 in 177 so I took it out and wow. Fantastic ski, loved it.

TS
T

ToyBox

Booting up
Skier
Ordered up the Head Monster 108s in the 184 from 2016 season that were dirt cheap on fleabay. It was that or the invictus 108 in 188 which looks good also. Heck, maybe I will get those too. Thought about the Wren 108s, but those are full price and dont have metal which I am really partial too now. Body cant take the bumps anymore, all thats left is to go fast.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ordered up the Head Monster 108s in the 184 from 2016 season that were dirt cheap on fleabay. It was that or the invictus 108 in 188 which looks good also. Heck, maybe I will get those too. Thought about the Wren 108s, but those are full price and dont have metal which I am really partial too now. Body cant take the bumps anymore, all thats left is to go fast.

You’ll love them and you bought from a great place. Those were the ones I saw at Corbetts/Asogear. Saw they had lots of 98 and 108 models left paired with the fantastic Attack binding.

Have fun charging!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Looking forward to your review! I never got to demo a pair.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Candide, is that you?

Lol! I wish!!!

No, I ski rough or beat up terrain at faster than most people because I have skis built for that. Candide double flips over a hill crest to go through a full sized mogul field at 70 mph. He’s on ANOTHER level!

TS
T

ToyBox

Booting up
Skier
Have got 5 days on the monster 108s so far.

First observation is recommended mount point is far back. This leaves a fair bit of tips to drive which is not particularly easy since there is not much rocker.

There is really not enough rocker imo for even 6 inches of soft snow.

They do ski well on modest grades, but are too tough to drive in steep chop.

Overall, not impressed, prefer the cochise by a wide margin.

I may try and have them remounted 1cm forward and see if that improves things.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Have got 5 days on the monster 108s so far.

First observation is recommended mount point is far back. This leaves a fair bit of tips to drive which is not particularly easy since there is not much rocker.

There is really not enough rocker imo for even 6 inches of soft snow.

They do ski well on modest grades, but are too tough to drive in steep chop.

Overall, not impressed, prefer the cochise by a wide margin.

I may try and have them remounted 1cm forward and see if that improves things.

The Monster 108 is indeed a monster. Most everyone who has reviewed it has said so. I dont think the mount is going to change much if anything. I wouldnt put more holes in them.

The 108 is not a powder ski or an all mountain ski (like the Cochise), its for going extremely fast in steep / consequential alpine terrain in variable snow conditions (firm and refrozen etc). No speed limit. Its not very versatile, well, maybe a true expert can dominate it everywhere but its a big and very heavy ski as you know.

I think you got the wrong skis for you.

Sponsor

Staff online