• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted something adjustable, and was thinking of a Tyrolia PRD12 in order to give some fore/aft play, and for boot length adjustability. I just heard back from local ski shop, and because its going on a rail for a flat ski, highly unusual, etc, etc., they tell me I have to buy the jig as well, distributor doesn't have them, special order , $200 please.
Should I just go with the Attack 13 demo? Any other thoughts?

Reactions: Ron

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted something adjustable, and was thinking of a Tyrolia PRD12 in order to give some fore/aft play, and for boot length adjustability. I just heard back from local ski shop, and because its going on a rail for a flat ski, highly unusual, etc, etc., they tell me I have to buy the jig as well, distributor doesn't have them, special order , $200 please.
Should I just go with the Attack 13 demo? Any other thoughts?
I've found the Attack Demos to be really solid. They're easy to move, easy in and out. I don't think I'm at the point where I would notice the difference between the demos and non-demos so I can't rightly compare. I have skied the VMTs and they are a fine ski.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. I just heard back from local ski shop, and because its going on a rail for a flat ski, highly unusual, etc, etc., they tell me I have to buy the jig as well, distributor doesn't have them, special order , $200 please.

Wow, really?

I'm surprised they didn't tell you they need special drill bits (at your cost!) when you brought the Tantals in.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've found the Attack Demos to be really solid. They're easy to move, easy in and out. I don't think I'm at the point where I would notice the difference between the demos and non-demos so I can't rightly compare. I have skied the VMTs and they are a fine ski.
I have the attack 13 demos on several other pairs of skis, and yes they are great. I am thinking for the V76's that they may be a bit wide. The toe pieces especially. I was really looking for a narrower, adjustable option

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, really?

I'm surprised they didn't tell you they need special drill bits (at your cost!) when you brought the Tantals in.

Store is under new management. Longstanding relationship with previous store manager now gone..:(

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have the attack 13 demos on several other pairs of skis, and yes they are great. I am thinking for the V76's that they may be a bit wide. The toe pieces especially. I was really looking for a narrower, adjustable option

I had attack 13s on my Stockli Laser AXs. Ski Essentials found me a 78mm brake. They worked great.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, that kinda bites. Out of curiosity, did they have an alternative suggestion (other than the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAtacks?)

No. That's why I'm asking here. There must be other adjustable bindings for narrower skis. @Philpug , I'm looking to you for advice....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ask the shop what they normally put on race skis that goes out their door..

Reactions: Ron

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some do and some don't.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a rail system, so you could mount them yourself if you are good with measurements and finding ski center line.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another question you can ask them is what do they put on their narrow demo skis. They must demo some narrow skis, rights?

If you are not happy with their answers, perhaps it's time for a new shop.

TBH, you are only looking for a 12 DIN demo binding. There should be many alternatives. For the shop not to provide you with an alternative is unforgivable from a customer service stand point.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Ask the shop what they normally put on race skis that goes out their door..

Most likely they put plates on. Not really going to give the same ease of adjustability as a demo binding. Or don't deal with race skis at all.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not sure why the need for adjustment fore and aft is a priority. These ski fine on the line and would not worry about where the mount is. If you must have a demo, The Salomon Warden Demo and the Attack Demo are the two common ones but the new Marker FDT TPX 12 is another option but I am sure you are going to run into the same situation you did with the Head demo, a shop that carries it AND has a jig to mount it. Personally, I would slap on a Pivot 12 with a 75mm brake and call it good.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most likely they put plates on. Not really going to give the same ease of adjustability as a demo binding. Or don't deal with race skis at all.

You are correct about the plate. All my narrow skis are plated. They are mainly used for carving and hard snow after all.
The Atomic X16 & X19 bindings I usually use also have fore and aft adjustments over a 35 mm range with the flip of a lever.

The OP is in the eastern part of the great white north. If the shop doesn't do race ski, I would run, not walk, out of there fast.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure why the need for adjustment fore and aft is a priority. These ski fine on the line and would not worry about where the mount is. If you must have a demo, The Salomon Warden Demo and the Attack Demo are the two common ones but the new Marker FDT TPX 12 is another option but I am sure you are going to run into the same situation you did with the Head demo, a shop that carries it AND has a jig to mount it. Personally, I would slap on a Pivot 12 with a 75mm brake and call it good.
If you think they ski well enough on the line, that's good enough for me. Thanks

Sponsor