• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What binding and plate to mount on Volkl Racetiger SL R FIS 2017 ???

• Option 1 - Marker Riser Race Plates 10mm, Marker 2020 Race Xcell 24

• Option 2 - Fischer Riser Race Split Plates 14mm, Look 2020 SPX 15 Rockerace

• Option 3 - Fischer Riser Race Split Plates 14mm, Look 2020 Pivot 18 75mm

• Option 3 - Rossignol Riser Race Plates 15mm, Look 2020 Pivot 18 75mm

Results are only viewable after voting.

hardtobeagod

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’ve acquired an (2016-2017) FIS approved full camber 157mm length 65mm width (116_65.5_100) Volkl Racetiger SL R with UVO, plates and bindings undrilled! The skis have been previously used and pictures are attached, try to guess the price I paid because to remount them I expect to be spending even more.

The goal of this ski is not for racing, although I’d like to be able to take it down the racetrack. I am refitting this ski for free ski carving on frontside Ice/scraped hardpack/race conditions when I visit the East Coast.

Currently here are the plate and binding options that are available to me and I have been looking at. These are my own personal recommendations to myself after several day of researching the newest gear. Please feel free to recommend an option I have not posted below with the prices for each gear and picture links for all plates since there doesn’t seem to be many plate pictures available on the Internets to check for compatibility. Prices in brackets means variable to change i.e. sale markdown, it is the lowest prices I’ve found. I am looking for performance over affordability because I know prices could drop and gear then becomes affordable most times.

Pictures of the skis - Volkl RaceTiger Speedwall SL R UVO 157mm 2017 - https://imgur.com/a/H17WbUh

Option 1-

Marker 2020 Race Xcell 24 Ski Bindings one size 85mm - [$342.95]

Marker Riser Race Plates 10mm - $37.32 - https://imgur.com/a/qQOQZbe

I’m looking at this marker binding and plate pair because it comes recommended by the Volkl workbook for mounting this ski, also it‘ll match the UVO in colour and branding. I think it’s the piston plate this ski came with or a newer model variation which will fit xcell bindings, maybe someone can tell based on the hole pattern that has been plugged. Also, can you drill a plate into plugged holes if it fits exactly?

Option 2 -

Look 2020 SPX 15 Rockerace Ski Bindings one size <80mm - [$239.99]

Fischer Riser Race Split Plates 14mm - $37.32 - https://imgur.com/a/AWIKCvm

I chose this as an option just because I was looking at the pivots and was thinking that LOOK must also make race bindings so why not consider going with this race instead. I don’t currently know how to get my hands on LOOK R22 WC Race Plates for SPX so I’m looking at Fischer split plates with no predrilled holes instead because they are more readily available. I heard this split plate will really soften up the middle of the ski (not sure if that’s because it is a split plate or because it is 14mm in thickness).

Option 3 -

Look 2020 Pivot 18 Ski Bindings 75mm - [$299.96]

Fischer Riser Race Split Plates 14mm - $37.32 - https://imgur.com/a/AWIKCvm

or

Rossignol Riser Race Plates 15mm - $39.99 - https://imgur.com/a/Vgl8mMJ

So my favourite option is the pivots because they were originally race bindings so were built to fit the FIS rules and nothing more. Not sure how pivots will perform on ice and carving conditions because I do not recall ever skiing pivots before, maybe someone has and can explain. The forza colourway is really something else for the 2020 model so that is a plus, not to mention the binding being 75mm while the other options are over 80mm. These are said to have the greater elasticity so a lowered din, possibly the minimum setting would be in order. I am either going to mount these on the Fischer split plates (same as in Option 2) or Rossignol Riser Race Plates which were used previously on old 9s wc slaloms which were 64mm underfoot and mounted with FKS 12’s 75mm bindings.

A side question to ponder, what is the difference between a 10mm, 14mm, and 15mm thickness race plate performance and style wise? What does a higher rise enable and do on a race ski?

~SIDE NOTE

I am missing/lost a screw on one of the UVO pieces, can someone please check if they have an extra or know how to acquire the screw replacement for this missing screw or even the exact screw specs. I would greatly appreciate this.

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
My guess on what you paid-- beer? <$100?

Hard to sell race skis stripped down like that.

As far a plates, people like the piston plate that comes on them. You can buy a unused paid for <400 with that plate already installed. The Marker xcell bindings fit on the plate.

Be sure to get them ground, base bevels set, sidewalls pulled, etc by a good shop that does a lot of race skis. Usually around $120 to do a prep around here.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Marker Race X Cell 24! What is the minimum din on these puppies? Could you set them low enough?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
24 starts at 10 or 12 (haven’t had Markers since way, way, way back). If that is to high, go with the 16 or 18 xcell.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
24 starts at 10 or 12 (haven’t had Markers since way, way, way back). If that is to high, go with the 16 or 18 xcell.
But...they go to 24 !!!
Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t waste any more time thinking about it. That ski has already been drilled for the piston plate which it is designed around. If you are getting a piston plate for $37 grab it and run. The later 10 mm plate will take either the excel or the older comp binding. The 14 mm and some 10s only takes the old binding. I would think twice about using the 24 tho on a slalom ogsmile . Assuming you can run a higher din look for an Xcel 18 or a comp 20. The 16xcel and comp are less robust and reliable

Last edited: