• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What bikes should I be looking at?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are there any issues with buying a used carbon fiber frame?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I’m looking at used sites to see if there are options to make my make money go further. This bike looks like it was $3500+ when it was new. Thoughts on this at $1000?

Jump on it. My buddies with this bike rave about them.
Yes, more than 5K new. I'm with @scott43 that carbon crack is unlikely, but also inspect the frame closely. Beside visual inspection, run your hands/fingers over the carbon.
At this price, if the gears need to be replaced, it's still a no brainer.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I’m looking at used sites to see if there are options to make my make money go further. This bike looks like it was $3500+ when it was new. Thoughts on this at $1000?

Looks like a great deal. As others have said, almost too good to be true. But you never know what the motivation for selling is, it might not be questionable at all. He might have gotten a killer deal when he bought it and wants to pay it forward, or he might have been laid off recently and just wants it gone...you never know. Of course there is a possibility it's stolen or busted. Personally I'd say reach out, feel out the situation, if you don't feel good about it be ready to bail.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Looks like a great deal. As others have said, almost too good to be true. But you never know what the motivation for selling is, it might not be questionable at all. He might have gotten a killer deal when he bought it and wants to pay it forward, or he might have been laid off recently and just wants it gone...you never know. Of course there is a possibility it's stolen or busted. Personally I'd say reach out, feel out the situation, if you don't feel good about it be ready to bail.
May also now be unemployed and needs money for food and rent.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
There is NO WAY anyone is selling a size large Ibis Ripmo for a $1000 that they bought and didn't steal or doesn't have a MAJOR problem. None. Zero. Zilch. If the price was 2.5x higher I might think it was legit, this isn't. (OK, maybe a divorcee who doesn't know what their ex actually paid??? Maybe...)

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He’s gone dark and hasn’t responded. So not sure what happened
Craigslist etiquette: one should take down the posting when sold, change of mind, etc and should reply to enquiries.
Most people don't, or rather, few people do.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here’s the response I got. Clearly a scam. And there is a post on that persons Facebook page saying he got hacked and he wasn’t selling bikes or a John Deere mower for $2000

seems like they are posting $1000 bikes that are worth much more on Craigslist and Facebook.

Hi, my name is Margaret,
My 2016 Santa Cruz Bronson CC Large X01 Eagle, never had or need any paint/body work done, garaged keep always, without any problems, wheels are in great shape as well. The bike it is in excellent condition, it has been very well maintained. I am selling it at this final price of $1000 because my husband died 1 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I, along with my daughter decided to sell the house and so we moved to my sister in Grand Forks, ND trying to start a new life. I want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you're interested in purchasing this bike just email me with your full name, address including the zip code and phone number, so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure. I am waiting for your reply.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi, my name is Margaret,
My 2016 Santa Cruz Bronson CC Large X01 Eagle, never had or need any paint/body work done, garaged keep always, without any problems, wheels are in great shape as well. The bike it is in excellent condition, it has been very well maintained. I am selling it at this final price of $1000 because my husband died 1 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I, along with my daughter decided to sell the house and so we moved to my sister in Grand Forks, ND trying to start a new life. I want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you're interested in purchasing this bike just email me with your full name, address including the zip code and phone number, so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure. I am waiting for your reply.

:roflmao: Probably should just wire them the $1000 for the bike when you're at it...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi, my name is Margaret,

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Why didn't she mention her late husband was also a Nigerian prince, I wonder.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
So update....I ended up buying a 2018 (but still new) Kona Honzo CR. I have been riding it for about 6 weeks now and LOVING it. The trails near my house are really great and more difficult then I thought, in a good way. I haven’t been on a bike seriously in quite a while, but I am amazed at how well this bike climbs. I assume the Carbon frame is helping there somewhat. I really dig the technical climbs, over the downhills as I tend to be more conservative going down.

Biking is certainly a rabbit hole of money spending opportunities. I’m looking at putting a wider front tire on it, and upgrading the brakes as the Level T as fairly basic. Maybe a bigger better fork down the road too

I will look to try out some full suspensions over the year and try to purchase one next year if I can find a good use for it.

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking to get a mountain bike with and spend some of this free time.

I Just taught my 7 year old to ride a bike so I’d like to have something to ride around with her around the neighborhood, and on my own for exercising. There are some good Biking trails by my house also, nothing too crazy but some nice climbs and trails. I would like to have something to grow into if I wanted to start to take some trips on slightly more aggressive terrain.

I’d like to keep it between$1500-$2000

I’m 6’1”, 185lbs and 43 years old.

I’m open to buying used and get a better bike that way.
What are some good brand/model recomendatons? General features to look for? Size?

I'm actually in a similar-ish situation. We just bought a chalet at Mont Saint-Anne, primarily for skiing, but we also plan to spend time there in summer and fall, and hence my son really wants us to get into some mountain/XC biking. He is a fairly avid athlete and like many ski racers sees this as a great x-training opportunity. I used to trail bike a TON when I was a teenager, but am now late 40s so it is a different world. haha Before dropping thousands on a bike, I want to ease into it. I've read this thread and a few others with interest, and it answered most of my questions.

But I just want to ask one pointed question to get feedback and make sure that my thinking was correct:
Given my entry level price point, I am thinking that my money is best spent getting a better quality hard-tail than a full-suspension that is the same price. Correct, or no? I am also looking on kijiji for used bikes that might be a good deal (and actually saw one this morning for a Cannondale hard-tail where the poor guy got divorced and now has to move and is forced to dump his bike!).

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
theres a scam on boston craigslist selling fuel 8 and carbon sworks for $800. Dont waste your time

Sponsor

Staff online