• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What bikes should I be looking at?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

That pedal ^ you would step on and go. The Shimano you need a special show. Truth is, with the others you will want a special shoe. With flat pedals (what you see above) you want a soft rubber shoe that the pins can bite into. You could ride them with whatever, but it's better with a dedicated shoe and you don't want to ruin your other shoes anyway.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks,. Are those just normal pedals I step on a go? Or am I clipping into a special shoe?

You will need special shoes with cleats to clip into these.

May I suggest something more practical:

Pick one of these. You'll be fine.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Lots of recommendations for a HT. And I couldn't agree more. One of my regular training routes is maybe 10% pave, 20% gravel road, 70% non-technical singletrack. On 90% of those days I grab my favorite HT.

In reality, the supply chain is so consolidated that brand will not matter much. Boutque brands really suffer in that environment. Larger brands have the clout to bring you a product that has undergone stricter QA processes. Go to the shop in your town that has the most skilled people, and the best service. If one shop is a revolving door of staff, and one has staff memebers who have been there for decades, your choice will be clear.

Specialized is running a sale right now. A Fuse would be hard to beat for value.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a good build. I have a Norco full suspension and it was the most bike for the money I could find.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you go with flat pedals, I'd recommend Race Face Chesters. Durable and comparatively cheap, with good grip.

Truth is, with the others you will want a special shoe. With flat pedals (what you see above) you want a soft rubber shoe that the pins can bite into. You could ride them with whatever, but it's better with a dedicated shoe and you don't want to ruin your other shoes anyway.
Definitely agree with Erik here. You can ride flats without real MTB shoes, but they work much better with the right kind of sole.

The One Up Composite pedal is another in the same price range that I've read good reviews of and is frequently compared to the Chester. I haven't ridden those though, so I can't speak to them personally.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Lots of recommendations for a HT. And I couldn't agree more. One of my regular training routes is maybe 10% pave, 20% gravel road, 70% non-technical singletrack. On 90% of those days I grab my favorite HT.

In reality, the supply chain is so consolidated that brand will not matter much. Boutque brands really suffer in that environment. Larger brands have the clout to bring you a product that has undergone stricter QA processes. Go to the shop in your town that has the most skilled people, and the best service. If one shop is a revolving door of staff, and one has staff memebers who have been there for decades, your choice will be clear.

Specialized is running a sale right now. A Fuse would be hard to beat for value.

What’s an HT?

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Tell me about 29 vs 27.5? I see the Specilaized Fuse only comes in 27.5?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
What’s an HT?

Hardtail. This is my go-to.

Ned Overend 2018 LR.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Tell me about 29 vs 27.5? I see the Specilaized Fuse only comes in 27.5?
For your purposes, I wouldn't worry too much either way. 29" is obviously larger diameter wheels which will roll easier. Downside is they're kinda big for smaller frame sizes. Less agile. 27.5" is the compromise between 26 and 29. For what you're doing, it won't matter. Personally, I'd do 27.5 probably in the future..but I'm riding a Small or XSmall frame size generally. I love the 29 on harder surfaces and less turny stuff..but for really technical sharp turns with roots and rocks, I find them a little too big.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Downside is they're kinda big for smaller frame sizes.

That is true. Although my wife rides XS frame Spech Epic 29' and claims this is the best bike ever. Says it is much more comfy that the 27.5' she had. To me, it looks grotesque, but there you go...

For the OP who will need L size frame and the rides he will use it for I strongly recommend 29'.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and the Stance was one of the worst budget bikes Pinkbike just tested......

And a favorite of Bicycling testers. Who knows about these third-party reviews.

I don't want to be too technical, but IMHO the Stance has one too few links in the rear suspension. Looks like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me.

I had the same thoughts, but it seems to work. At this price point, my first choice would still be the best used, high-end hardtail you could get for less than two grand.

I've got no skin in the game, and am mostly a Trek guy, but the Trance did seem like a good value to me when I saw it, then later saw the review.

Carry on debating clipless vs. flats.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Wow, you like a lot like Deadly Nedly.

That is Ned, but my bike. The frame is a limited edition based on his Cactus Cup bike.

Ned is a fixture at our shop. Many of his bikes are hanging in the shop, along with bikes of locals Todd Wells, Howard Grotts, Chris Blevins, Julie Furtado, et al.

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
And a favorite of Bicycling testers. Who knows about these third-party reviews.

I had the same thoughts, but it seems to work. At this price point, my first choice would still be the best used, high-end hardtail you could get for less than two grand.

I've got no skin in the game, and am mostly a Trek guy, but the Trance did seem like a good value to me when I saw it, then later saw the review.

Carry on debating clipless vs. flats.

You mean STANCE, not Trance.

They are entirely different bikes. I would tend to believe Pinkbike. Bicycling testers tend to fall into that category of rider than really hasnt changed themselves to embrace the new.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
@musicmatters I’ve been riding the Sope Creek trails for a very long time and now, some 35 years after first riding them, am out there occasionally with my kids. Hard tail will be plenty and double as a decent neighborhood cruiser. Under our governor’s order, bike shops are “essential.” I suggest heading over to Peachtree Bikes on Roswell Rd and getting outfitted with something there. Or Atlanta Cycling or Free Flite. I’m partial to Peachtree but they are all good folks and if you’re in the market, might as well support the local community if you can. Any of those places can get your pedals and shoes sorted too. Maybe I’ll see you out there one day - I’m now just a couple miles south nearer to the Harris trail parking area, which unfortunately, no longer allows bikes.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for everyone’s help

I’m leaning towards a 2019 Kona Honzo for $1199

The same dealer has a 2018 Kona Honzo AL/DL for $1599. (Marked down from $2199)

I’m trying to decifer what’s actually different about it. What benefit iwould the AL/DL version have?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m trying to decifer what’s actually different about it.?

Quite a lot.

Forks- Revelation is better than Recon, although the latter is perfectly adequate.

Brakes- Shimano vs SRAM-I do not see which Shimanos are there though. Level T are the entry level SRAM brakes, for what you need the bike for, they are OK

Shifters: GX is better than NX. Like....a lot better.

Chainrings are different with gearing a touch higher in AL/DL, but that's not significant.

And some other differences.

In essence, as it usually goes with the bikes-get the more expensive if you can afford it, there is a reason it is more expensive... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid