• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What bikes should I be looking at?

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking to get a mountain bike with and spend some of this free time.

I Just taught my 7 year old to ride a bike so I’d like to have something to ride around with her around the neighborhood, and on my own for exercising. There are some good Biking trails by my house also, nothing too crazy but some nice climbs and trails. I would like to have something to grow into if I wanted to start to take some trips on slightly more aggressive terrain.

I’d like to keep it between$1500-$2000

I’m 6’1”, 185lbs and 43 years old.

I’m open to buying used and get a better bike that way.
What are some good brand/model recomendatons? General features to look for? Size?

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
These articles are 2 years old now, which might be perfect if you do look for something used. I think they do a great job at giving a high level overview of a good selection of trail bikes, bikes that I personally think of as a "one bike quiver".

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
There is another thread..you're in the same boat..prime hard-tail candidate with a good budget. I was just looking at the Trek X-Caliber 8 or 9 for myself the other night..Canadian price $1499-$1999. Those are both decent bikes for your typical easy riding.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last fall I was in a similar spot, I was looking for my first non fat bike "real" mountain bike. Local trails around here are pretty tame in the grand scheme of things, lots of single and gravel double track with the major technical features being slippery root gardens. I was limited to my local shop is a Trek dealer, REI, and Consumer direct brands like Canyon. With that in mind, the local hardtail is the 27.5" Trek Roscoe and the 29" Stash around here and I have not seen much of anything else out on the trails.

(I ended up buying a Top Fuel 8 full suspension.. it came in glittery purple)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A red one.
You need a red bike, they are fastest.

:):)

Seriously, there is another thread here just for this :)

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I's choose one of these:

Or this:

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I's choose one of these:

Or this:

How does this one look? Looks like it’s a few hundred off the other Honzos out there

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you think it's your size, snag it.

thanks. What’s the deal with pedals? Looks like I need to buy them? What should I look at?

reviews also mention that it doesn’t have tubeless tires. Should I get those? What’s a reasonable brand/model there?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Odds are good that those tires can be converted to tubeless, so you won't need to spend loads of money there. As for pedals, is your bike shop "essential"? Can you just go n and get some? If not, I use Chainreactioncycles.com quite a bit. If you have used lipless pedals before, I'd get a pair of Shimano "endure" pedals that are in your price range. If not, get very spikes flat pedals. I am a fan of Hope pedals, but they will cost a lot of money.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Where do you plan to ride this bike ?

Around my neighborhood, and at the Sope Creek Bike trails. If you google image search that you can get a sense of the trails. I could see myself getting into it and taking trips for some slightly more challenging riding, but I not trying to go much beyond that

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sounds like a hardtail would be the ticket. +1 What the others above have mentioned.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Odds are good that those tires can be converted to tubeless, so you won't need to spend loads of money there. As for pedals, is your bike shop "essential"? Can you just go n and get some? If not, I use Chainreactioncycles.com quite a bit. If you have used lipless pedals before, I'd get a pair of Shimano "endure" pedals that are in your price range. If not, get very spikes flat pedals. I am a fan of Hope pedals, but they will cost a lot of money.

Can you send me a link to the Simano pedal you are refering to? Nothing really comes up when i search that

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even a week ago, I was in the group that would recommend a hardtail at your desired price point, and I might still be, but a friend of a friend recently bought a Giant Stance 1 full suspension bike at $1,800 MSRP, and I was surprised to find it perfectly acceptable.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Even a week ago, I was in the group that would recommend a hardtail at your desired price point, and I might still be, but a friend of a friend recently bought a Giant Stance 1 full suspension bike at $1,800 MSRP, and I was surprised to find it perfectly acceptable.

You arent making this any easier ;).

Ok. So thoughts on the $1200 New Kona Honzo or this 2 week old Giant Stance 1 for $1400?

Aside from the rear suspension, how to the specs compare to the Honzo?

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
and the Stance was one of the worst budget bikes Pinkbike just tested......

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I don't want to be too technical, but IMHO the Stance has one too few links in the rear suspension. Looks like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.