• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are your thoughts about Tyrolia RX12 bindings?

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
Please give me your thoughts about Tyrolia RX12 bindings. I am intrigued by Tyrolia’s claim that the binding’s diagonal release enhances knee & ligament safety but I have seen almost no online reviews about this product.
I was considering these for my new Fischer Ranger skis (90mm waist). Another biding I am considering is the Tyrolia Attack 13.
I am an advanced-intermediate skier who skis mainly on piste at Mammoth. Next season I plan to explore some of the Ikon Pass resorts in Colorado & Utah and maybe participate in a mogul clinic..
Thank you for your help!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The Fischer version is the FR12. I have many miles and a few falls with my Fischer FR12s mounted on my Fischer WC SCs. They still work well.

I am a big fan of the diagonal heel release, have been since I bought my old Tyrolia 490s

I have no experience with the Attack 13, but it is also reputed to be good.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like the Attack 13 bindings quite a bit, they are relatively light, easy to mount, easy to step into, and fairly inexpensive. They also are adjustable to pretty much any toe lug height. Haven't had any problems with them in the 2 years I've used them. My wife prefers the Attack 13 bindings over the Look SPx or Pivots I normally get for our skis, because she thinks the Attack 13 s are easier to get out of..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The RX12 is a fine binding for sure but the tractor track AFD doesn't have the solid interface that the wider flat AFD does from the Attack toe so on a wider ski like a 90mm Ranger, so, mounted on a wider ski, it wn't be as laterally rigid. This will be more prevalent when skiing on groomers and a higher edge angle when the ski is on the snow verses in the snow. Also the RX 12 toe is not GripWalk compatible so if you have a GW boot or are considering one for the future, this binding will not work. IMHO, the Attack 13 would be a optionfor this ski.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The main thing is that you are asking about the diagonal heel's ability to protect your ligaments. It can't do that. It would be nice if it did, but that is not the case. It doesn't make it worse, but don't expect it to be a prophylactic against ACL injuries.

TS
Ken in LA

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
What an excellent ski forum! Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.

Sponsor