• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are your cycling gear pet peeves?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
There's an off switch so you can get the wheel out. I'm sure you've noticed how much harder it is with it on. Anyway, have you ever adjusted the clutch. On Shimano you can back it off so it's not so tight if you want to.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
There's an off switch so you can get the wheel out. I'm sure you've noticed how much harder it is with it on. Anyway, have you ever adjusted the clutch. On Shimano you can back it off so it's not so tight if you want to.
I get that. It's not easy to get a rear wheel out with the clutch engaged! Despite my preference for a Shimano rear mech over Sram, I love the locking pin on a Sram mech which holds the cage forward and completely de- tensions the chain. Brilliant.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not gear, but literally a pet peeve...I've been riding and hiking a lot in the Salt Lake Valley this spring. This complaint applies nationwide. I see it in Utah and back home near Wash DC. It really bugs me when I see old plastic bags of dog crap on the side of trails. Lots of bags and these are not left there momentarily for quick pick up same day. They are old bags that have been laying around for a long time. I would much rather the owners let their dogs crap in the middle of the trail and have it biodegrade in a few days, then for them to carefully pick the crap up in a bag and then leave the bag to sit on the side of the trail for the next 300 years.
View attachment 102208
LOL, I agree with your pet peeve 1000%
There is someone in our area who printed up notes and is stapling them to the bags left behind.
Now, mind you, I know the paper is adding to the litter and not necessarily a solution but ....I get why someone wants to make a statement.
View attachment 102325
Seems like people are on a tare about this topic
This was posted on FB by @Winks (not his note, but one he saw)
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 1.29.29 PM.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2020 Trek Crockett = T47 Threaded Bottom Bracket!!! So no more PressFit BB90

I've never had a PF90 go bad on me. Never. And, I've had numerous threaded Shimano BBs go bad fairly quickly over the years. Guess I'm lucky. I also pluck the seal off every one when new, and pack it really well with quality grease (which I also do with all my suspension bearings).

That said, the engineer in me finds the T47 standard wonderful. Glad to see Trek at least apparently changing over to T47 with each new model generation.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also pluck the seal off every one when new, and pack it really well with quality grease (which I also do with all my suspension bearings).

This is the bike equivalent of giving a brand new pair of skis a full grind and tune. Makes total sense to the perfectionist and understandably seems like insanity to the sane consumer.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Makes total sense to the perfectionist and understandably seems like insanity to the sane consumer.

"Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Written within a decade of the Wright brothers' flights. Coincidence? Perhaps not.

Seems like people are on a tare about this topic

Love the packaging pun.

Last edited:
TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
It has been 6 months since my last CX race involving a sand pit. The shoes have been washed, footbeds separately, at least three times since then. Somehow, I am still coming back from rides with socks full of sand.