• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are you guys wearing over your base layers? T shirts? Waffles? Fleece?

ADDvanced

Full Jerry
Skier
Hey, so right now all my equipment is fairly up to date, and the only part of my getup I feel weird about is my mids.

Right now I wear a long sleeve base layer, then usually a thin thermal waffle longsleeve shirt, and then I'll just wear a T shirt. If it's cold, I throw on a cheap fleece vest.

Thing is, I always feel like a goober when I take of my shell at the chalet. I searched Mid layers, but everythign that comes up is like a super thing hoodie type deal, or a down vest. I don't want a light jacket. I don't want a vest. What are you guys wearing at the chalet when you get lunch?

I wish there was something like a super performance flannel or something.

Cheers!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Flannel is cotton, right? I have found some fleece button ups that give the look of a flannel shirt if that's the look you are going for.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Fleece on cold or pow days, T-shirt regularly, Hoodie any other day also I am a California skier

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just base layer and shell on a warm to slightly-cold day.
Then add a fleece vest. It is the right amount of extra weight for me in most conditions.
If it is really cold, I swap the vest for a long-sleeve puffy. It's the removable lining that came with my shell. I'm not crazy about it and might swap for a better and less bulky puffy if I see one I like on sale.

For après, I stuff a long-sleeve fleece in my boot bag to put on then.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Depending on the day it varies... this weekend I was wearing a base layer that fits like a regular shirt (i.e. not compression or skin-tight) and an insulated jacket... so I just wore my base layer in the lodge.

Other times, I'll have a base layer, and fleece under a jacket, or shell depending, with or without another puffy layer depending on how cold it is. Then I may wear the fleece around. Usually it's hot in the lodge and I'm down to my base layer on top though.

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wrangler makes a 100 weight fleece shirt, like a button down, which I use as a mid layer. LL Bean has done the same in the past, with the shirts usually found in their hunting catalogs, again, the same 100 weight polarfleece fabric. The front pocket on these shirts are great for keeping power bars sufficiently soft to munch on the lift.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, could you clarify:
are you looking for performance only, or do looks matter? If so, what kind of style are you trying to achieve? As mentioned above, these days you can find technical garments with the estecti s of a classic ski sweater, flannel shirt or sweatshirt hoody.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have two main setups. The first is my really cold setup, which I've skied this down to -10 with no issues. (As long as I stay moving.)
  • Layer 1: Under Armour skintight cold gear
  • Layer 2: Old Navy Activewear fleece (Something like this, thanks to the Pugskiers for the recommendation)
  • Layer 3: Helly Hansen Alpha 3.0 Ski Jacket
Then there's my usual setup, which is best for 10-25 degrees.
  • Layer 1: Under Armour skintight cold gear
  • Layer 2: Old Navy Go Warm Thermal (basically a loose waffle long sleeve performance fabric shirt)
  • Layer 3: Helly Hansen Alpha 3.0 Ski Jacket
If I'm working hard or if temperatures climb to 30+ degrees, I'll ditch the midlayer and open all the vents on my ski jacket. This usually cools me off pretty quickly.

I never ski past March, so this setup probably wouldn't work for true spring skiing.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lots of performance flannels on the market - my boyfriend basically lives in the $16 Columbia one he got at their outlets 8 years ago. But his Eddie Bauer one also gets play in the rotation - they're only $20 with their promo code. Just look for ones without cotton. (Usually they're 100%, or a few have 3-5% elastane/spandex.
Capture.PNG

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My base layer is a t-shirt, followed by insulation to taste and optionally a shell. (Though I suspect that’s not quite the setup you’re going for.)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wool zip-T base layer, 100-weight zip fleece, light synthetic fill puffy, 2-layer (light) shell for here in the damp/cold/windy northeast.
At lunch/après, I take off shell and puffy and walk around in base and fleece.

From my years working outdoor adventure programs, I would NEVER wear a cotton T-shirt to do anything active. Period.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Patagonia Nano Air (Full zip) , Patagonia Micro puff (full zip), Spyder glissade (vest & pullover). This is on top of Mons Royale or Smartwool base layer. Shell is pretty much always a Patagonia Untracked.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Patagonia R1 hoodie with offset zipper. Best piece of gear I own. They stopped making it a few years ago, which is a shame, but I bought two right before they went off the market. It was replaced with a midline-zipper model, which sucks because the zipper pull flaps on your nose while you ski. I wear it with the low-profile hood up (under my helmet), and open and close the face zipper throughout the day for ventilation as needed. I love it, because it's like having a balaclava you can never forget to bring along (which used to be a huge problem for me). On super warm days, I just leave the zipper down or leave the hood off altogether, but the hood is always there in case I need it. I've really beaten them up over them past few years as I use it in a variety of outdoor activities (hiking/biking/fishing/climbing/paddling), but Patagonia has repaired them free of charge. LIFETIME GUARANTEE BABY!

IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’ve got half a dozen lightweight 1/4 zip fleeces in various colors. If it’s really cold I’ve got an expedition weight fleece and/or a fleece vest.

Sponsor

Staff online