• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are you growing in your garden?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked these yesterday. Who knew they would be so effing hot! :eek:

20180907_142305_HDR_resized.jpg

What is everyone else harvesting now?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe you got the color coding wrong. Green for mild and red for hot. :D

Or maybe those are the mild ones. :eek:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tomatoes, pomegranates, oranges (should be good in January), plums (those are gone now); and trying to grow Satsuma mandarins but the fruit isn't setting. The mandarin tree flowered for the first time last spring, and the fruit started but then disappeared. I haven't had much luck with those.

I did the farm share (CSA) for years, and it was a great way to eat seasonal produce. I tried so mnay new recipes when I did that.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Tomatoes, summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, peaches, plums, pears, apples and grapes, but the squirrels got every last grape before we could get any.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Tons of avocados from the tree, none of them edible. The dogs like them when they turn rotten on the ground... :wag::poo:

Also some apples earlier, but they were pretty woody.

Rosemary, thyme, oregano, and green onion in the herb garden are low maintenance and do well.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Grapes. So many grapes. A few apples so far. The tree is still young. Oranges. Limes. Pomegranates. Different types of tomatoes. Jalepenos. Onions. Glorious strawberries. Green beans (realized I'm the only who cares for them). Patty pan squash. Lavendar, rosemary, mint.

Now starting the winter garden- turnips, chard, carrots, parsnips, kale, and whatever else might stike my fancy.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This season we've grown and harvested:

Kale
Broccoli
Arugula
Red Leaf lettuce
Sugar Snap peas
Patti Pan squash
Summer squash
Butternut squash
Tomatoes
Basil
Blueberries
Rhubarb
Dill
Thyme
Rosemary
Pumpkins

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have a tiny garden. 1 cherry tomato plant and another on the deck. 1 unknown variety of bigger tomatoes. Many herbs: sage, rosemary, time, tarragon, oregano, mint. too much basil, chives. Catnip for the cats.

Moving from our garden apt. to a house this fall next year will start a new herb garden and a bigger vegetable garden plus an apple tree or 2.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Lettuce and spinach (both done earlier, but I've replanted for fall/winter)
Strawberries and snap peas (also done for the season)
Carrots and beets, though only a few survived some unknown pest that always gets them
Kale
Red cabbage
Green beans
Sauce and cherry tomatos
Cucumbers
Fennel
Summer squash of all varieties
Basil and an assortment of herbs

I'm still waiting for most of my sauce tomatoes to ripen, it seems to be a theme that I'm harvesting them green in October and window ripening them.

Gatopescado

I never go to the base lodge
Skier
I've got a huge tomato plant just waiting to spring a butt-load of nice product. There is a short late-season warming trend that should take me riiight up to that point... Then I'll lose them all! :(

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Ahh gardening.

Lemme see..

3 types of cucumbers
Zucchini
Pumpkins
Garlic
2 types of onions
jalapenos
red/green/yellow bell peppers
roma and san marzano and cherry tomatoes
heritage and normal carrots
Acorn and butternut squash..
peas, green and yellow beans

Then there is fruit..
raspberries, black raspberries, blue berries, elderberries, mulberries, strawberries, black currants
european and north american prune plums, 4 types of apples which aren't mature enough yet for fruit (wolf river / holstein / purple passion and another one i forget)
sour cherry, bing cherry, and 2 shrub cherry varieties.. oh and bartlett and bosch pears and a peach tree
some variety of blue grape that came with the property.. and i've added a few different red and green table grapes, along with concorde and a white wine grape..
Oh and can't forget the sugar maples.. :)

I still want to plant a pawpaw (some northern banana type fruit), maybe another 2 or 3 peach trees, some thimble berries (large black berry) some more maples and..... who knows what else..

A bunch of the fruit goes to wine.. because.. it'd be a shame for it to go to waste :)