• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado What about Glenwood Springs

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks guys. All January works in my schedule. Take my 19 yo kid. Several strategies for skiing just see what works based on what aspen says. Sunlight if decent. Probably ski 3 days a week. Work 4 days. Maybe. Try to take it easy. I like the area.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I am looking at a one month rental in Glennwood Springs. I mean heck, it doesn't really matter where I am right now. I've been through there in summer, but never winter. Aspen and Vail within an hour. Sunlight. Hot springs. What do you think? Anyone else done this?
Never stayed there for more than a day or two, no. But I have skied Sunlight. It’s pleasantly surprising and underrated I would say.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I'll echo the many comments that say it isn't crappy. It has some big town amenities, has a decent selection of restaurants, and is a nice scenic location close to some great skiing.

The biggest plus for me (besides the low cost) is the low elevation makes sleeping a lot better.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks again -all I did book a place but have some time to cancel in case the 2020 curse gets worse. Now all we need is a car and lift passes. And good advice.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Main downsides for Glenwood I have noted is you have to go to Basalt or Rifle for the cinema and the 7-11 on 82 closed (but whatever replaced it - carnaceria I wanna guess but can't remember may be better)

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've stayed in Glenwood Springs several times to ski Aspen and Sunlight. It's a great place to stay on the cheap. Always drove to ski, not sure if the bus is an option. Roads are fairly flat to Aspen. Sunlight gains elevation more quickly but still pretty mellow. The drive to vail is also fairly flat but can take a lot longer in bad weather and as mentioned, road closures in glenwood canyon. Driving to Powderhorn is also an option. Have fun.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We stayed in Glenwood last winter and skied Aspen every day. We had some decent inexpensive Mexican food, some Chinese and also ate in a 60's diner near Walmart. Staying there has a lot of advantages except in blizzard conditions when the trip to Aspen is a bit dicey. The last day we stopped at Copper on our way to Keystone. It's not fancy and it's not ski in/out but it works as a base.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got an Air BnB reserved in Carbondale for the first few days of the Aspen Gathering, just a little closer to Aspen/Snowmass than Glenwood Springs, still low enough elevation to acclimate a bit before I move to a ski-in/out place at Snowmass.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
We stayed in Glenwood last winter and skied Aspen every day. We had some decent inexpensive Mexican food, some Chinese and also ate in a 60's diner near Walmart. Staying there has a lot of advantages except in blizzard conditions when the trip to Aspen is a bit dicey. The last day we stopped at Copper on our way to Keystone. It's not fancy and it's not ski in/out but it works as a base.

Nice. that is probably what i hope to achieve, but not every day at Aspen for a month. I am curious - what kind of tickets did you get ?

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
What month are you thinking of coming and where do plan to ski?

Glenwood is an awesome town, but I'd have a few concerns during this COVID season:
  1. Day tickets could be hard to come by, and season passes to all the areas would be very expensive. Also, Aspen/Snowmass isn't going to release their operational plan or pass pricing until late October.
  2. Getting to the Aspen areas is fairly dependant on transit, especially on the weekends, and transit capacity will be reduced to allow distancing.
Maybe @Nancy Hummel has some insight on what it will be like to get from Glenwood to the Aspen areas with the reduced transit capacity?

I will be there for all of January. Given some other personal considerations, I plan to go flexible, see how it shakes out, and might be driving to Aspen, parking in one of the remote lots, and taking the shuttle up to the lifts. Try to target weekdays as much as possible.

Aspen's has released their pass pricing which is not friendly to my cause, and Ikon is not looking that great either at $900 for 5 days and no discount afterwards.

I need to find someone who wants to sell me a valley pass.

Mountain Collective is looking not bad at $500 for 2 days plus 50% discounts afterwards which might break even on 8 days, depending on the Aspen day price which I expect to be nearer to $200.

Any lift ticket advice appreciated !!!!

ps. most likely to get a Sunlight pass also.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I will be there for all of January. Given some other personal considerations, I plan to go flexible, see how it shakes out, and might be driving to Aspen, parking in one of the remote lots, and taking the shuttle up to the lifts. Try to target weekdays as much as possible.
Because Aspen is such a strong destination resort, Sat. and Sun. are often arrival/departure days and thus not that busy.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@pipestem do you also plan to buy a Sunlight pass? What type of skiing do you enjoy? Not sure of what to expect from Sunlight in an average January, but in a dry year I know it can be very limited due to lack of snowmaking

As for Aspen, I'd be concerned about the potential hassle with the shuttles from the outlying parking. Because of COVID, they will likely be running at 50% capacity. Hopefully, they'll run efficiently, but who knows. If there's a long wait for the shuttle on top of the drive from Glenwood it would be a huge pain to get on the hill.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I may have a couple of extra 50% off coupons for Aspen. I am not sure how many we get and how many tix are spoken for by friends.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
@pipestem do you also plan to buy a Sunlight pass? What type of skiing do you enjoy? Not sure of what to expect from Sunlight in an average January, but in a dry year I know it can be very limited due to lack of snowmaking

As for Aspen, I'd be concerned about the potential hassle with the shuttles from the outlying parking. Because of COVID, they will likely be running at 50% capacity. Hopefully, they'll run efficiently, but who knows. If there's a long wait for the shuttle on top of the drive from Glenwood it would be a huge pain to get on the hill.

Thanks. Yeah, I have seen the snow stats for Sunlight for the last many years -- not great. But, it could be great for a couple of hours a day -- I am going to be working 4/5 time as well. I like new and interesting territory -- North Ridge and bowls at Vail, Montezuma at Abasin, Wildcat at Alta, Milli at Brighton, king pine at the Loaf, JP at Snowbasin,,,,, etc... I am not great or even good (you probably don't want to ski with me :), I just love it. I'll defer pass purchases as long as possible but at some point the pain has got to happen, it's just part of the game. @DanoT - good info about weekend potential, thanks, but I expect fewer day trippers during the week - is that right ?

@Nancy Hummel - thanks, def put me at the bottom of your list.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@DanoT - good info about weekend potential, thanks, but I expect fewer day trippers during the week - is that right ?
@pipestem, what you can expect at Aspen, with its 4 mountains, is the least crowded maojr resort in the USA.

On a powder day all the powder hounds go to Aspen Mtn, or Highlands. This means you can ski pow until noon at Snowmass, and all day at Buttermilk.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
@pipestem, what you can expect at Aspen, with its 4 mountains, is the least crowded maojr resort in the USA.

On a powder day all the powder hounds go to Aspen Mtn, or Highlands. This means you can ski pow until noon at Snowmass, and all day at Buttermilk.

Marvelous

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Yeah, I have seen the snow stats for Sunlight for the last many years -- not great. But, it could be great for a couple of hours a day -- I am going to be working 4/5 time as well. I like new and interesting territory -- North Ridge and bowls at Vail, Montezuma at Abasin, Wildcat at Alta, Milli at Brighton, king pine at the Loaf, JP at Snowbasin,,,,, etc...
Are you locked into Glenwood Springs? With the cost of skiing Aspen this season plus the 50-minute drive, I'd be looking at staying elsewhere.

One idea is staying in Edwards and skiing Beaver Creek. That would be a ton more convenient and passes much cheaper.

Or, with the money you could save on passes skiing elsewhere, maybe stay ski in ski somewhere out so you could ski a couple of hours a day.

Other than MLK weekend, January is fairly low season so there could be some good options. If you don't mind moving around maybe spend MLK weekend in Glenwood, or Utah. Just some ideas.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^ We (my 19 yo daughter and I) looked around and selected this. It's on man, don't harsh the buzz. Every year is a new opportunity now. I've been to most ski areas in Colorado but none past Vail. I don't mind skipping MLK, not a fan of crowds anywhere.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I live in Eagle. That's a great compromise too. Much more affordable and authentic community than further up valley. And much closer to the ski areas than Glenwood -- unless you're going to Sunlight. From here it's 20 minutes to Beaver Creek, and that's where all the locals go.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I live in Eagle. That's a great compromise too. Much more affordable and authentic community than further up valley. And much closer to the ski areas than Glenwood -- unless you're going to Sunlight. From here it's 20 minutes to Beaver Creek, and that's where all the locals go.
Why Beaver Creek? Just curious..