• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What 2018 Summer/Fall movies are you looking forward to?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The only movie I've seen (in the theater, that is) all summer is BlacKkKlansman. It was good. It's been playing at our local indie(ish) movie theater for quite a while now.
Even though it gets very hot here in the summer, I don't like going into a dark theater when it's light out, so I think I actually go to fewer movies in the summer.

We saw BlacKKKlansman last week, it was good wasn't it. Denzel Washington's son is just as charismatic as daddy!!

We sort of have a standing movie day every tuesday night with my SO and his sister. It's discount night. I bring wine, cheese, crackers and we make a night of it. Sometimes we go, sometimes we don't. Not sure if we are going tomorrow. Other movies I'm looking forward to are Halloween and the Freddie Mercury biopic. Die Hard is being re-released in November for 2 nights so I'm looking forward to seeing that on the big screen.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Have viewed few movies over last 2 or 3 decades but will go out to theaters a few times each year. Looks like I did see 4 this year below. Also don't watch much tv as have been OTA without cable for years, nor have an Internet movie subscription...yawn.

Listing of 2018 movies:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2018&p=.htm

Rated on a 10 scale, 10=best

2 Solo- A Star Wars Story
5 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
8 Mission: Impossible - Fallout
9 Paul, Apostle of Christ

And plan to see The Predator tomorrow.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
its certainly not Hollywood but some may find it interesting (even if your not Canadian)

just re-watched For King and Empire a 6 part series about Canadian forces in WWI
again saw an image of my grandfather lying in the mud of Passchendale, a refresher for my wife and I before we head to Vimy for the 100th.

was surprised to see via Canadian War Museum Ottawa records both my grandfather and my wife's enlisted within days of each other in BC and then served in the same overseas regiments.

odds of that are pretty rare with the small population of BC in 1914 ,
rarer they both survived all the way to Mons, avoided the Spanish influenza and came back with a war bride.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Per above post missed another movie I saw this year, Annilhilation and would rate that just a 2 haha. So did watch
The Predator this afternoon after reading several poorly rated reviews. Per above would rate it overall a disappointing 4. Entertainment value about a 6 but much unnecessary foul language where every line blurted out from most characters has F this and F that. Oddly the movie starts off with building up a few characters and a plot but midway through dissolves into constant CGI shoot-em-up blow-em-up in shadows nausea without ever following up on loose strings...yawn. Of course just like in comic book super hero movies (I dislike genre), the main characters never seem to get damaged despite being at the center of intense carnage...yawn. Instead of continuing into plot and characters, any dialogue is reserved for more one liners with foul grossness.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Who knew so many movies came out? I bet that, since our first date on May 5, 1990, I have seen fewer than 10 movies in the theater. Maybe 12. My wife and I saw "Spaced Invaders" on our first date. That's the last movie we saw together 28 years ago. Some with the kids, one or two with friends. Guess I'm a "wait until it hits the small screen" kind of guy.

The ones I remember:
Spaced Invaders
Showtime
Mulan
Star Trek (the newer version)

Hmmm...Maybe way less than 10!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Saw Halloween last night. It was good. Not as good as the other Jamie Lee Curtis classic's but the director who didn't have a horror background did a great job with some story continuity while still paying homage to various famous scenes throughout the franchise. While it was gorier than necessary and not like the originals, the score was enhanced and he did a nice job capturing the suspense that the classics are known for. That said I'm watching Halloween, Halloween II and H20 as part of my Halloween evening tomorrow night in addition to handing out candy.

Next up Freddie Mercury biopic followed by the re-release of the original Die Hard in the middle of November.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Crazy Rich Asians was excellent. I'd see it again. Want to see A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody. Have tickets for the new Warren Miller in December.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely recommend Free Solo. For once, it was good to know the end before we went in. Even so, the last 15 minutes felt like they lasted an hour.
:eek:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely recommend Free Solo. For once, it was good to know the end before we went in. Even so, the last 15 minutes felt like they lasted an hour.
I just saw that on Sunday and really enjoyed it. I heard today that Honnold spoke before the opening in Sacramento on Saturday. Wish I'd known; I would have gone!

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I've not seen the film yet, but I did see this the other day, very cool in 360.:thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid