• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Western Gathering 2017 - Whistler Blackcomb

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
For those of us who skied Spanky's in low visibility there is this news from Snowbrains.
Skier Triggers Inbounds avalanche and Gets Thrown off 50 Ft cliff - Whistler - Spanky's

I feel like there were a few of us who only saw the cliffs a split second before we got to them.
@markojp @mdf @Philpug @KingGrump (and more)

Tony Crocker, April, and I went into Spanky's and were skiing along the edge of a cliff for a bit. It was a bit un-nerving as the fall-line was edging towards the cliff in low-vis. I would have loved to have skied Spanky's (and a great many other things) when you could see what you were doing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tony Crocker, April, and I went into Spanky's and were skiing along the edge of a cliff for a bit. It was a bit un-nerving as the fall-line was edging towards the cliff in low-vis. I would have loved to have skied Spanky's (and a great many other things) when you could see what you were doing.
I was lucky going down Whistler Bowl, flat light, I went over a cliff, thank goodness it was only about 8-10'..not worse.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For those of us who skied Spanky's in low visibility there is this news from Snowbrains.
Skier Triggers Inbounds avalanche and Gets Thrown off 50 Ft cliff - Whistler - Spanky's

I feel like there were a few of us who only saw the cliffs a split second before we got to them.
@markojp @mdf @Philpug @KingGrump (and more)

Hmm. Sobering, for sure. Do we think the roaring sound was an airbag inflating, or just the rush of wind as she fell? Also wondering what her intended line was as she approached the lip of the cliff. Was there a clear route to skier left that she was trying to move toward, before she got pulled right over the cliff?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I never felt exposed where we were on Spanky's, but the top 1/3 certainly was on the milky side of things and there was plenty of skier compaction. She skied over a bit of wind loaded stuff on her traverse... always be very careful and suspicious of untracked snow on the wind loaded side of things even if it's in a controlled area.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On low vis days, I like to ski terrains with "gully" like features. That means both sides goes up and I am in the trough. It forces me to fall back down into my intended line without much effort.
Can't say that when I am on the "crown" type terrain.

The line we took thru Garnet and Diamond that day was the "gully" type with a few large exposed rocks for contrast.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Diamond Bowl it was, on Wednesday. Kara, Meg, and I saw the boarders zip past your line and followed theirs instead. Relieved all made it down unscathed.

Last edited:

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was lucky going down Whistler Bowl, flat light, I went over a cliff, thank goodness it was only about 8-10'..not worse.
Eek! I'm glad you're ok. :hug:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw it from my vantage point and yelled to him but he didn't hear me.

That must have been horrible. Assume you were able to determine quickly that he was okay.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That must have been horrible. Assume you were able to determine quickly that he was okay.
I wasn't scared that he couldn't do it, but I wanted to warn him so that it would be on purpose. Turns out he was surprised but okay, so all is well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I never felt exposed where we were on Spanky's, but the top 1/3 certainly was on the milky side of things and there was plenty of skier compaction. She skied over a bit of wind loaded stuff on her traverse... always be very careful and suspicious of untracked snow on the wind loaded side of things even if it's in a controlled area.
I had a bit of a vertigo moment when I was doing the short hike, which caused some visibility/orientation issues in the upper part of Spanky's.
Fortunately I had @mdf in front of me so I followed him. If he went over a cliff, that was a sign that I shouldn't go there. ;)

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wednesday morning Tony Crocker guided Liz, Jilly, Toni, Meg, @KevinF, @DanoT, April, @Pumba, and me. This is... Lakeside Bowl.
IMG_0451.JPG

With @Pumba and Meg, taking it easy after morning of Diamond at Spanky's
IMG_0453.JPG

@KingGrump always so generous about taking the time to hang out with intermediate newcomers, here with Meg, my ultra-runner friend back home.
IMG_0457.JPG

Alison/Fosphenytoin, she smiled!
IMG_8873.JPG

Thursday, thanks to @Lady_Salina and Ron for an adrenaline filled day. @MDSkier, Mrs @KingGrump, @Unpiste, and @mdf a little further behind from Peak to Creek through Millionaire Ridge.
IMG_0468.JPG

Cleared the trees
IMG_0475.JPG

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Rainbow Jenny Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing.
Also, thanks for sharing your Dakotas. I fell in love with them all over again!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Rainbow Jenny Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing.
Also, thanks for sharing your Dakotas. I fell in love with them all over again!

You're most welcome! Although the Dakotas went MIA Tuesday after lunch despite the search and rescue mission from @SKI-3PO, @JohnL, @Unpiste, Mrs @KingGrump, @MDSkier, and @NearNyquist, so glad they re-appeared after much patience, hot Lipton tea, and..

. IMG_0446.JPG

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Wednesday morning Tony Crocker guided Liz, Jilly, Toni, Meg, @KevinF, @DanoT, April, @Pumba, and me. This is... Lakeside Bowl.
View attachment 21048

Ummm...I was with Lady Salina and older Boot on Wednesday. That was the day I realized that my Temptations were having AFD problems. We did the Blackcomb glacier that morning. Arthur's Choice etc.