• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Lol. If one is going to use Surefoot, you best go to one of their good stores. That probably means Utah.
Essentially, they attempted to create getting custom fit boots as not much harder than going to McDonalds and ordering a burger with no pickle, onions or mustard, but yes on ketchup. Attempt to eliminate the skilled labor as much as possible through set procedures and technology. But in reality, you'll only get good results where there's experienced people. Either way it won't be cheap.

Afaik they use Conformable foam liners. Foaming boots can be screwed up by the best. Sometimes it just doesn't work. Kind of like rebuilding carburetors. It used to be that the foams really had to be pretty fresh. I'm not sure that's still as much a factor.

TS
B

BeetleJuice

Booting up
Skier
Lol. I don't know how to respond to everybody, but the last page has made me pee my pants almost. I'm doing my homework right now.. Come on here. This forum is better than I anticipated. I just came over from TGR, there from NS. Lots of knowledge here, that's why I felt comfortable with asking about boot issues. I shy away from any boot questions elsewhere. You guys know how personal it is. Philpug is such a great guy, I must say!! Offering all this is such a relief.

I hope I didn't come off as a super jerk. I'm young, and don't know how to deal with frustration as well as you wiser people. I figured out my problems today though, and came out with 2 boots for barely more than the price of one somewhere else. Recreational and race boots. One 2016 Lange ZB, 27.5, being held over the weekend for stretching (minor) and vibram soles/router toe and heel. As well as one 2016 27.5 Rossi Hero WC SI 130, 97mm last, which fit's great out of the box for a 27, very comfortable, but still tiny for my almost 29 foot for mogul skiing. I'm pretty sure the Rossi shell is the same as a 2016 Lange RS 130, just black and red, instead of blue and yellow. The Rossi has a crappier liner than the Langes, but it actually feels warmer, so theres that. Rossi black/white plastic also feels slightly softer in warm temps than Lange blue, but will be a good alternative to ZB's for cold days in WY/MT, or sometimes in Tahoe.

Both boots were 2016 leftovers, and I got lucky with great deals. I had been to this shop before, but never spoken with this specific person. Basically the same as online prices on leftovers. I am going to pay a little extra for fitting though, since the guy in South Lake hooked it up. He's been fitting for over 20 years, and I see what you mean by "finding the right person". Whatever he saved me, I will return in word of mouth advertisement and I will go back there 2 years from now when I need something else.

Speaking of liners, I am definitely going to save over the summer, and get two liners next year. One to take up a little space in 28.5, and one for making my 27.5s feel even more "custom". Been looking at BD liners, Zipfit, and Nordica. I might be able to get a deal from Surefoot too, since my brother works for a local Tahoe Magazine that does business with Surefoot. I just need the liner, not the full Surefoot experience. Haha. Hey, they try to make a hard process easier, I give them respect. As other's have said, some sure foots are actually quite good. Some are also wonkier.. So far, Olympic Bootfitters in Squaw for zip fit, and Elite Feet in Squaw for Nordica liners, are my main choices. I don't think the place I bought these boots today, carries what I need for liners. I need to get some more time in the shells before I can understand what I need from another liner.

Someone spoke of the ramp angle in a smaller boot. I am used to 27.5. I think that might be another issue. I get into some 28.5s, and the cuff height is higher, and overall I feel like I'm going to break my leg versus bend the boot. Like I don't have enough leverage over a 28.5 boot either, when I can manhandle the 27.5 boots in tight spots. I just like the feel of 27.5, and how it matches up with my lower leg movements in difficult terrain/conditions. I just feel "one with the boot", there is no middle man called space and time in 27.5.. I will be careful on my center mounted skis, not to over-drive them though. Which is why I like Lange/Rossi. That upright stance feels better for modern skis with slightly less traditional mount points. And that upright stance also works very well with 190cm or more skis, with 10cm or further back from center mounts. I can drive them to infinity and beyond with the Lange angles. Every mm of movement forward is translated to energy to the skis, whereas some more aggressively leaned boots feel like they only work in a specific "zone"..

Chuck Norris, you don't pick plugs, Plugs pick you! That's great. That describes exactly the process I've had trying to get someone to fit them to me, as a non-pro, non-racer. I think it will be worth the time and frustration.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Attempt to eliminate the skilled labor as much as possible through set procedures and technology.

Sadly that is the future of a lot of industries :(

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
It is remarkable how many people fit into a Lange shell when they go to SoreFoot for their 'custom' boots :eek:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is remarkable how many people fit into a Lange shell when they go to SoreFoot for their 'custom' boots :eek:

Facilitated by ensuring the shell is at least one, preferably two, sizes too big. Then there’s lots of room to stuff them with foam!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lol. I don't know how to respond to everybody, but the last page has made me pee my pants almost. I'm doing my homework right now.. Come on here. This forum is better than I anticipated. I just came over from TGR, there from NS. Lots of knowledge here, that's why I felt comfortable with asking about boot issues. I shy away from any boot questions elsewhere. You guys know how personal it is. Philpug is such a great guy, I must say!! Offering all this is such a relief.

I hope I didn't come off as a super jerk. I'm young, and don't know how to deal with frustration as well as you wiser people. I figured out my problems today though, and came out with 2 boots for barely more than the price of one somewhere else. Recreational and race boots. One 2016 Lange ZB, 27.5, being held over the weekend for stretching (minor) and vibram soles/router toe and heel. As well as one 2016 27.5 Rossi Hero WC SI 130, 97mm last, which fit's great out of the box for a 27, very comfortable, but still tiny for my almost 29 foot for mogul skiing. I'm pretty sure the Rossi shell is the same as a 2016 Lange RS 130, just black and red, instead of blue and yellow. The Rossi has a crappier liner than the Langes, but it actually feels warmer, so theres that. Rossi black/white plastic also feels slightly softer in warm temps than Lange blue, but will be a good alternative to ZB's for cold days in WY/MT, or sometimes in Tahoe.

Both boots were 2016 leftovers, and I got lucky with great deals. I had been to this shop before, but never spoken with this specific person. Basically the same as online prices on leftovers. I am going to pay a little extra for fitting though, since the guy in South Lake hooked it up. He's been fitting for over 20 years, and I see what you mean by "finding the right person". Whatever he saved me, I will return in word of mouth advertisement and I will go back there 2 years from now when I need something else.

Speaking of liners, I am definitely going to save over the summer, and get two liners next year. One to take up a little space in 28.5, and one for making my 27.5s feel even more "custom". Been looking at BD liners, Zipfit, and Nordica. I might be able to get a deal from Surefoot too, since my brother works for a local Tahoe Magazine that does business with Surefoot. I just need the liner, not the full Surefoot experience. Haha. Hey, they try to make a hard process easier, I give them respect. As other's have said, some sure foots are actually quite good. Some are also wonkier.. So far, Olympic Bootfitters in Squaw for zip fit, and Elite Feet in Squaw for Nordica liners, are my main choices. I don't think the place I bought these boots today, carries what I need for liners. I need to get some more time in the shells before I can understand what I need from another liner.

Someone spoke of the ramp angle in a smaller boot. I am used to 27.5. I think that might be another issue. I get into some 28.5s, and the cuff height is higher, and overall I feel like I'm going to break my leg versus bend the boot. Like I don't have enough leverage over a 28.5 boot either, when I can manhandle the 27.5 boots in tight spots. I just like the feel of 27.5, and how it matches up with my lower leg movements in difficult terrain/conditions. I just feel "one with the boot", there is no middle man called space and time in 27.5.. I will be careful on my center mounted skis, not to over-drive them though. Which is why I like Lange/Rossi. That upright stance feels better for modern skis with slightly less traditional mount points. And that upright stance also works very well with 190cm or more skis, with 10cm or further back from center mounts. I can drive them to infinity and beyond with the Lange angles. Every mm of movement forward is translated to energy to the skis, whereas some more aggressively leaned boots feel like they only work in a specific "zone"..

Chuck Norris, you don't pick plugs, Plugs pick you! That's great. That describes exactly the process I've had trying to get someone to fit them to me, as a non-pro, non-racer. I think it will be worth the time and frustration.
Tip on adding vibrams and routing lugs...plane the bottoms first before your rout the lugs, that way you are not taking all of the material off of the top. If you have the vibrams I would be happy to do the work.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Glad you found someone you trust. It would be good to know what shop & who?
Thanks

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sidas has a new foot scanner/analysis machine coming out. Expect to see these in shops a lot in the next season or two.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Also on the soles...I would go with the Tecnica/Nordica soles over the Head ones...they are much more durable and easier to swap to Gripwalk either now or down the road.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sidas has a new foot scanner/analysis machine coming out. Expect to see these in shops a lot in the next season or two.
It's amazing how the foot pressure pads/computer display just disappeared from shops. Almost never see them now. For awhile they were the rage. I think everyone realized they really added little to nothing for several thousand dollars expense for the shop plus training time to use it. Better just to train in actually looking at the feet and learning how to make footbeds.

What does this new scanner do? Tell you have a skinny calf?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

What does this new scanner do? Tell you have a skinny calf?

Yes, it does. It scans the shape and volume of your foot and lower leg, then matches it to a digital data base to match your foot to a boot. We'll see. IMHO it will be a great tool for big box sales. It won't 'know' more than an experienced fitter, but when the cost benefit analysis is done, money and cost rule. Now the minimum wage kid just goes and retrives the boot, the scanner diagnoses potential areas for work, toss the boot on the 'fix it' shelf, and done. This WILL work better for much of the public than the current model who never will see a true professional, experienced, fitter. Will it help us, the passionate ski kooks? Not so much. How about we make skis and boots light for aging boomers... and disposable! .... now we're cook'in with gas!

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
When two people both believe they know best, but one holds the veto, you have to make that person believe that your solution is their idea.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
When two people both believe they know best, but one holds the veto, you have to make that person believe that your solution is their idea.

Sometimes it's best not to pursue a particular customer. The veto works both ways.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, it does. It scans the shape and volume of your foot and lower leg, then matches it to a digital data base to match your foot to a boot. We'll see. IMHO it will be a great tool for big box sales. It won't 'know' more than an experienced fitter, but when the cost benefit analysis is done, money and cost rule. Now the minimum wage kid just goes and retrives the boot, the scanner diagnoses potential areas for work, toss the boot on the 'fix it' shelf, and done. This WILL work better for much of the public than the current model who never will see a true professional, experienced, fitter. Will it help us, the passionate ski kooks? Not so much. How about we make skis and boots light for aging boomers... and disposable! .... now we're cook'in with gas!
Well... That does have some benefit. But really the benefit is done by the database of interior of the boot digital scans. That could have been done years ago. Even if it wasn't digital. Instead boot companies for years treated this as only a select few would get to know it.
This just highlights the epic fail that have been boot producers. Distract the buyers with silly names for features, useless gizmos, shiny buckles, and for women fuzzy liners.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
James, 90% of the boot buying public DEMANDS to be sold a boot 1+ sizes too big and a last that is no more anatomical than the box the boots shipped in. Having a computer that tells them "model X in size Y" would only prolong the inevitable purchase of a Nordica Cruise 90 in size X + 1.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
James, 90% of the boot buying public DEMANDS to be sold a boot 1+ sizes too big and a last that is no more anatomical than the box the boots shipped in. Having a computer that tells them "model X in size Y" would only prolong the inevitable purchase of a Nordica Cruise 90 in size X + 1.

Err, wait ...is that GripWalk? If we're talking about inevitability...

Sponsor

Staff online