• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@BeetleJuice Do you have video of your skiing? It may help to demonstrate the issues with your current boots to the bootfitter by showing them a video. It could get them on board with your self-assessment.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Dreamliner is nice but it is like putting a really good All-Season tire on a race car, which is what a ZB is.

Agree with this, if you were to go intuition the Plug Race, Race FX or the similar DFP models would be a better choice.

Don't know about the ZB but in consumer boots the Atomic Hawx Ultra and the Salomon Xmax have way less ankle volume for me than the Lange LV RX Boots.

If you know you want the 27.5 ZB, just buy it online discounted and pay to have it fitted. Then the fitter doesn't have to live up to the fit guarantee as you bought it elsewhere.
or just buy it locally and live without the guarantee as you seem sure that it is the boot for you.

TS
B

BeetleJuice

Booting up
Skier
Don't take this the wrong way but if I'm a bootfitter who doesn't know you I'm reading quite a lot of ego into what you are saying - you simply must have a plug boot , you are pre decided on what model and size it must be. In such circumstances I can see bfs saying "this guy is going to be too much hard work to be worth my while", particularly if you are a mission to squeeze into a size that objective measurements say is too small.

Ego!?!?! Are you kidding me? Are you even reading? I have paid lots of money to be put in the wrong boot before, and WILL NOT do it again! I guess that’s my ego! That’s funny.

I think it’s the other way around. Most bootfitters have the biggest egos in all the ski industry.

Im just a guy that knows what he wants, and none of the bootfitters want to spend the time to fit me in the smaller boot. I have tried the 28.5 route before, should I do it again and keep doing it? Waste time and money? Keep listening when the boots dont fit and I dont wanna ski in a big boot??

Ya it’s my ego stopping all this..

This times three.

For better or worse, the reality is that even though you are the "customer", and you have the money, it's very much a two-way street. A significant amount of humility and diplomacy is required on the part of the "fittee" before the fitter is going to really work for you. It takes time, effort, and honest (sometimes unflattering) self-assessment to learn how to be a "fittee." A six-pack for shop staff along the way won't hurt, when you come back to report good progress but a new hotspot.

You gotta slow down, sit down at the table, unbutton your collar, and let the chef and the sommelier talk you through what is going to make you the most happy. Let them drive the conversation. Listen more than you talk. Then, with great patience, let them do their jobs. Play with your phone. Eat a piece of bread. Have a glass of champagne. Send a photo back home. The last thing you want to do is come in with a whole long list of high-profile dishes and wines you have opinions about. They don't care. They live this stuff. You're not going to tell them much they don't already know, except insofar as how you reacted to certain things. Let them set you up. Leave them a good tip.

When you come back the next time, tell them how good x was and what you didn't like about y. Let them try again. Leave them a good tip again. Form a relationship.

That’s just wrong. It shouldn’t be like that for people who ski 100 days a year and know what theyre doing. Ya bootfitters know a lot about boots, but they don’t know ME better than I do. When they consistently sell me on 28.5 boots that are too big, I lose my patience for that dinner party your talking about.

I think olympic bootfitters in squaw will help me out. The main guy seems super nice and has no ego. We’ve already talked about grinding a 27.5 ZB, and he seems like he’d be into it. I dont have to jump through hoops, or bring him flowers lol.

The shop I went to yesterday, I will never go back. For bike or ski stuff. I’ve had enough of this. It’s not my ego that’s the problem, it’s the fitters egos. I cant even get a say in, they just all want me in a boot thats too big, and start filling it with material to take hp volume. That’s just wrong..I guess because they don’t think I ski hard enough for a performance fit. They don’t even know how I ski!!! They just assume I dont “ need” a half finger performance fit.

Literally, the fitter I spoke with the other day, was talking about how hes an ex pro, big mtn comp ski, skied with Arne Backstrom, and only someone like him needs a half finger performance fit, with boot work. And that I need 28.5 1.5 finger fit, and start filling up volume with foam.. what a joke. Talk about ego lol.

If you have been reading, I hope you don’t think my ego’s the problem at this point. I have tried the 28.5 route many times, it’s not my ego stopping me from doing it again..

TS
B

BeetleJuice

Booting up
Skier
If I had listened to the people in truckee, I would be $900 poorer, with a boot thats too big and foam stuffed into it to take up volume. That’s just insane to me.

I’ve just always been a believer in “it’s easier to make a small boot bigger, than to make a big boot smaller”

I found someone who will help me with the 27.5 ZB. Going to have to drive a little bit longer between fittings, but it seems worth it at this point.
I will check back in after it’s all said and done. I promise, I will be the first to admit I was wrong, if a stretched 27.5 doesnt fit. I will be the first to admit my ego got the best of me. I just have a really good feeling about a high performance fit with toes stretched and ground. I’ll let you guys know.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
You need to tell us shell fit space before work is done. Not fingers either. You could be Andre the Giant. Are fingers held sideways, etc. It's a stupid measurement for communicating to others. In the store by a fitter it's ok since only they need to know. Likely they'll just eyeball anyway.

Be aware that in going down a shell size, you are now more sensitive to differences in heel/toe heights. Ie ramp. Since the boot is shorter the same amount of toe drop is a greater angle. This can be a significant factor.

Also be aware that if your toes are really touching the front you will stay flexed forward to keep the toes off. This is basically an unconscious body movement. Coupled with more ramp this could put you too far forward and you'll sit back to compensate.
Everyone is different. Just know changing one thing such as length has other effects.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Ego!?!?! Are you kidding me? Are you even reading? I have paid lots of money to be put in the wrong boot before, and WILL NOT do it again! I guess that’s my ego! That’s funny.

I think it’s the other way around. Most bootfitters have the biggest egos in all the ski industry.

Im just a guy that knows what he wants, and none of the bootfitters want to spend the time to fit me in the smaller boot. I have tried the 28.5 route before, should I do it again and keep doing it? Waste time and money? Keep listening when the boots dont fit and I dont wanna ski in a big boot??

That’s just wrong. It shouldn’t be like that for people who ski 100 days a year and know what theyre doing. Ya bootfitters know a lot about boots, but they don’t know ME better than I do. When they consistently sell me on 28.5 boots that are too big, I lose my patience for that dinner party your talking about.

I think olympic bootfitters in squaw will help me out. The main guy seems super nice and has no ego. We’ve already talked about grinding a 27.5 ZB, and he seems like he’d be into it. I dont have to jump through hoops, or bring him flowers lol.

The shop I went to yesterday, I will never go back. For bike or ski stuff. I’ve had enough of this. It’s not my ego that’s the problem, it’s the fitters egos. I cant even get a say in, they just all want me in a boot thats too big, and start filling it with material to take hp volume. That’s just wrong..I guess because they don’t think I ski hard enough for a performance fit. They don’t even know how I ski!!! They just assume I dont “ need” a half finger performance fit.

Literally, the fitter I spoke with the other day, was talking about how hes an ex pro, big mtn comp ski, skied with Arne Backstrom, and only someone like him needs a half finger performance fit, with boot work. And that I need 28.5 1.5 finger fit, and start filling up volume with foam.. what a joke. Talk about ego lol.

If you have been reading, I hope you don’t think my ego’s the problem at this point. I have tried the 28.5 route many times, it’s not my ego stopping me from doing it again..

I just looked I ended up with the luxury instead of the dream liner (they look identical) but I would take the advice of others that know about plug boots. Good analogy from Phil.

The guy at Olympic is who I found to be the best as far as service for my ex. She was always having major boot issues as far as arch pain and ankle and shin problems. We went to quite a few places around north lake before we ended up there. Went back quite a few times for adjustments but in the end she couldn't have been happier with her fit. She always made appointments but this time of year I can imagine walk ins are welcome

Good luck

James

Out There
Instructor
You've been around a bunch, tried different boots and sizes. Just go for the 27 shell plug. Forget about "fit guarantee". Boots are a pita. It may work fine. You just need to see it through though. It's going to take a bunch of work. It may not all come together till the end. Or you could decide it is not worth it to continue.

Don't forget to burn incense, have your tarot cards read, and make some sort of offering to the gods before seeing the bootfitter. Afai can tell, that's what it takes.

I would suggest you keep track of the modifications as you go. Write it down. Gives you something to do. When you go back this could save time as it reminds the fitter what was done.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Hmm.. if that's the vibe you've been giving off wandering into shops cashed up then I'm not surprised you've had some first refusals. Not saying it's right, I had some big problems with some boot tweaks done at a very reputable shop in Truckee where the fitter went off on his own programme and screwed the shell for me Fortunately bossman reversed the damage.

Anyway now you've found a guy that will work with you congrats and keep us posted on the ups & downs of your mods.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Hi, I'm XXXXXXX, I've had some previous fit issues and heard you were the person to see, do you have a few to chat? Great.

In the past I was placed in boot A, boot B and boot C. Boot A had these mods done and hurt or caused an xx condition. Boot B had xx done and still caused xx. Boot C was just a disaster.

I was considering a plug boot or something that fit like my old boot X. I was looking at a lange zb plug and I'm ok with the cost and time to fit, or do you have suggestions on what current boot fits like the last boot I had good luck with?

VS.

Here's my cash, fit me for a Lange ZB.

Which conversation would you prefer to be a part of?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
1772E5EE-54C6-42D3-BF9E-7968F19047DE.jpeg
Color me intrigued - care to elaborate?

They are either free, racer priced or not for you.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
There's a good reason cork super feet are gone (not to mention that the unlikelihood of a 15-20 y.o. Foot bed is still a valid fit.. feet change over time) and that rock hard injectable foams aren't used any more. Francois, you really need to stop talking about unavailable and decades old gear.
LOL, I'm not suggesting OP find a hot tub time machine and go get an antique boot fitted by the fitter who makes boots for his WC winning national team members.

I'm merely suggesting that he get the proper length boot, get some custom foamed boots and footbeds made, and providing anecdotal proof that foam along a good footbed and proper fitting will hold the heel in place (not to mention that I recently had my and boots re-assessed and perfectly set up by one of the best boot fitters in Ontario:P).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm merely suggesting that he get the proper length boot, get some custom foamed boots and footbeds made, and providing anecdotal proof that foam along a good footbed and proper fitting will hold the heel in place

Sure Foot?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Sure Foot?
I don't know what would be the modern equivalent of (or improvement over) my old liners, but Sure Foot is a contender. The key, as explained to me was that the custom foam could be made with different amounts of foam - a little foam for a comfy soft fit, or a lot of foam for instant transmission with no give and a stiffer over-all boot flex. That's where a good fitter comes in. And the liner might still need some modification after the foam has set and the boots skied hard for a few days. Choosing what custom foam liner to use is also where a good fitter comes in.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That is the standard procedure for Sure Foot.
(01) Sell the customer a set of foot bed.
(02) Stick customer's foot in boot.
(03) Fill boot with foam.
(04) Done. Another "satisfied customer."

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
That is the standard procedure for Sure Foot.
(01) Sell the customer a set of foot bed.
(02) Stick customer's foot in boot.
(03) Fill boot with foam.
(04) Done. Another "satisfied customer."

Sadly true... the footbed I would say is more 'semi-custom'. Good business model though.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January