• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Well this trail looks "fun"

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any idea what kind of pitches are on this?
Not really all that bad ;) I have been riding most of these trails (and some more) some 2 or 3 weeks ago and they are fun to ride, but main problem are not super steep or super technical downhills, but endless climbs. 1000+ height meters of ascend (what's that 3000feet?) in single 10km climb is pretty much standard thing, and you have some 2-4 climbs like this on every stage, so it gets "a bit" demanding, but downhills are normally ok. Still a bit challenging on xc bike, but nothings unridable, even if your seat is 10cm above handlebar like mine is, and you have "only" 100mm suspension front and rear :D

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My guess is most people never descend at 22 percent

I'll take your word that the trail is a sob but the first video does not look that steep. Also have to be careful with percent/degrees.

This short section that I ride 3 times a week measured at 30 degrees with an app.

20190724_164409.jpg

Capture.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not really all that bad ;) I have been riding most of these trails (and some more) some 2 or 3 weeks ago and they are fun to ride, but main problem are not super steep or super technical downhills, but endless climbs. 1000+ height meters of ascend (what's that 3000feet?) in single 10km climb is pretty much standard thing, and you have some 2-4 climbs like this on every stage, so it gets "a bit" demanding, but downhills are normally ok. Still a bit challenging on xc bike, but nothings unridable, even if your seat is 10cm above handlebar like mine is, and you have "only" 100mm suspension front and rear :D
Thanks for the feedback, I was curious.
...not curious enough to do it, though ;)

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm in MA but some of the stuff in Waterbury VT is a lot harder than my 30 degrees shot. I probably would get hurt on your second video.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Both videos are the same trail

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
What is the percentage grade of expert DH tracks? (espcially old school gnar)? I'm not sure how to compare this, but I'm pretty sure I can ride the trail in this video...nope, not like the featured pro rider, and yes, I'd want to be on my big bike with a full face helmet and armor, but I've navigated Trail 8 at Plattekill (btw, for anyone who really wants to see how good of a rider they really are, hit up Plattekill on one those rare weekend they still open...prepare to be humbled, I always walk away with the painful humility of a Buddhist monk) and similar rough runs elsewhere (on an enduro bike, even) whose grades are way over 22%, and ride steep runs all over Thunder Mountain on a weekly basis, not always on the DH rig either.

I am blown away by the seamless lines the above rider follows, I'd admit I tend to roughly navigate trails like this more than I can really say I 'ride' them. Fun video. Great riding.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the percentage grade of expert DH tracks? (espcially old school gnar)? I'm not sure how to compare this, but I'm pretty sure I can ride the trail in this video...nope, not like the featured pro rider, and yes, I'd want to be on my big bike with a full face helmet and armor, but I've navigated Trail 8 at Plattekill (btw, for anyone who really wants to see how good of a rider they really are, hit up Plattekill on one those rare weekend they still open...prepare to be humbled, I always walk away with the painful humility of a Buddhist monk) and similar rough runs elsewhere (on an enduro bike, even) whose grades are way over 22%, and ride steep runs all over Thunder Mountain on a weekly basis, not always on the DH rig either.

I am blown away by the seamless lines the above rider follows, I'd admit I tend to roughly navigate trails like this more than I can really say I 'ride' them. Fun video. Great riding.
Being humbled comes naturally to me :)

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

so I have not rode with you, but from what trails you like I can gather you are at least quite a capable rider. So one thing to keep in mind is the Gopro 1st person video is hiding a ton of steepness and also hiding how much fall consequence there is, that why I found funny when wilhmerson said he would not ride the 2nd video but would ride the first video which are actually the same trail.

So I have kinda of become obsessed with these BC style trails at least the ones with out wood work, I have also watch a ton of videos of it since I posted this video and the thread become controversial. So it turns out the steep sections have go arounds. but the bottom chute and and the second chute shown in the 3rd person video do not. There are also sheer faces and gap jumps that may have go arounds but I i havent see them. Again I havent rode with you but your like Perry Hill and terrain looks like Perry on Steriods.

So I dont know, go to Pemberton and go ride it. Worst case you walk some section. I mean I am fairly certain I could ride 90 percent of the trail as well but I tend to scare easily in exposure on a bike(not so much on skis) and honestly I love chunk but hate if I have to crawl just to ride.

I know I am not that Gnar, I am fairly skilled and pretty fast when I feel comfortable, and me saying that no one on this site was not a case if oh I dont think I can so nobody can. Hell I only ride with 3 people from this site, and I know one of them is way fast on loose DH than me, when its twisty and pumpy I am usually quicker...... I am nowhere near the rider I am the skier.

again when you make it up this way, I can show you the local trail that are more like Pemberton than Perry hill is like Pemberton.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
so I have not rode with you, but from what trails you like I can gather you are at least quite a capable rider. So one thing to keep in mind is the Gopro 1st person video is hiding a ton of steepness and also hiding how much fall consequence there is, that why I found funny when wilhmerson said he would not ride the 2nd video but would ride the first video which are actually the same trail.

So I have kinda of become obsessed with these BC style trails at least the ones with out wood work, I have also watch a ton of videos of it since I posted this video and the thread become controversial. So it turns out the steep sections have go arounds. but the bottom chute and and the second chute shown in the 3rd person video do not. There are also sheer faces and gap jumps that may have go arounds but I i havent see them. Again I havent rode with you but your like Perry Hill and terrain looks like Perry on Steriods.

So I dont know, go to Pemberton and go ride it. Worst case you walk some section. I mean I am fairly certain I could ride 90 percent of the trail as well but I tend to scare easily in exposure on a bike(not so much on skis) and honestly I love chunk but hate if I have to crawl just to ride.

I know I am not that Gnar, I am fairly skilled and pretty fast when I feel comfortable, and me saying that no one on this site was not a case if oh I dont think I can so nobody can. Hell I only ride with 3 people from this site, and I know one of them is way fast on loose DH than me, when its twisty and pumpy I am usually quicker...... I am nowhere near the rider I am the skier.

again when you make it up this way, I can show you the local trail that are more like Pemberton than Perry hill is like Pemberton.

No, you're right, until I see it in person I couldn't make any true guarantee I'd ride it (or at least not opt for the Sally lines-but even now, there are some days on trails I ride regularly I opt for the Sally line!).

Talked my boy Matt he says he loves Cady Falls, too and echoed almost all of your general assessments, so I'm looking to get up there in the next month.

I've love to get out to Pemberton, I've only ridden greater Rossland in BC (Near Red...it's Epic and awesome, btw).
The Hardest thing is finding terrain like that to practice on before going, which is where Bike Parks with legit DH trails can be a lot of help (Like Plattekill, and even parts of my home hill Thunder Mountain), We have a new trail opening soon called Cliff Huxtable (great name, right? though in light of recent events they may switch it to Cliff Clavin...) You can link it with a trail called Upper Wine Tree/ Magic Carpet and if you take all the Double Black options it serves up a series of impressively steep, long and sometimes jagged medium consequence rollers--It might make a reasonable approximation of Bad ass BC trails, or at least give you chances to session similar terrain.

Does Sugarbush have any DH trails like this...I've Never Been?

Oh, ever ridden Lynn Woods? You know our own 'North Shore' has miles of most sphincter tightening terrain in the North East. I haven't been in a few years, but the gnar there intimidates me more than anything else I've ridden.

So....Vernal, Utah, is worth visiting...good to know!

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I honestly do like Lift services riding so beside Burke and Highland I have never been anywhere else. My Trance always feel like its going to die riding lifts it. I may make the move to get some DH gear and slightly burly bike eventually but the thing is the closest DH riding to me is burke and that is still an hour drive. There is 100 miles of great trail with in an hour of my house. ton if in 20 minute drive.

and yeah I never rode those trail is Mass.....

I think there a couple place I ride that honestly are like BC riding. You ve been there you can tell me after you ride them. They are just going to be WAY shorter in length.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Oh, ever ridden Lynn Woods? You know our own 'North Shore' has miles of most sphincter tightening terrain in the North East. I haven't been in a few years, but the gnar there intimidates me more than anything else I've ridden.

Boston's North Shore technical single tracks are where I run (slowly). Yes, gnar.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Just a quick visit to pugcycle, but this does remind me a bit of the old you Bushwacker... ? Nobody can do that... no way. members here suck.
(Edit, before I wrote this, I had just read the inflammatory ones about dawgcatching dying and only pros riding this trail and nobody here.... I felt the more balanced Josh again in post 28 and 31... :) )

No dawgcatching is a great pedaler with a surreal engine and a good mt bike rider, but he wouldn't be interested in that as he isn't into crashing.
Tyrone/aka Ron is also a good rider, I raced with him at downieville way back, but I don't know where his techy skills fall, on skis he's amazing though!

but,

As my brother used to say when looking at a tough line as a pro downhiller, "a watermelon could do that", and that's true of the steep gully line from the last video.
It's not that techy, just steep. Committed, yes, do you need to a pro, I bet not. You need to feel like crashes don't hurt you and you are tough and balanced with good braking skills. Neither of those guys riding that short section are pros, they are 20 somethings w/ a handful of years riding bikes by the look of them. The guy from the POV has pro skills though, and would drop those other guys in seconds I bet.

I would guess that there are 1000 riders riding in my backyard at northstar today who would ride that trail, and there will be 1000's more in a couple weeks when the ews is here.

Anyway, riding is fun, steep stuff is committed, and crashing sucks...
Next year someone is going to ride up that trail on a fricking ebike probably :)...

Cheers!
W

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January