• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Well this trail looks "fun"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty cool but it reminds me how slow I ride, LOL.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah to be fair there is not a single pugskier who would ride this trail let alone ride it at the speed of this KOM.

[URL]https://www.strava.com/segments/18135980?fbclid=IwAR0MMBhqCK2_uaF7GcqWx-HUv5B8ssG7GHxSG2R2DJB2LeMEs-M3NTcddeU[/URL]

the average pitch is 22 percent. With many point over 30 and the crux move being at 47 percent. 47 percent is crazy. My guess is most people never descend at 22 percent let alone average 22 percent for an entire pitch.

To put in perspective the scariest thing I ride some what regularly has an average pitch 19 percent and tops out at 35 percent. Going as slow as I can go down it still feels too fast.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1094560337/segments/26943548292

its also laughable short compared to Cop killer.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
the average pitch is 22 percent. With many point over 30 and the crux move being at 47 percent. 47 percent is crazy
What is Smuggler's Notch (i.e, the road) at its steepest points? 25% or so?

I've descended Hurricane Mountain Road (between North Conway, NH and NothingVille, ME). That felt suicidal; I think the sign up top there says 17% for a mile or so?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yeah to be fair there is not a single pugskier who would ride this trail
I know of at least one Pugski member who is a pro rider.
I'm guessing he'd ride it ;)

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I know of at least one Pugski member who is a pro rider.
I'm guessing he'd ride it ;)

Id bet money. Not trying to be a jerk. These pitches would be steep to ski, MTBing them with out getting off is something I am guessing a couple thousand people in the world could do and not one of those people post here. unless he is pro enduro or pro DH or Pro freerider they are not riding this, if you mean Dawgcatching....not a chance. He would literally die. I would actually bet money he would die and I would never want him to ride it, it would damage his road career...and honestly he would never attempt to ride this. So curious who is the pro Enduro rider that would ride this on pugski?

I think you guys dont get how tech ,steep the fall exposure this trail is.

honestly PM the person the video and strava segement. If they are truly great maybe they rode it. I think its telling on strava 79 people have rode Cop Killer, where as the majority of trails in pemberton have anywhere from 2500-3500 riders on them. its a marked on a map sanctioned trail. I am guessing there is a reason only 79 people on strava have rode it.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
What is Smuggler's Notch (i.e, the road) at its steepest points? 25% or so?

I've descended Hurricane Mountain Road (between North Conway, NH and NothingVille, ME). That felt suicidal; I think the sign up top there says 17% for a mile or so?

Using strava Steepest pitch in the notch road is 11 percent..... averages 6 percent from Jeff and about 8 percent from stowe.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Well I know of one Dude. Marshall, but even then I am not sure he would ride all of it.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Josh, re: percent grade, Notch tops out at 24%. I've been flagging lot of trail this year and am taking great interest in grades, so just as an example, the climb up the double track in Strawberry Hill Farm has pitches of 30%. I'll bet that the descent on Sphincter hits 30 (though I haven't measured). The new trail above Kimmer's hits 18-20% a few times. 47% - that's crazy, but I'd bet you've ridden cool down or two that approaches that. Not saying Cop Killer is easy or that I could do it. Just saying the grades aren't what you think.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any idea what kind of pitches are on this?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's (part of) the World Cup DH track at Mont Sainte Anne. Apparently Greg Minnaar has a Strava account.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7864132
The member here that I was thinking about just completed the Transalp. @RonShev
He used to race single speed.
I looked up his Strava for shits and giggles and this is the snapshot of our side by side comparison. Its humbling to say the least.
His is on the right, mine left - just in case you wondered :D
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 4.37.38 AM.png

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
You confuse pro pedaling with pro bike handling Ron isn’t known for his technical riding skill

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I was younger and still had a warranty on the body, I’d give it a go, now I understand the consequences of an error and I’ll pass.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah you wouldnt.......