• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Welcome to the world of cycling

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The flipside of that expectation is that they are buying a bike that "fits" them, you know, once they've adjusted the seatpost of course. I expect at minimum to adjust the fore/aft of the seat, possibly adding an offset seatpost, and to at least consider replacing the stem.

Except that even that level of miniscule hyper-differentiation doesn't guarantee fit - unless the rider happens to be one of those for whom geometry doesn't really matter.
And if geometry doesn't matter, then why not expand the search field?

I am building a, lets call it a gravel grinder for lack of a better term (although I may never ride it on gravel). I put 180cm crankset on it (I'm 6'2" and long legged at that) and fitted it up with a set of rims w/ 25mm tires I had lying around, just to eyeball it. Bottom of cranks were a little low to the eye. Forcing me see just how large of tires I could get on it . . . 35mm fits! Its a jamis coda sport frame, a nice, cheap modern Reynolds frame. Codas are normally flatbar, but the frame is literally identical to Jamis' drop bar bike, which is what i plan to do. Can't wait to ride it. Won't be fast as lightning, but oughta be smooooooooth.

The first Codas were dropbar CX bikes, back before flatbar + road geometry was even a thing (outside Bridgestone and Rivendell catalogues) - it surprises me not one bit that a CX-width tire fits.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's important to note that too long a crank can physically damage you. Too short and you simply don't generate as much torque. A longer crank means you have a larger range of motion to go through to complete the pedal circle. .
z

+ longer crank = bigger shift outwards of the foot between 6 o'clock and 12o'clock.

Except for the fortunate ones for whom hip width = pedal-pedal width.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Today 3 June 2020 is World Cycling Day. I didn't find a thread for it so I just posted it here. So go out and have a great ride today.

Sponsor

Staff online