• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Welcome to our new home

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What's the difference between new posts and recent posts?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The ads shouldn't have movement. :huh:

Keep in mind that the ad placement and style have not been refined on this new platform. They will get better. I promise!
What I mean by movement is if a company has an advertisement and it flashes all it's products one at a time through the advertisement. This really slows the loading on my phone.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the difference between new posts and recent posts?

I don't think there is one right now.... at first, I thought "recent posts" was everything, whether you'd viewed it or not, and "new posts" was only unread/unviewed things. That probably needs to be fixed.

If you click on either New Posts or Recent Posts, there is another menu near the top of the post list that has "What's New", and "New Posts" option. These work the way I stated above - "What's New" is everything recent whether you've looked at it or not, "New Posts" on that menu is only unread items.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What I mean by movement is if a company has an advertisement and it flashes all it's products one at a time through the advertisement. This really slows the loading on my phone.
Hmm... I don't see this. Some ads have arrows that let you browse items, or that change the items every few seconds. But I haven't seen one scrolling or moving or flashing everything at once.

What device and browser?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Low on the priority list but at some point are you going to add back the 'location' under the avatar? It's nice to know who my fellow east coast skiers are with a glance.
I believe that is on the list, as well as post count.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Love the upgrade, but does it come with a mobile app? That would be awesome. If you do go with a mobile app you should connect with the guy who built the slopes app to see if there is a way for all Pug Ski members could pool there data from multiple ski trips think of it as a virtual map of where everyone Pugski has skied in a given year complete down to individual runs, speeds and feeds. Could be kind of cool to show the collective totals.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
FYI here is what they just released on the slopes app for social inclusion and group skiing … etc. could make for an interesting view into the world of Pugski skiers. Just imagine if everyone on Pugski were friends on slopes :)

This release is the beginning of a more social era of Slopes, one all about friends and groups who ride together. But don't worry: Slopes going social is about your real life friends, focusing on privacy + reflecting your real experience on the mountain. There are no public profiles, no public leaderboard to game, no “find me on Slopes” usernames or email lookup. No stalkers or “engagement hacks” here!

• Add your real-life friends on Slopes to have some friendly competitions with private season and monthly leaderboards.
  • Who you rode with is an important part of the story of a day, so now you can tag your friends in recordings. Doing so will let you compare stats for that day in-app (these comparisons are aggregated on a daily basis, so if you made two recordings they're summed together). If you organize your recordings into trips these stat comparisons are rolled up there, too.
  • Tagging between friends happens automatically when you're online. Once both of you sync your activity to the Slopes servers they'll notice if you both shared a lift together (+/- a few chairs), and automatically do the tagging for you. Best of all this automatic lift detection is also done when you initially friend someone in Slopes, too. It'll check your histories for overlap and apply the tags (will take a minutes to process).
  • A new “versus” share card to show off your victory against a tagged friend for the day.
  • New feature for Slopes Premium users: when you've tagged someone in a day their avatar will zip around along side yours in the timeline view and 3d view. Note: reasonable privacy checks are in play here so you can't make a manual activity for a day just to spy on one of your friends that actually did record.
  • People sharing a Household Pass are automatically friended (and while you share the pass you've gotta remain friends).
  • You can search activities by people you've tagged.
  • By popular request the Trip Pass is back. The flexibility of the Day Pass Bundle just didn't prove as useful as I had hoped it would be. My bad.
  • Individual Annual Passes and the individual Trip Pass now get 2 free Day Passes to share with a friend. Share the love!
  • There are new bundles of Trip Passes; save some money by going in together with friends. Pick up a 4-pack to share and 3 friends will owe you some drinks at dinner. Check out the new Group Discounts section of the buy pass screen.
  • New merchandise: color enamel pins, a double-diamond shirt, refreshed black hoodie, and a 2019/20 season exclusive -- a sticker of that retro Slopes icon y'all love so much.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hmm... I don't see this. Some ads have arrows that let you browse items, or that change the items every few seconds. But I haven't seen one scrolling or moving or flashing everything at once.

What device and browser?
The ones that change every few seconds is what I mean as movement. They slow my phone down when loading. The OS is Windows 8.2 using MS Edge as a browser.

James

Out There
Instructor
Please to put on the to do list:
At the top of the page-
can we get the thread page number and ability to navigate pages back?
It's quite annoying to follow a link to the top of a page, then have to sctoll all the way down to go backwards.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Please to put on the to do list:
At the top of the page-
can we get the thread page number and ability to navigate pages back?
It's quite annoying to follow a link to the top of a page, then have to sctoll all the way down to go backwards.
Mobile?

James

Out There
Instructor
Not really, because it is that way on desktop.
Was kidding. Good to know things are consistent. They forgot a lugnut on the new wheel.
Now, I bet you have a phone on your desktop...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a phone and it always fun to see how others interact with the site. The number of times I have hit a previous page in a thread is probably less then 10 in 4 years.

That is the fun of development for the masses. (unless you are on IE less than 10, rotary phone of the internet. :) )

James

Out There
Instructor
Have a phone and it always fun to see how others interact with the site. The number of times I have hit a previous page in a thread is probably less then 10 in 4 years.

That is the fun of development for the masses. (unless you are on IE less than 10, rotary phone of the internet. :) )
Lol, I've hit <previous page> probably 10 times between last night and today.