• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't gone to a workshop yet, just doing digital, but maybe I need to get into a workshop when they open here and see if that kicks my plateau.
Here's a fun fact.
The closest workshop to my house is here:
WW Studio Reno
6135 Lakeside Dr Ste 111
RENO, NV 89511
A pretty good pizza place is here:
Smiling With Hope Pizza
Address
6135 Lakeside Dr
Unit 101
Reno, NV 89519
United States

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This is really good information. Thanks for sharing that.

Have your doctor prescribe a glucose meter. Set-up a spread sheet. Track what you eat. Stick yourself an hour after eating every time that you eat. Record the results for a week.

This is the only way that you will know if you experience an insulin spike. We are all a study of one. Some people experience a spike from plain, stone ground oatmeal. Me: Eating a pint of ice cream has the same effect on my insulin as eating a piece of salmon.

Without data... you don't know, what you don't know.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have your doctor prescribe a glucose meter. Set-up a spread sheet. Track what you eat. Stick yourself an hour after eating every time that you eat. Record the results for a week.

This is the only way that you will know if you experience an insulin spike. We are all a study of one. Some people experience a spike from plain, stone ground oatmeal. Me: Eating a pint of ice cream has the same effect on my insulin as eating a piece of salmon.

Without data... you don't know, what you don't know.
I actually had a glucose meter and used it for several years after being diagnosed with hypoglycemia. (32 years ago)
The meter got old and I got lazy about using it.
What I do know about my glucose levels is that they run low and are affected dramatically when I consume a lot of starchy and/or sugary foods, which is why I tend to eat a lot more protien than I do sugar.
Now, fruits.....I love fruit and probably eat too much in relation to sugar.

The good news is, I don't have the sweet tooth that I used to have for refined sugar things like donuts, cake, etc.
Now...ice cream....thats my weekness.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't been tracking but I have been maintaining my weight, I have been hovering between 185-188 for the past 6 months. I do believe if I did track (or was more diligent) I could get down into the low 180's. All and all I am happy with the 20+ lb I lost since last summer. I am concerned come fall that some of the jeans I bought might be a bit snug if I don't drop the other 5lb.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually had a glucose meter and used it for several years after being diagnosed with hypoglycemia. (32 years ago)
I am not hypoglycemic but I do go sugar low and it is the worst feeling I have every experienced. It feels like a massive anxiety attack and my brain just stops working, When I was still teaching, I kept a bag of grapes because I could eat those and keep teaching. They would stabilize my sugar pretty quick. I always explained it to my students on the first day of the school year so they would understand. They would know I was going low before I did because I would get super ditzy. Usually someone would raise a hand and suggest I eat some grapes.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not hypoglycemic but I do go sugar low and it is the worst feeling I have every experienced. It feels like a massive anxiety attack and my brain just stops working, When I was still teaching, I kept a bag of grapes because I could eat those and keep teaching. They would stabilize my sugar pretty quick. I always explained it to my students on the first day of the school year so they would understand. They would know I was going low before I did because I would get super ditzy. Usually someone would raise there hand and suggest I eat some grapes.
My history with hypoglycemia includes enimia, which is what convinced me to go to the doctor to find out what was going on when I was 20 years old. Then I had a 5 hr glucose tolerance test that was halted after 3 hrs because I fainted at the hospital and recorded a low blood sugar of 29. I got on track for several years with diet alone until I was in my late 30s, which is when I was with some friends on a bike ride. While we were loading our bikes after the ride I said, "I feel like I need to eat something" That was the last thing I rememebered before waking up in an emergency room with a friend I rode with. The doctor said my glucose level was (again) 29 when I arrived and I needed to be diligent about my diet. I hadn't let my guard down on my diet but as aging and lifestyle changes, so does the need to figure it out.

I have a couple more instances where my low blood sugar has been a major factor, but mostly ...Phil sometimes knows before I do. If you are skiing with me and you hear Phil say,..."Tricia, you need some food." you'll know. ;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I decided to start the month of August by switching to Purple.
The only real difference is that there are 100 more zero point foods, most of which are root vegetables, and my daily points dropped from 23/day to 16/day.
Other than adding potatoes to my diet, I really don't see much of a difference in my daily food intake other than eating less because of the drop in points.
I also am taking a break from booze for the first week. I think I may do that monthly, take the first week of each month off from drinking.

We'll see how this goes.
I weighed in at 140.2 this morning.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a couple more instances where my low blood sugar has been a major factor, but mostly ...Phil sometimes knows before I do. If you are skiing with me and you hear Phil say,..."Tricia, you need some food." you'll know. ;)
Yes, I am like a good service dog. ;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is no doubt in my mind that my weight gain is a direct result of a bartender who pours heavy. That would be me.
One of the things I was really good about was measuring my booze intake when I joined WW a year ago.
I've gotten lazy about that and I know I've been drinking more than my daily points with the mindset of..."Eh...I have lots of weeklies left. Pour another."
:rocks:

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the things I was really good about was measuring my booze intake when I joined WW a year ago.
I've gotten lazy about that and I know I've been drinking more than my daily points with the mindset of..."Eh...I have lots of weeklies left. Pour another."
:rocks:
Our bartender has a heavy hand, too!
It's good to know that I am not the only one suffering with a heavy handed bartender! ;)

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Can those on the new WW program inform me how it differs from the program of about 7+ years ago? My dear gf has battled her weight most of her adult life, but lost 35 lbs on the older plan. Since retiring 2 1/2 yrs ago (went to the company gym's exercise classes 3× a week) and less activity from Covid sheltering, her weight has increased to 15 lbs over her pre-WW heaviest. Overall, she's pretty healthy, but unhappy with herself over her weigh
I've gently suggested that, since she had success on the old plan, maybe the new plan might suit her. I know enough not to pressure her, but I'd like to know about the ins and outs of the "new" WW and how it might work for her.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 8.48.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 8.48.42 PM.png
The new WW really just offers more options than the old program. I believe the old program was still points based (it's before my time but my teaching partner was using it). The new program has three color coded options depending on the preference of the user. The blue program is pretty much the the traditional WW. The other 2 programs restrict some things more and allow others. It comes down to the difference between 0 point foods and smart point foods. It's all about what the individual wants to enjoy and to sacrifice (or enjoy rarely) for a satisfactory way of living. Personally, I like blue which was the original approach. It's balanced and works for me. I think @Tricia just switched to purple and can speak to that reasoning. In the end, it depends what your gf wants to do. For me, 200+zero points food is plenty. I struggle with wanting my carbs and my daily cocktail and blue allows that.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 8.47.58 PM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hopefully Pat explained it well enough for you.
I don't have experience with the old plan but I really like the current plan with the options based on your lifestyle.

You don't feel deprived of anything you want, you just stay within the points and it gives you extra points for physical activity.

I'm not sure what your physical fitness is like, or if you feel like you could lose a few lbs, but perhaps you can entice your wife by talking to her about how you want a better Wellness Wins plan in your own life and ask her to join with you. Just a thought.
Also, in case you missed it earlier in the thread, if you get a code from one of us who is a member, you get a free month as well as the person who gives you the code.

When Phil and I started doing this together it made a huge difference to me. We encouraged each other to hike, mt bike and competed with each other on who got their 10,000 steps a day first.

Again,...just a thought.

Can those on the new WW program inform me how it differs from the program of about 7+ years ago? My dear gf has battled her weight most of her adult life, but lost 35 lbs on the older plan. Since retiring 2 1/2 yrs ago (went to the company gym's exercise classes 3× a week) and less activity from Covid sheltering, her weight has increased to 15 lbs over her pre-WW heaviest. Overall, she's pretty healthy, but unhappy with herself over her weigh
I've gently suggested that, since she had success on the old plan, maybe the new plan might suit her. I know enough not to pressure her, but I'd like to know about the ins and outs of the "new" WW and how it might work for her.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Tricia 's posts reminded me of a couple of low blood sugar incidents ~40 years ago, both where I passed out after strenuous exercise. These days, too high blood sugar is the bigger risk.

Recognizing Low Blood Sugar
Know how to tell when your blood sugar is getting low. Symptoms include:

• Weakness or feeling tired
  • Shaking
  • Sweating
  • Headache
  • Hunger
  • Feeling uneasy, nervous, or anxious
  • Feeling cranky
  • Trouble thinking clearly
  • Double or blurry vision
  • Fast or pounding heartbeat
Sometimes your blood sugar may be too low even if you do not have symptoms. If it gets too low, you may:
  • Faint
  • Have a seizure
  • Go into a coma

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hopefully Pat explained it well enough for you.
I don't have experience with the old plan but I really like the current plan with the options based on your lifestyle.

You don't feel deprived of anything you want, you just stay within the points and it gives you extra points for physical activity.

I'm not sure what your physical fitness is like, or if you feel like you could lose a few lbs, but perhaps you can entice your wife by talking to her about how you want a better Wellness Wins plan in your own life and ask her to join with you. Just a thought.
Also, in case you missed it earlier in the thread, if you get a code from one of us who is a member, you get a free month as well as the person who gives you the code.

When Phil and I started doing this together it made a huge difference to me. We encouraged each other to hike, mt bike and competed with each other on who got their 10,000 steps a day first.

Again,...just a thought.
Thanks, Tricia and Pat for the info. When she first started WW, everything had a point value. Shortly after, veggies and most fruits became 0 pts. There were then more changes and complications in the computations, and she lost her motivation in sticking to the plan. Perhaps with more zero point options and the ability to choose favorite foods, the new plans will appeal to her.
I'm sure it's easier with a "buddy", but my weight is fine and we eat different foods and on different schedules. I try very hard not to be a bad influence in terms buying or having less than healthy snacks and treats in the house. She had been more active until her zumba and jazzercise studio and water aerobics pool closed here (NJ) because of the pandemic. Walking is something we do together when the heat and humidity subside.
Thanks again, and I will delicately suggest she check out the new WW.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny that this thread has come to life recently. My diet buddy and I just started an effort to lose the Covid 5 (or 6 or 7!) Today is the second day and it's a real challenge.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Well... it's been a couple of weeks and I'm pleased to report that my Covid-7 has been reduced to my Covid-3. A couple of more weeks and maybe I'll achieve my Covid minus one.

Though I have to admit that I got tired of dieting and today I am supporting my favorite Chinese restaurant. Hot and sour soup followed by spicy Chili shrimp and just a bit of rice.

I am eating slowly and savoring every bite.

Sponsor

Staff online