• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The good thing is it's quick to lose holiday/vacation weight if you get on it right away. I'm back down to my plateau weight and hoping to break through that before our next vacation which is at the end of January.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thoughts on most acurate scale?
Does not need to be bluetooth or very "fancy" - just consistantly precise.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use this one and it seems darn close to the scale at my doc's office. I say darn close because at the doctor's I weigh in fully clothed and with shoes on. Either way, the scale is consistent which is good enough for tracking weight loss/gain.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used a coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond and got this one for my birthday last September.
I like it because it's thin enough that I can pack it if I travel for a long period of time.
I'm not paranoid about my weight when I travel but having a scale when I'm on the road for a month helps keep me on track.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been so so good, but today on my way home from the shop I was craving tater tots so I stopped at the store and got some. Soooooo good.
Some times ya gotta stick your face in a bowl of food like that.
Tomorrow I'm back at it.
I just checked my tracking for the day and I'm only getting into my weeklies by 7 points. Not bad.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thoughts on most acurate scale?
Does not need to be bluetooth or very "fancy" - just consistantly precise.

I never worried greatly about a scale if it's name brand. Otherwise I'd check to see if it lists it's accuracy. Scales today are pretty good and once you pick one up, compare it to another one or two you know to be accurate.

Nice thing is it's easy to return most items these days.

One item to note, one I picked up has one feature some don't like, it retains the previous reading and if the current one is within .2lbs (~3oz) , it simply shows original. The thought here is that .2lbs is below the accuracy of unit so .. it's really a don't care.

One can check too, I find this oddly fun and somewhat weird I find it humorous .. but weigh yourself before you pee, then after, the scale should be able to discern the change in weight.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From CNN story I read .... interesting but most the food I like would be skipped
Food shopping based on your DNA
DnaNudge is offering consumers a novel way to make healthier choices when grocery shopping by basing it on their DNA.
The concept: At the supermarket, customers take a DNA test on the spot via a saliva swab. Then using a wearable band, they can scan food products in the store to see what's best for them based on their genetic makeup. For example, if the results showed a number of genes that are associated with high cholesterol and high blood pressure, the company predicts that person's health could be highly affected by excess salt in their diet, so dry roasted peanuts wouldn't be a healthy snack choice for them.
The band also monitors the person's physical activity — or lack thereof — and will update its food recommendations accordingly.
The UK-based company has been testing the concept in London since November 2018 and is launching in the United States this year.
The company also takes steps to protect user privacy. For example, when the DNA test is finished, the cartridge containing the sample is destroyed

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From CNN story I read .... interesting but most the food I like would be skipped
Food shopping based on your DNA
DnaNudge is offering consumers a novel way to make healthier choices when grocery shopping by basing it on their DNA.
The concept: At the supermarket, customers take a DNA test on the spot via a saliva swab. Then using a wearable band, they can scan food products in the store to see what's best for them based on their genetic makeup. For example, if the results showed a number of genes that are associated with high cholesterol and high blood pressure, the company predicts that person's health could be highly affected by excess salt in their diet, so dry roasted peanuts wouldn't be a healthy snack choice for them.
The band also monitors the person's physical activity — or lack thereof — and will update its food recommendations accordingly.
The UK-based company has been testing the concept in London since November 2018 and is launching in the United States this year.
The company also takes steps to protect user privacy. For example, when the DNA test is finished, the cartridge containing the sample is destroyed
Just checking in on this thread and saw this post from a while back.
That's definitely interesting. Crazy to think of how you can change your health with a saliva swab.

Anyway, @Philpug and I were on a 3 week long road trip to cover industry trade shows and ski tests. I was a bit cautious because I have some bad travel snack eating habits and I like to graze when I'm in a ski house with friends.

I'm not quite sure how I managed to stay on track, but I did and arrived home to find the scale tipping in at 132.2.

I did quite a bit of video of my skiing while in Colorado and worked on some of my bad habits. Things are just easier to do when you're not carrying that extra 20 lbs around.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got back from Jackson Hole with a 5 lb weight gain.
Time to get back on track. :doh:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our ski house, for which we bought most of the groceries had lots of chicken wings, mac-n-cheese, chicken pot pie, chicken curry, brisket, tater tots...you get the idea.
I did track some of the time (but not consistently) and watched my portions, but I also had a few après sessions where I ate between meals(didn't track après) which is something I hadn't done much while doing WW since June.
I also skied and logged nearly 400 activity points. So, I was hungry with a capital H when I got off the snow.
Oh, and I drank a fair amount. :rocks:
I picked up a little over 2 during a business trip last week, so I’m in the same boat. I’ll get it this week though.
I'm in Val Thorens at a Club Med ... need I say more?

At least we have each other.
Back to fish and vegetables.

Edit to add:
Even though I gained a few lbs at the Gathering, I skied longer days than I have in the past few years and I had legs left at the end of every day.
There are members here who hadn't seen this thread or realized that I/we had lost weight so we got several compliments and many questions about how it may have changed our skiing.
For me, it increased my stamina in a huge way.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, I was up too. I stopped tracking a few months ago and I was staying between 182-185 (which I am very OK with). When I got back from Jackson, I was 189.6 :geek:, I am just glad I didn't see 190. I immediately started watching what I ate when we got back...I would say it was about 15 points yesterday and I am down to 187.5. I will be really conscience of what I eat until I get back down in the low 180's.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oy, sitting in my office with the tv playing in the background and this commercial came up.
KFC has a Chicken/Donut sandwich, really???
Because we're not obese enough?
I guess it came out last fall, but I haven't seen it, and really don't feel like I'm missing out.
Who eats this stuff?

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oy, sitting in my office with the tv playing in the background and this commercial came up.
KFC has a Chicken/Donut sandwich, really???
Because we're not obese enough?
I guess it came out last fall, but I haven't seen it, and really don't feel like I'm missing out.
Who eats this stuff?
I thought it was a joke when I first saw this! No way this could be serious! Ha ha ha.......... nope from Extreme Skiing to Extreme Eating! This is KFC's answer to the crazy popular Popeye's chicken sandwich. Really not understanding this battle... :huh: The Popeye's sandwich has caused an absolute uproar in urban communities. Not good!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, I was up too. I stopped tracking a few months ago and I was staying between 182-185 (which I am very OK with). When I got back from Jackson, I was 189.6 :geek:, I am just glad I didn't see 190. I immediately started watching what I ate when we got back...I would say it was about 15 points yesterday and I am down to 187.5. I will be really conscience of what I eat until I get back down in the low 180's.
Down below 185 again..184.3 just by mentally tracking my points, I have been staying in the 25-30 point range and no drinking. I'd like to get down closer to 180 before heading to Sun Valley for the HoF event where I know we will not be good.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Down below 185 again..184.3 just by mentally tracking my points, I have been staying in the 25-30 point range and no drinking. I'd like to get down closer to 180 before heading to Sun Valley for the HoF event where I know we will not be good.
Good for you.
I've been laying around feeling sick and drinking lots of water. Bourbon in the form of hot toddy adjust feeling yucky.
I weighed in at 140.6 today. Ugh, didn't want to be above 140 again, but here I am.
But, honestly, I don't feel like its body weight, I feel like its bloated from drinking so much fluids.
I haven't been eating badly and I haven't been grazing. Just drinking lots of herbal tea and water, with the occasional spiked herbal tea.

:(

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Even though I gained a few lbs at the Gathering, I skied longer days than I have in the past few years and I had legs left at the end of every day.
There are members here who hadn't seen this thread or realized that I/we had lost weight so we got several compliments and many questions about how it may have changed our skiing.
For me, it increased my stamina in a huge way.

Me too! Club Med comes with all day "lessons" that is really more of a guided ski experience with instructional tips and tidbits. We skied all three valleys yesterday for a total of 41km. I was a bit worried before going because we are the seniors of the group most of whom were mid 30s. I was definitely tired on the last run home but that was also due to a bit too much wine at our late lunch stop! Luckily, most skiing was before 2:00 and pre-wine. I don't think I could have kept up with the group last year.
I weighed in at 140.6 today. Ugh, didn't want to be above 140 again, but here I am.
But, honestly, I don't feel like its body weight, I feel like its bloated from drinking so much fluids.
I haven't been eating badly and I haven't been grazing. Just drinking lots of herbal tea and water, with the occasional spiked herbal tea.

:(
Seriously, don't worry about it when you are sick. It will come off really quickly once you can get back to your normal eating habits. I have gained every trip this year from 2-8 lbs depending and it all came off in 1.5 weeks.

Sponsor

Staff online