• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It has been a while since I posted in this thread. I will say I stopped counting points a few weeks ago. In that time my weight has been constantly in the 181-183 pound range because I was mentally counting my points and was concience to what I was eating. I did crest to 185.7 this past Monday then today I was back down to 182.6. I admit I have been lazy and need to get back to counting.

A funny acecdote. I was at the shop over the weekend and was talking to a customer about skis. /long story short/ as he was leaving, he saw the S.S. Pugski and said "Oh Pugski is here". At the time I was wearing a Pugski hat and the Pugski shop apron. I looked at him and said, "Thats me, I am Philpug". He said "No, you couldn't be, that guy is big and fat". :roflmao:
I laughed :D

So, folks, how are the holidays treating you so far?
I realized that portion control for Thanksgiving dinner was key. Mostly I ate turkey to fill me up at zero points and ate the potatoes and other trappings sparingly.
I'm still hanging in between 135-137, waiting (or weighting) for that next plateau break through.
My goal weight was officially 135, but I'd personally like to be closer to 130 so I have a 5 lb safety net.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great, good for you! Weight loss is so crucial to get your fitness up and going. I just read an article about exercises to do to get fit for the slopes. They are just simple tips that really help to improve your overall fitness. I find yoga particularly helpful. Have a look, it will help you to feel even stronger and even more toned: https://singleparentsonholiday.co.uk/5-easy-tips-on-how-to-get-fit-for-the-ski-season/
Welcome!
Not sure how I missed your post a few weeks ago.
That link has some good information. Thanks for sharing

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am hovering closer to 125 and would prefer to get down to 120 for safety also. As long as I get on quickly, the weight gained from holiday/travel etc. is lost quickly. My concern is that there are a bunch of holidays and a bunch of traveling all clustered together. It's good fun but I need to be cautious.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at 136 before our extended Mammoth trip. Hoping I'm still there when we get home. No scale in Mammoth.

My original goal was 140 but I am now shooting for 130. As others have mentioned, I hope to stay between 130-135. Over the years I have found anything lower to be difficult to maintain.

An unexpected benefit has been that my ski boots fit better. I have skied 7 days and have had zero foot pain. That alone is a very good motive to maintain my weight loss!!!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
It has been a while since I posted in this thread. I will say I stopped counting points a few weeks ago. In that time my weight has been constantly in the 181-183 pound range because I was mentally counting my points and was concience to what I was eating. I did crest to 185.7 this past Monday then today I was back down to 182.6. I admit I have been lazy and need to get back to counting.

A funny acecdote. I was at the shop over the weekend and was talking to a customer about skis. /long story short/ as he was leaving, he saw the S.S. Pugski and said "Oh Pugski is here". At the time I was wearing a Pugski hat and the Pugski shop apron. I looked at him and said, "Thats me, I am Philpug". He said "No, you couldn't be, that guy is big and fat". :roflmao:

I think that understanding what foods and amounts rack up the calories and eventually add weight is huge. When I stopped WW the concepts were still in my head and I was aware of what I ate. I gained weight back generally speaking but at least I knew why.

WW was a nutrition class. I now check the label when in doubt. I have abandoned the macro-nutrient breakdown, but the label reveals important info about diet. I do not count calories or points any more generally speaking.

My calorie intake is much higher now but I am able keep the lbs off. When I eat clean Paleo, my health is better. But it all began with WW and understanding the make-up of my diet. WW makes it easy to understand food.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently skiing is excellent for weight loss. I started out 10 days ago at 136. Arrived home yesterday at 132. I guess I'm only one ski trip away from reaching my goal!!!

I ate about the same as I've been doing at home, but apparently exercised a lot more. Or perhaps it was all the shivering I did!!! Either way, I'm very happy with the outcome.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Apparently skiing is excellent for weight loss. I started out 10 days ago at 136. Arrived home yesterday at 132. I guess I'm only one ski trip away from reaching my goal!!!

I ate about the same as I've been doing at home, but apparently exercised a lot more. Or perhaps it was all the shivering I did!!! Either way, I'm very happy with the outcome.
Funny you should say that.
I haven't found weight loss from skiing, but I have found that skiing is much easier and I feel a lot more agile on snow with the weight loss.
It was a cold start to the day yesterday so we were wearing our down puffies. I was looking at pictures and chuckled a bit at the idea that we both look slimmer in down jackets now than we did in shells last year.

I'm still bouncing between 135-136. I should probably pack a lunch instead of eating resort food for lunch.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Tricia. I too feel more agile this season. I freely admit that last winter was not a good one for me. I felt very clumsy on snow and off. In fact (true confession!) I was embarrassed to ski with any of my friends.

On our next trip I plan to try my Renouns again. I think that last season my weight was overpowering and I didn't enjoy using them. I hope to love them this season.

As to packing a lunch, definitely. These days I eat a protein bar and drink a lot of water. That may change as I move into a maintenance mode.

I think that we are all figuring this out as we go along. All hints and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
I use the gym a lot. I workout on some of the machines. I also have a fitness trainer. The gym has completely redefined personal fitness for me. I set goals each month. I also lift weights and do squats and other exercises. What exercises would you guys recommend for skiers?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I use the gym a lot. I workout on some of the machines. I also have a fitness trainer. The gym has completely redefined personal fitness for me. I set goals each month. I also lift weights and do squats and other exercises. What exercises would you guys recommend for skiers?
The Skier's edge does help for skiing fitness but it can also has the potential to become just another piece of fitness equipment taking up space in your house.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well between the Caribbean cruise, Holiday celebrations, and a kidney infection - I gained 5 pounds. How did a kidney infection cause weight gain? Easy, I still had an appetite but a fever of 102 pretty eliminated any movement or any cooking. At least I was able to ski a few hours yesterday and again today. I'm hoping my stamina builds back up quickly.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well between the Caribbean cruise, Holiday celebrations, and a kidney infection - I gained 5 pounds. How did a kidney infection cause weight gain? Easy, I still had an appetite but a fever of 102 pretty eliminated any movement or any cooking. At least I was able to ski a few hours yesterday and again today. I'm hoping my stamina builds back up quickly.

Just curious, how does one acquire a kidney infection? I want to know what to avoid.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious, how does one acquire a kidney infection? I want to know what to avoid.
As best we can tell, I developed a UTI while in the Caribbean and it spread to the kidneys. I did not have any of the symptoms of a kidney infection. I had only a mild ache in my lower back and everyone I know - who ever had a kidney infection - described it as being kicked in the back by a mule. I've never had a UTI before, and it was definitely annoying, but it did not feel like an emergency. Then I woke up one morning shaking so hard that I couldn't hold a glass of water. I had a fever of 102.4. Because my back pain was mild, they kept diagnosing it as the flu. Finally, after 3 days a doctor woke up and said but you don't have other flu symptoms! It was horrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy ... of course, I don't have an enemy ... maybe if I had one?

As for the UTI? No idea. I was on a cruise and drank more alcohol than usual, but I also drank lots of water. I didn't do anything differently than normal. I did hike up to a volcano and take a sulfuric mud bath, but I doubt that was the cause.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pat AKA mustski I know several people who have been traveling and have caught nasty infections. It seems that travel, particularly outside the country, exposes the body to germs for which it has no defense.

It has certainly happened to us more than once. It's really a shame when an exciting vacation abroad (or the trip home) is ruined by a vicious bug.

Glad the doctors finally figured it out and that you're feeling better.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally, after 3 days a doctor woke up and said but you don't have other flu symptoms! It was horrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy .

glad they figured it out and you're recovering ... sucks not knowing what one has.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, one added trick to perhaps limit number of holiday or any treats is getting into habit of brushing and flossing after eating ...

You may not grab that quick snack/treat/cookie if you have to go brush again. Idea being is that once your used to brushed clean teeth, if brushing isn't handy or convenient, you may just skip that quick one off snack.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@pete the holiday snacks didn't seem to affect me so much. I just ate what I felt like eating and counted the points. The only thing that tempted me that could be perceived to be bad was the home made Peppermint bark that my co-worker's mom sent her.

Today I finally broke the pound barrier!
134.0:yahoo::yeah:

On another note:
@Andy Mink and I were talking about "Lite Phil" and how he's been skiing. It was hard to keep up with him before but now its impossible.

Andy assured me that he's not going to lose weight so I'll still have him to ski with.
:D

Sponsor

Staff online