• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I was actually thinking how I am going to flex a ski.

Just pick up a scuba weight belt. You can easily tack on an extra 30-40# as needed. Then take it off when you go to the bar.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 3.19.09 PM.png

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Congratulations @Philpug! Fantastic. I continue to fluctuate the 2 lbs just above and below 125. It's ok because that is a weight that I am fine with. I would prefer to lose a couple more before we take off for Europe and a cruise next month. I'm counting on walking around a lot to help keep me in a reasonable range. I plan to enjoy eating while on vacation, but hope to make smart choices. It's been a long slow journey for me, so I'll just keep on going.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug and @Tricia congrats on your WW journey! I am sure you will find you have more energy and therefore can flex your skis!

I did WW for a month and lost 7 lbs. I liked how it made me more mindful of what I was eating.

The exercise I got in Iceland allowed me to maintain that weight, despite fresh baked bread, soups with lots of cream, Icelandic pastries, and good local beer.

Now, back home, I am not doing WW anymore because I think I have the points system engrained in me, and I don’t want to pay for it. Plus, I found I was getting a weird obsession with food. But the connection to a community and the positive reinforcements were great.

It is easy to discover what foods are bad......sugar, processed food, refined carbs. The WW low point foods simply lack those things. So I keep on eating the good stuff, fresh veggies and fruits, fish and chicken, legumes.

And yeah, indulge once in awhile......food is meant to be enjoyed!

Interestingly, I read an article yesterday about how much harder it is for a 50 year old to lose fat, because their body does not burn fat as easily as a younger person. So the keto diet really is not great for an older person because they need carbs and sugars for quick sources of energy. (I tried keto and it made me sick in my stomach).

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug and I are starting a cross country road trip to spend time in Michigan. We'll be on the road a total of 3.5 weeks which is going to be interesting.
The good news is, we're taking our bikes and plan on getting out some, so it won't all be screen and windshield time.

Also, I like it that you get activity points for doing things like raking, mowing the lawn, gardening...
Gotta love getting credit for things you have to do :D

Sooo you are saying you want to do an ass-kicking ride in Utah? :D
We did one today--a new ride to us--and all I want to do is eat! And I want to eat cake!

The better half got signed up for a health and wellness program called Vida as a perk of his work. It has lit a fire in him, and I'm running support and we've both been tracking our intake on our Fitbits, along with our exercise of course. What's surprised me is that I eat a lot less than I thought I did, but WAY too many carbs, so I'm aiming for an intake of 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. It's hard! I'm currently at 50/32/18 and I've made a point to eat a lot of extra protein today, including 2 vegan with super greens protein shakes. I find that I feel like I'm eating a ton. The scale hasn't changed so I guess I must not be, even with two days this week being out for biking due to weather.

Anyway, Phil, that is just amazing what you have done, and Tricia, I don't think where you're at is a problem, because that seems a healthy and sustainable weight for you! Having a partner who is on the ride with you is essentially a guarantee of success. Nice job!

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Congrats! It's interesting to hear you say that the 183 number was scary. (Why?) Both of you have done marvelously in adapting WW philosophy to your lifestyle. You don't feel deprived, cuz it seems from your posts that if you and Trish want X, you adjust Y in order to have X, and you are consistent in sticking to that plan. You also allow change to happen in your life--example: planning to eat not a dozen sliders, but some. You probably feel a heck of a lot better for it.

The law of diminishing marginal utility states that as an individual increases consumption of a single good or service (like a White Castle slider), the marginal utility, that is, the total satisfaction received, decreases with the consumption of each additional unit of that good or service. It's why I would drink the good stuff first, and the plonk later.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Congrats! It's interesting to hear you say that the 183 number was scary. (Why?)
It was scary because it is been decades since I was that weight and when I tried Keto and other dieting plans in rcent years, I bearly could get into the 190's.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was a stressful period in my life when I lost 30 lbs rather quickly (for me). It was scary-exciting because I did not think I could maintain it (and I didn't). I had undesirable effects like hair loss too. I re-gained the weight and then some. At least my hair's ok now!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What was "acceptable" or as @Nancy Hummel said "the new norm" is now working the other way. I weighed in at 183 the other day. Awesome, a huge accomplishment. That day we were on the road, ate out and went to a party...a 47 point day. 47 is almost double my usual dailies of 25. Chinese for lunch, not bad, 8 points but it was the Bratwurst, 13 points, birthday cake, 14 points, chips, and a few bourbons. Did I enjoy it all? Well the birthday cake wasn't worth it, store bought ;). I got on the scale the next morning....bounced betwen 185.5 and 186..I jumped off before it settled. Yes, I got a flat tire. Did I slash my other three tires because I got that flat? No, I put the spare on and went on my way. Today the scale was between 183.0 and 183.5 and this time I stayed around to see where it stopped..183.0. Great.

Where am I goign with this? Well, it used to be the high weight was the norm and the low was anomaly, now the low weight is where it's at and the blip is the high weight. I think my body is saying that it likes what I am not so much doing to it but doing for it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had undesirable effects like hair loss too. I re-gained the weight and then some. At least my hair's ok now!
:thumb:

Puts me tangentially in mind of a quote from an otherwise not-very-memorable movie:

"After forty years, you have to choose between your ass and your face"
-Concussion (2013)

(and, just in case you were wondering, guys are exactly as vain about that $ht)

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There was a stressful period in my life when I lost 30 lbs rather quickly (for me). It was scary-exciting because I did not think I could maintain it (and I didn't). I had undesirable effects like hair loss too. I re-gained the weight and then some. At least my hair's ok now!
I had a stressful time in my life like that. I was super skinny, not strong and my hair was getting really thin.
I'm' currently in a point of my life where my hair is getting thicker and I'm stronger. Its a beautiful thing.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm interested to hear how you guys keep it together while on the road. I know you've got some exercise plans, so that will help. I'm off to a conference next week. Home a week. Then out west for a wedding. Then home till ski season I hope. Birthday weekend was bad, but back down and then some.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I also experienced major hair loss during a really stressful time. I had full on bald spots and had to wear hair pieces and wigs for about a year. Stress is no joke! Oddly enough, that experience is one of the things that keeps me from jumping on the cosmetic surgery bandwagon. I had a friend lose her hair by the handfuls following a facelift. I'll keep my wrinkles AND my hair!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a stressful time in my life like that. I was super skinny, not strong and my hair was getting really thin.
I'm' currently in a point of my life where my hair is getting thicker and I'm stronger. Its a beautiful thing.

Oh - if we’re going to make this topic about hair, I’m out of it (pun intended)! lol

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh - if we’re going to make this topic about hair, I’m out of it (pun intended)! lol
Nope. It was just a quick aside! Health is what got me started on this journey and it's what keeps me here. I started in an attempt to lower my cholesterol and avoid medication. I discovered a side benefit of weight loss and my GERD went completely away. My hair and nails both became stronger and healthier. I take that as a sign of better health over all - hence I continue the journey. WW is just my latest approach, and I do like it as a system. It's easy.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I discovered a side benefit of weight loss and my GERD went completely away. My hair and nails both became stronger and healthier. I take that as a sign of better health over all - hence I continue the journey. WW is just my latest approach, and I do like it as a system. It's easy.
:thumb: another common side benefit - snoring control.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nope. It was just a quick aside! Health is what got me started on this journey and it's what keeps me here. I started in an attempt to lower my cholesterol and avoid medication. I discovered a side benefit of weight loss and my GERD went completely away. My hair and nails both became stronger and healthier. I take that as a sign of better health over all - hence I continue the journey. WW is just my latest approach, and I do like it as a system. It's easy.

I get it, I was just joking and didn’t intend to throw water on the added benefits of weight loss and the better health that goes with it on a lot of fronts. Sorry.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Between a bike crash with broken teeth and a bad case of the flu, I have been off the WW wagon for a couple of weeks. No weight loss but no gain, either. Back on now. I stopped tracking for a couple of weeks but still made decent choices.

Sponsor

Staff online