• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Gyms can be soulless. Yoga can be soulful, as is the outdoors.
Don’t think you need to “disguise” exercise as fun! It should be fun, then it will become an engrained part of our lives.
Also, gardening, yard work, doing laundry....those everyday tasks, are exercise, too.

The gym is completely soulless. I will never be a gym rat. I think exercise can be fun for me if it's combined with a fun activity. Disc golf on a mountain side is a way to get me to hike. It's uphill walking at Magic and downhill walking at Bromley and it's all fun. I've also been doing quite a bit of hiking up ski mountains this summer and while this is to a degree still some kind of torture it's getting easier, a little fun and a hell of a lot better than the gym. I just love being outside. I'm not a yard work or gardening person but I can appreciate how that's a form of exercise. I am a lazy person but I do love being outside and if I'm doing something fun that's also a workout then it's a win win. We competed in a golf/disc golf charity event saturday. 9 holes of golf and 9 holes of disc golf and I was pretty pooped by the end of the day but it was sure fun. When we are at the condo we get more exercise, walking up lawn to/from car, up/downstairs to check the mail, do laundry or play foosball, it's all a small work out. I like to think it all adds up to good stuff.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Walking the dogs!
My mutt is definitely happy that I am trying to exercise more, that does translate to more walks for him.

I hate the treadmill, a stationary bike, etc as it’s boring as hel
My exercise bike is strategically placed near a tv. I have been known to watch really bad ski themed movies while pedaling. Or I'll often have my phone out and be scrolling through various ski forums or WW connect to pass the time. I figure instead of sitting on my butt in the kitchen doing that, I might as well park my butt on the exercise bike while I scrolling. I put an old smaller tv in front of the Skier's Edge, but have yet to hook up a fire stick or anything to it. Maybe I should get the Warren Miller Decades Digital movie collection on USB for that tv.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My biggest problem with exercise is....I don’t like it! lol

I hate the treadmill, a stationary bike, etc as it’s boring as hell, same with all the mat and band exercises. These are like being the 2nd dog on the dogsled for me cuz the view never changes. For me to stick with it, I have to be on the go, doing something. My wife thinks I’m nuts because I’ll go out and walk miles in the rain, cold, snow whatever as opposed to getting on our treadmill or elliptical. Weight training I deal with because it is what is is. At least it’s a lot of different lifts and motions and you can get a good workout quickly if you don’t use the time as the social hour. That said, I’d rather swing a maul to split wood for a couple hours than do arm and shoulder work.

This is why we can be friends. :D
I really don't like exercising, but I love outdoor activity.
When we were busy for a couple weeks and I didn't get time on my bike, I really missed it.
I had a $1,000 spin bike in my house for 10 years and never missed it once until I sold it and didn't have a place to hang my clothes. :roflmao:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is why we can be friends. :D
I really don't like exercising, but I love outdoor activity.
When we were busy for a couple weeks and I didn't get time on my bike, I really missed it.
I had a $1,000 spin bike in my house for 10 years and never missed it once until I sold it and didn't have a place to hang my clothes. :roflmao:

Agreed. You’ll think I’m nuts but the main reason I started skiing at 45 years old was to keep from going crazy sitting in the house during the winter. Of course I learned to love it for other reasons such as the challenge to improve, etc but the draw to get out is still the same. I’d rather take a good beating as sit in the house.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I spent 3 weeks this summer in a small town in Iceland, Ísafjörður, taking an Icelandic language course. I didn’t have a car. My house was 3 km from the school, and we got a 2 hr break for lunch and dinner. So, I ended up walking at least 12 km/day back and forth (about 7 miles). If I decided to go on a hike when I had some free time, that was more walking, as hiking trails snaked all along the fjord and up the mountainsides. Many Icelanders rode their bikes to work, transporting their kids to day care in a trailer on the back on the way, no matter the weather. For over half my stay the weather was in the upper 30’s, windy, and wet. It didn’t stop anyone from cycling or walking. On top of that, the local public pool is the town social spot. So, “exercise” there isn’t something one needs to plan to do, it just happens as a matter of course. ogsmile

With that kind of lifestyle, no one needs to think about exercise!
AE78F30D-7C4F-45AD-8617-50F6E493AF58.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I could find time to road trip to NV (or MI) and deliver you mine. :)
The only down side is that its not easy to hang clothing on like my spin bike ;)

The up side is, we'd get to spend time with you.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, “exercise” there isn’t something one needs to plan to do, it just happens as a matter of course. ogsmile

With that kind of lifestyle, no one needs to think about exercise!
Exactly!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I started this journey...I was at a scary weight of 208lb.I thought it never could happen, but it did. I was very disappointed in myself looking at what was acceptable as being the new norm. 190 for years was my average weight...then it started going up a bit...195....Then I wanted to get back to 190...then it started bouncing between 195-200...then that was the norm...then 200-205...and I thought I just need to get below 200 again...and that would have been "acceptable". Then 206...207...208...when we will I see 201..the next week? No. Back to no carbs...but as in the past it didn't work..I don't know why expected to work this time. I dropped a few pounds down to 203 but I knew it wasn't working and that I would fail again. In the meantime @Tricia started Weight Watchers and she was immediately seeing results. So I started it too. I thought if I can only get down to my (original) "Published Weight" of 190...that would be a huge goal. I haven't seen 190 since about 2010 or so. I started WW on 6/19/19 and within a week I saw 199.5. I was in One-derland. (What WW members call being under 200lb) , I thought "this is working..I can get to 190.. Now, can I do 185? Once I got to 193...I thought 183 would be 20 pounds lost from where I started WW and 25 pounds from my highest weight. Honestly the number of 183 scared me. Today I hit it, 183 LB! Less than 3 months in too.

Let's look back 24 hours. We were getting ready to go on our trip to Michigan. Tricia asked if my 36 jeans would fit OK. I thought, they should (they were getting snug) ....I might have lost a few pounds so I will wear a belt. Haha. I put them on and they just fell off. Damn. We go down to Old Navy and I grab some 34's which should be OK...nope, too big too. Could I be a 32? I haven't been a 32 since the late 1980s. I put them on and while I was able to button them, they felt like my 36's when I started, I went for a 33. I bought two pairs but honestly, I will be returning one of them. My "You've reached your goal!" pendent came yesterday too, I am assuming this was based on my previous goal of 185 pounds.

We started with the WW 3 month introductory plan and I would hedge my bets and see how it goes from there. In this time many people from here and other friends have signed up and used us as referrals and I have gotten a few free months coming my way. I put referral ad on the site and have also gotten some months from that so I plan on keeping on keeping on. Do I plan to lose more weight? Another 5 would be good, 178 pounds will be a loss of 30 from the spring. Honestly, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and eating the way I am eating because it feels right. I have 25 points to work with and that works for me. If I went into maintenance mode, I would have 30, I still think I would use just the 25 anyway. When we go to Michigan, I am sure as hell going to stop at White Castle and get some sliders but instead of having my previous serving of a dozen, I might just have half of that. I will be over my 25 points that day but it doesn't mean I will fall off the wagon, the next day I will be back to what has gotten me here.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.19.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.12.33 AM.png
jZuDOLr1RVuT4VsDOJLgzw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_784a.jpeg

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I started this journey...I was at a scary weight of 208lb.I thought it never could happen, but it did. I was very disappointed in myself looking at what was acceptable as being the new norm. 190 for years was my average weight...then it started going up a bit...195....Then I wanted to get back to 190...then it started bouncing between 195-200...then that was the norm...then 200-205...and I thought I just need to get below 200 again...and that would have been "acceptable". Then 206...207...208...when we will I see 201..the next week? No. Back to no carbs...but as in the past it didn't work..I don't know why expected to work this time. I dropped a few pounds down to 203 but I knew it wasn't working and that I would fail again. In the meantime @Tricia started Weight Watchers and she was immediately seeing results. So I started it too. I thought if I can only get down to my (original) "Published Weight" of 190...that would be a huge goal. I haven't seen 190 since about 2010 or so. I started WW on 6/19/19 and within a week I saw 199.5. I was in One-derland. (What WW members call being under 200lb) , I thought "this is working..I can get to 190.. Now, can I do 185? Once I got to 193...I thought 183 would be 20 pounds lost from where I started WW and 25 pounds from my highest weight. Honestly the number of 183 scared me. Today I hit it, 183 LB! Less than 3 months in too.

Let's look back 24 hours. We were getting ready to go on our trip to Michigan. Tricia asked if my 36 jeans would fit OK. I thought, they should (they were getting snug) ....I might have lost a few pounds so I will wear a belt. Haha. I put them on and they just fell off. Damn. We go down to Old Navy and I grab some 34's which should be OK...nope, too big too. Could I be a 32? I haven't been a 32 since the late 1980s. I put them on and while I was able to button them, they felt like my 36's when I started, I went for a 33. I bought two pairs but honestly, I will be returning one of them. My "You've reached your goal!" pendent came yesterday too, I am assuming this was based on my previous goal of 185 pounds.

We started with the WW 3 month introductory plan and I would hedge my bets and see how it goes from there. In this time many people from here and other friends have signed up and used us as referrals and I have gotten a few free months coming my way. I put referral ad on the site and have also gotten some months from that so I plan on keeping on keeping on. Do I plan to lose more weight? Another 5 would be good, 178 pounds will be a loss of 30 from the spring. Honestly, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and eating the way I am eating because it feels right. I have 25 points to work with and that works for me. If I went into maintenance mode, I would have 30, I still think I would use just the 25 anyway. When we go to Michigan, I am sure as hell going to stop at White Castle and get some sliders but instead of having my previous serving of a dozen, I might just have half of that. I will be over my 25 points that day but it doesn't mean I will fall off the wagon, the next day I will be back to what has gotten me here.
View attachment 79935 View attachment 79936 View attachment 79937
View attachment 79938

You go dude! I’m proud of you!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 79935 View attachment 79936 View attachment 79937
View attachment 79938
I'm so glad you are on this journey with me. Its not just about weight loss, its about wellness.
#wellnesswins!

Sponsor