• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weekend warriors: How do you choose a wax?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not if you do it the correct way (and thanks to @BGreen for the guidance on this!) . Approximately: Iron it on, leave 10 minutes, iron again, leave for a couple of minutes then scrape and brush. And yes, i have been using CH4, LF4 and LFH4 for the last couple of weeks. I have found in recent years that I get better speed/ glide and longevity out of race skis by going a notch or 2 lower on temperature than you would expect from the stated ratings. And also on a well ( race ready) brushed race ski, performance drops off after 4 runs, regardless of the original wax

Good points. I struggld mightily with CH4 when I was more of a rookie with waxing for sure. Heating it back up before scrapping is the method I use as well and it helps a ton. As does starting with a warmed up ski.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Dude !!!!!

For Tahoe super hot sauce is perfect, it will last 3 days with the op's lifestyle and work in all conditions Tahoe will throw at it.

In the spring I like the spring solution but have also toyed with swix fx universal too

Best of all hertel is a Bay Area business
So support the local economy

And yeah dominator is pretty good too
But hertel is a lot more cost effective for me

I tried it and was not impressed. If it works for you, that's fine! I am pretty light weight, so I need really good glide!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And also on a well ( race ready) brushed race ski, performance drops off after 4 runs, regardless of the original wax
Sometimes I think it's a blessing that I'm not good enough to notice a lot of these things! Wax, base bevel (OK, I can tell some on that!), etc. Ignorance is bliss?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A vote for the Swix LF waxes. A bit spendy, but what the heck, and this way I have one line of waxes for nordic and alpine.

Ignore any advice from @focker. He lives in Minnesota, the home of Giant's Ridge, where I Ski Patrolled many a time at minus 30 and worse. :)

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
A vote for the Swix LF waxes. A bit spendy, but what the heck, and this way I have one line of waxes for nordic and alpine.

Ignore any advice from @focker. He lives in Minnesota, the home of Giant's Ridge, where I Ski Patrolled many a time at minus 30 and worse. :)

Hey now! We prep our skis for COLD weather here. The snow here is so hard the wax is gone after 2 runs anyway lol...

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a cheapskate with wax, I use Swix universal glide wax for when I simply don't care and Swix universal f4 for when I want to go a bit faster. I used to have a collection of varoius Swix CH waxes for different temps and it just got tedious to be worrying about what I had on my skis, the universals work well enough for my purposes. I have a bar of Swix base prep wax, but I have not used it in like 3 seasons now. My waxing technique could could also use some work but I hot iron it on, let cool for a while, scrape, brush, and that's about it.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I look at all the wax i have and grab the big cheap green bar of cold racewax. I never found that worrying about fancy waxes made any difference in my racing which is 90% on solid ice.
The red stuff is just for repeated cycles after a stone grind, never actually ski on that stuff.
IMAG0742.jpg

Last edited:

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I keep it very simple. Purl Purple as my everyday wax. Easy to work with, big block, good glide and lasts a long time.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dominator All Temp Zoom as Jacques said. Easy...New Snow or Old snow.......Crayon, Wax with Fibertex sheets = easy scrapin'